Sykes and Gorham gear info

WoodyTone

Reaction score
Guys -- Just put up a piece on my blog about Sykes' and Gorham's gear. Lots of Lester info therein, of course. Looks like Gorham may return to LPs -- but he has a bad back so the Lesters have to be.... Uh-huh.

Oops -- blog at:
WoodyTone!

Don't forget to play yer axe this weekend! I will be checkin' out gear at the NY/NJ amp show on Sat if anyone else will be slingin' a Lester there. I think I'm actually going to bring my Epi goldtop -- really been digging that lately (P-90s).

EEF13

Reaction score
I love Sykes and Gorham. Gorham made we want to buy a Deluxe.

ehamady6

Reaction score
John Sykes' #1 inspired the mods I made to my Custom. I usually go to John Sykes Guitars for said inspiration.

ehamady6-albums-ehamady6-album-picture10571-impaler.jpg

ehamady6

Reaction score
Why don't you use the Dirty Fingers?

Dirty Fingers humbuckers are cool and would give me JS's tone, but I'm into playing heavier music and active EMGs give me the Hardcore/Norwegian Black Metal attack I crave when tuning down. I got hooked on the EMG 81/85 set when I had my Gibson Zakk Wylde. It'd be tough going back to passives.

Satch0922

Reaction score
Damn!! This is a cool read...

"John Sykes, meanwhile, takes just two guitars on the road — his customised Gary Rossington Les Paul and his favourite black Les Paul. John Gaillard is lucky if he gets more than a meandering glance at the black one, although he did have to take it to Ireland with him when the airline wouldn't take it inside the plane.
"John will not let anyone touch his Les Paul," he says. "He'll change his own strings and tune his own guitar, and, usually, he doesn't tune it once during a show — you can guarantee by the end of the show the guitar is spot on!"
There was, however, one exception to the usual scheme of things on the last Lizzy tour. "Once he put a fresh set of strings [Ernie Ball reinforced .10s] on and he must have had a really bad string because the top E started slipping straight away," recalls John. "He looked at me and I looked at him, and he said, 'What the hell is going on?' and it just would not stop. There's a big solo to do during 'Still In Love With You', and that was coming up and he only got a break after that. So at the end of every song, he manually re-tuned the string up. I don't know how, but he managed to bluff his way through the five- or six-minute solo in 'Still In Love' with a really bad top E. Then he came off stage and said, 'I don't know what the hell is going on, just give me another string! I managed to get on with this, but I can't do it anymore!' So he changed the string really quickly and that was it, no fuss — he just did it himself and he was happy as Larry!"

EEF13

Reaction score
Dirty Fingers humbuckers are cool and would give me JS's tone, but I'm into playing heavier music and active EMGs give me the Hardcore/Norwegian Black Metal attack I crave when tuning down. I got hooked on the EMG 81/85 set when I had my Gibson Zakk Wylde. It'd be tough going back to passives.

I thought the Dirty Fingers could handle that kind of metal

WildeStarr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kickass man. Have you ever met John Sykes?

That pic was from the 21 Guns Tour in 1992, in the back of the tour bus. I met all the Lizzy guys on the 1997 US Tour. John did not talk much when I asked him a few questions before sound check, but he was still cool. I sat at the bar with Brian Downey for about 20 minutes, he was great.
I was fortunate to see TL with Phil 1 time, that was back in 1980.

EEF13

Reaction score
That pic was from the 21 Guns Tour in 1992, in the back of the tour bus. I met all the Lizzy guys on the 1997 US Tour. John did not talk much when I asked him a few questions before sound check, but he was still cool. I sat at the bar with Brian Downey for about 20 minutes, he was great.
I was fortunate to see TL with Phil 1 time, that was back in 1980.

Very cool. Did you have your inspired by John Sykes Les Paul at the time?

WildeStarr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Did you have your inspired by John Sykes Les Paul at the time?

I picked up that guitar around 1991 or 92. I slowly changed it over the years. It was not inspired by JS guitar.

Latest Threads