Sweetwater Exclusive AAA 60's Standard. Is this a nice top?

etcetera.etcetera

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the world of Gibson figured maple tops so I'm not sure if it is worth the extra 200$ for a AAA top. This one appears to be a slight chevron, tiger stripe flame. Not sure if you'd call this a BBQ burst? or pinstripe? Either way, do you think it is nice and would you pay extra for it?

231800207-body-xlarge.jpg

231800207-angle-xlarge.jpg
231800207-front-xlarge.jpg

peobryant

Reaction score
I've found Sweetwater's pictures don't do tops justice at all, they generally look a lot better/more flames in person than they appear in pictures.

Personally, I think that guitar looks great. The top looks good, the fretboard looks nice and dark and you just can't beat a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
take it... it's really nice
these standards are supposed to be AA top, and this one is clearly AAA
also note: sometimes even though the 2020 standards are supposedly AA, I find some of them not even flame

BDW60

Reaction score
If it is 9 pounds or less, I’d grab it. If it’s a boat like most of them, I‘d pass. But that’s just me. Regardless, it’s a very sweet looking guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Only you can answer that question, is it worth the extra $200 for your tastes. The nice thing about Sweetwater, is that you can look at 4 different tops and choose the one you like best. If you look at the other Non-Sweetwater exclusives, do any of them hit that bling zone your looking for. If not, then is it worth $200 for you to get the better bling.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Nice top OP - the Original Collection Standards are sweet guitars for sure.

Is it worth the extra $200? That's your call to make. No one here is going to give you any crap if you pay an extra $200 for that beauty. If you call them and speak to rep, it's possible they may cut you a break on the pirce. It's worth a shot anyway. If you end up getting it, please post photos!

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I agree with the above comments - Sweetwaters images do not convey an accurate representation of their guitars. It seems years ago they had a better image/photo process. Why Sweetwater would want to undersell the products they are moving in an e-commerce environment that is nearly 100% reliant on imagery. Its really a puzzling marketing scheme - you would think they would want to take images that make the most of the visual aspects - its the one clear opportunity they have.

truckermde

Reaction score

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice LP..... I just got the pics of the Iced Tea 50's standard AAA i ordered from them, you really have to look at whole guitar, not just the top. that fretboard looks nice and dark and sub 9 lbs is excellent.

Latest Threads