Synths

redking

Reaction score
I'm interested about getting a "beginner" synth to get my feet wet, but still have it be good enough quality to record and enjoy playing it. I have seen the MOOG sub phatty and sub 37 in my local music store. Any other brands and models worth checking out? Any synth lovers here?

redking

Reaction score
I had a Roland JX-3P that was neat. I’m no keyboard player.
Me neither! It needs to be "strong enough for a man, made for a woman" :) (sorry bad joke! LOL. It needs to be simple enough for a guitar player to figure out)

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm interested about getting a "beginner" synth to get my feet wet, but still have it be good enough quality to record and enjoy playing it. I have seen the MOOG sub phatty and sub 37 in my local music store. Any other brands and models worth checking out? Any synth lovers here?
Very impressed with this one:

Behringer Poly D

filtersweep

Reaction score
I have racks of syths I never use. I’d get a decent used comtroller, a midi interface, and use soft synths if you have any intention on recording. A mini keyboard isn’t very practical as an only keyboard.

redking

Reaction score
I have racks of syths I never use. I’d get a decent used comtroller, a midi interface, and use soft synths if you have any intention on recording. A mini keyboard isn’t very practical as an only keyboard.
I don't even know what this means lol. :jam:Guitar player here. I will never play 2 handed piano.

redking

Reaction score
No kidding? I doubt either synth you mentioned is even polyphonic.
lol. I hunt and peck for the notes on a keyboard! The one Freddy mentioned appears to be. I tried a MOOG Matriarch in the store one day and it blew my mind but its way out of my budget.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Behringer I mentioned above is stupid cheap. And polyphonic. It's DNA is very Moogish.
My keyboard player (been playing with him since 80s) has had every Moog ever made over the years, so I know that sound very well. True to form, he just bought the Moog One (16 voice) actually. It's OMG, holy shit, synth heaven.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Dave Smith / Sequential Circuits stuff is fantastic and you can find some that are inexpensive used. For an entry level device you can get a Mopho dirt cheap but you’d need a keyboard or sequencer. You can probably find a used Prophet ‘08 in a similar price to the others you mention, then cureently there are a ton of great options in that price range.

KP11520

Reaction score
OK.... I'll ask the right question.... finally....

What are you going to do with it? Play out live or stab at it at home or maybe even record with it?

Nothing else matters until that's answered.

twst1up

Reaction score
That's funny, I've recently got the bug too. I've digested alot of YouTube videos in the past few weeks, learnt me a shitload I had never paid attention to.
I've got it down to a couple, the grandmother, the poly d, model d, deepmind, minilogue.

Evidently patents expired or some shit and behringer has been releasing all kinds of clones of classic synths for a fraction of the price, if u can even find them

Last edited:

KP11520

Reaction score
Then why not buy an 88 Key Midi Keyboard and use the incredible value of so many instruments via software rather than buying way more expensive and space taking said instruments? At this point there's so many realistic Virtual Instrument packages out there. Some even free.

Last edited:

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
My old Yamaha Motif XF6 is out of production. They sell for around 50% of the cost of newer version synths. Nice sounds and pretty reliable. One thing you may wish to look for is A/D sampling capability. This allows you to sample line level music sources, and build a library of sounds that you can then trigger from the keyboard. Also handy for creating beat loops.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
For recording, I would say with all the plug-ins out there, get a damn good controller and use plug-ins.
You can also find used modules cheap.

Back in my keyboard days, I had Sequntial Circuits, Korgs, Moogs, Yamahas.
I prefer Yamaha and Korg engines for samples, full synth I love Moog and Oberheim filters, Yamaha for complexity of waveforms, and Roland for spacey rev from hell patches. I still have a Yamaha SY which besides killer samples, has the DX engine in it. Have one of my old Korg DW8000s for hybrid. Would love to have a Roland D-50 module too.

But again, I’d buy a good weighted key controller and use DAW plug-ins. You can have it all...

Our keyboard player now stopped using his flagship Yamaha Digital Piano and used his new top shelf M-Audio 88 key controller and a Nord module, and used it for three or four gigs before I noticed....and I am slider munky for the band, multi-instrument including keyboards and I didn’t notice a difference from the high dollar Yamaha of his. Sounds killer. I’d notice the difference if I played it blindfolded, from feel as Yamaha has the best key bed outside of the old Kurz 250, but the Nord module is killer.

Yep, good quality midi kb controller and DAW plug-ins and/or used modules to start with. Old modules are pretty cheap on fleabay and such and you get hellacious synth horsepower relatively cheap.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nutshell, doesn’t make sense to spend a good chunk of geet on a one trick pony.