Sweetwater down to their last in stock Gibson electric guitar

speyfly

Reaction score
I ordered a Classic a couple weeks ago, my rep stated they wont see it until April. The wait is no problem, hope the build quality is there!

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Very interesting post as my wife bought me a R9 in Dirty Lemon for Christmas. She told me to take care of the details. When I talked to my guy at Sweetwater, he told me it would be a 9 month wait if at all to get a Dirty Lemon R9. He emailed me a couple days later to tell me a guy had backed out of special order and he would sell it to me at price he quoted even though it was a few thousand more. He told me it may be the last Dirty Lemon they would get. I thought it was a joke. Today, I noticed this: (Good thing I took him up on his offer)
1959 R9 Discontinued.jpg

Gary Bell

Reaction score
It's been slim pickins at SW for weeks now. The best way to shop for Gibsons right now is in their "Deals" section which are mostly demos/returns with minor issues. There's a nice Lemonburst LP in there along with 2 dozen or so other Gibson models. It changes throughout the day... https://www.sweetwater.com/dealzone/?s=gibson&sb=dateadded
Maybe not related but I was skimming through Sweetwater and looking at Jackson. It was a pre-order sale for a Pro series Jackson SL2 Q MAH Ht. Which is a Jackson soloist hard tail. Manufacturers retail1249$ on sale for 599$ so I pulled the trigger. The next morning I checked and the guitar was at 899$ I called and the Sweetwater guy said I got in under the wire. I am just speculating but I wonder if it was missed marked on the website.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
At L&M I can "select province" and hit enter and it will tell me every store in Canada with stock. I found my used ES-235 that way, and I know that L&M has nary an R4 anywhere. Coulda had one if I was willing to trade and lose on several pieces of gear and still lay out $3000 so I passed and it was the last one they had.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think what’s crazy for me is just in the last year noticing how much prices on used guitars have just skyrocketed.

I mean the higher end stuff from Gibson, Fender and Paul Reed Smith in many cases are $1000-$1500 more than they were a year or two ago. PRS Seems to be in the lower end of mark up though. Gibson and Martin stuff just seems to be through the roof.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what’s crazy for me is just in the last year noticing how much prices on used guitars have just skyrocketed.

I mean the higher end stuff from Gibson, Fender and Paul Reed Smith in many cases are $1000-$1500 more than they were a year or two ago. PRS Seems to be in the lower end of mark up though. Gibson and Martin stuff just seems to be through the roof.
I can't even sell my ibanez prestige for 725 ? I'm like wtf... Mexican fenders go for 900-1400 these days and nobody wants a japanese fuji gen ibanez for 7 bills.... guitar market is weird.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't even sell my ibanez prestige for 725 ? I'm like wtf... Mexican fenders go for 900-1400 these days and nobody wants a japanese fuji gen ibanez for 7 bills.... guitar market is weird.
Yes people are major brand whores anymore me included.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
was in GC 2 days ago they are running low of gibson stock and epiphone stock , i had to wait a week for a new 2020 epi custom LP alpine , they had a few gibson LP /SG's on the wall but nothing in inventory, they were calling other stores out of state and saying 2 weeks before gibson would deliver DEMAND A GREAT DEAL
My GC looks like it's ready to close. I've never seen the guitar wall so barren. It's huge and there's barely anything on it. It's like ever since the bankruptcy was announced nobody gives a shit and the place if just plain dirty. There's trash everywhere that nobody wants to pick up. If you're trying to keep money flowing you'd think they'd at least want the stores to be clean and inviting.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My GC looks like it's ready to close. I've never seen the guitar wall so barren. It's huge and there's barely anything on it. It's like ever since the bankruptcy was announced nobody gives a shit and the place if just plain dirty. There's trash everywhere that nobody wants to pick up. If you're trying to keep money flowing you'd think they'd at least want the stores to be clean and inviting.
Which one ?

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacksonville, FL - Regency location. I haven't been to the other one across town.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
My local Guitar Center has only one Gibson USA Les Paul in stock. A 60s Standard. Nobody will buy it because its so beat up. There's a huge ding in the neck, paint chips all over the headstock and actual buckle rash. :rofl:

The guitar was probably bought and returned a couple times. They marked it down from $2500 to $2k. I wouldn't give them $1000 for it.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacksonville, FL - Regency location. I haven't been to the other one across town.
Have you seen the jaguars new amphitheater/practice field ? Me and my guys painted that... lived there for 2 months doing that work. Different world down there LOL.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local Guitar Center has only one Gibson USA Les Paul in stock. A 60s Standard. Nobody will buy it because its so beat up. There's a huge ding in the neck, paint chips all over the headstock and actual buckle rash. :rofl:

The guitar was probably bought and returned a couple times. They marked it down from $2500 to $2k. I wouldn't give them $1000 for it.
Just subbed to your channel, nice playing and content.

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Japan is what’s going on! Everything is in Japan. What’s up with that? Also, I’ve been buying from out of the USA, not a good idea! Customs really slows things down. Took almost 6 weeks from Switzerland and most of the time neither the seller or myself knew what the hell was going on. I also made the big mistake of purchasing a Strat from a Canadian seller thinking that the customs thing would not be that bad. WRONG! Locked up in customs for several weeks now with no end in sight. No more out of USA purchases for me.
I had the same surprising experience with a guitar purchase from Canada, and have likewise adopted a USA only purchase policy.

Gitter

Reaction score
Where are the Gibsons?? Stores barely have any, used prices are very high. It’s a sellers market for used guitars. Retailers are SOL.
Gibson is trying very hard to keep the pandemic authentic.
According to the prospective dealer in the video I posted earlier in this thread, they were told that supply issues go beyond COVID. A number of things like integrating a new software tracking system during a warehouse move, missing guitars, lack of parts and some lingering management issues apparently also exist.

Latest Threads