Switchcraft & Import 3 Way Toggle Switch Basics

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
This video shows you the difference between the hot and ground lugs on a Switchcraft 3 way toggle switch and an Import style toggle switch. It also shows you the different type of nuts used on the Switchcraft toggle switches. Hope this helps out those of you that are doing your own guitar wiring.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5VMEqy7bN0[/ame]

Ole'Lefty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent- the lug differences are so often not noticed or understood-you have done the community another big service.

NovaSDF

Reaction score
This different videos and tutorials have been a huge education for me. Very helpful.

Having said that, if you can't figure out the ground lug on a switchcraft switch, perhaps you should set down the soldering iron and take your guitar to someone else to fix. :lol:

rcole_sooner

Reaction score
I wire 'em backwards every time. At least I'm good at fixin' 'em right afterwards. :laugh2:

net2000

Reaction score
Thanks, Jonesy!

1 - GOD DOES rock!! :thumb:
2 - Thank YOU for being a big blessing to all of us! :applause:
3 - A BIG thank you for all the direct & indirect help you've given us all :h5:

If I ever get the pleasure to meet you in person, I am taking you out for a meal and some cold ones, my friend!

AAJr

NovaSDF

Reaction score
I don't worry about which one is which when I wire a switch. I leave the wires back to the pots long enough to reach either pot. I wire one up first, and if I guessed right then I'm good to go. If I got it wrong, I just unsolder it from the pot in the control cavity and switch it to the other. It's an easy fix, and much easier than changing them at the switch.

Here's another handy tip:

When rewiring your guitar or installing new pickups, put a small piece (1/4 to 1/2 inch) of different color heat shrink tube on your pickup leads just inside the control cavity. I use blue=bridge (since it's easy to remember B=B) and white for the neck. That way, if you ever want to change pots or something in the future, you can easily identify which pickup is which. This is especially important for me, since I tend to use vintage braid for both my pickup leads and the wire from the switch, so the heat shrink on the pickup leads helps me to tell which is which.

ehamady6

Reaction score
I upgraded to a Switchcraft switch in my Custom when I snapped off the stock switch playing the intro to the Tribute version of Crazy Train (the live intro to Cold Gin didn't help either). It's a rock solid switch that handle all the abuse I can throw at it. I wish the deep thread dress nut came in black.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Thanks, Jonesy!

1 - GOD DOES rock!! :thumb:
2 - Thank YOU for being a big blessing to all of us! :applause:
3 - A BIG thank you for all the direct & indirect help you've given us all :h5:

If I ever get the pleasure to meet you in person, I am taking you out for a meal and some cold ones, my friend!

AAJr
That is very kind of you, thanks! :)

roastalot

Reaction score
Are there any benefits to a SwitchCraft switch vs. a metric switch? Is it just durability?