Switch a short neck tenon into a long tenon

Ralle

Reaction score
Hi. The titel may sound stupid, but that's exactly what I've done to my 2006 USA lp Classic 1960... I decreased the neck angle and transformed the tenon into a long one... I haven't played it yet, but so far everything feels great; a better angle and a much more solid neck joint... plus I'm getting a chance to change the colour to whatever I choose... The paint was a black, thick, alomst like plastic paint, wich I'm convinced just had to be a gigantic tonekiller... How do I post pics, so I can show you guys?

BADMAN67

Reaction score
A Standard neck joint is pretty strong as it is. I reckon a lot of this long tenon theory is purely unicorn jizz invented by Gibson to make us lust after Custom Shop. It's only 1/4 , 1/2 or something. What difference does that honestly make What are they saving giving non Custom Shop short tenons? They actually creating work by making them different. I work with wood so I feel qualified to have an opinion. Of course if you've read somewhere thats not right,well that's up to you:)

Ralle

Reaction score
I tried to upload some pics I took along the procces, but they were to big... don't know how to fix that... But I can tell you how I did it: After I got the neck off, I planed down the top to the wanted angle, from the point where the neck enetrs the body. When that was done, I sawed the tenon in half ( horizontal, looking at the neck from the side), removing the bottom half... Made a new piece of mahogany, with the right length and attached it to the remaining tenon. sanded it and adjusted it to fit the newly routed neck pocket, and glued it in. When that was done, I glued in the neck into the new neck pocket. Ofcours I routed the pocket to fit the new neck angle. This where i im at the moment... I'm waiting to take the clamps off and to see if I med a huge misstake, or if it's all a big succes...

jb_abides

Reaction score
I tried to upload some pics I took along the procces, but they were to big... don't know how to fix that... But I can tell you how I did it: After I got the neck off, I planed down the top to the wanted angle, from the point where the neck enetrs the body. When that was done, I sawed the tenon in half ( horizontal, looking at the neck from the side), removing the bottom half... Made a new piece of mahogany, with the right length and attached it to the remaining tenon. sanded it and adjusted it to fit the newly routed neck pocket, and glued it in. When that was done, I glued in the neck into the new neck pocket. Ofcours I routed the pocket to fit the new neck angle. This where i im at the moment... I'm waiting to take the clamps off and to see if I med a huge misstake, or if it's all a big succes...
After all that, did you use hide glue?

Ralle

Reaction score
I used fish glue. I know some say that it's not as good as hide, but I've used it on my other giutars and it works excellent...

Ralle

Reaction score
The real reason I did this is I couldn't stand the huge neck angle I had... the bridge were forced to be set way to high ( about 10 mm up from the body ). The thing about the tenon is something I have been thinking about for a very long... and here I had a chance to do something about it...

sonar1

Reaction score
OK, at the risk of getting mightily flamed:

When I got my R4 Goldtop a couple months ago, I could’ve sworn the notes all were very even sounding, like a PRS.
It has a long neck tenon.

MSB

Reaction score
i guess i got deleted... but still, please expand on how a longer tenon affects the angle?

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Sounds like he made a smaller angle, and while he was at it he made the tenon longer. They don't have any relationship otherwise

BADMAN67

Reaction score
Adding a bit on the end isn't the same as a long tenon. As much difference as that would make anyway. Fish glue? Is that a thing? Cannot imagine how that would smell!

Latest Threads