Sweetgum wood

45WinMag

Reaction score
I had the tree in my front yard removed yesterday (the townhouses in my row are having this done after the roots of the tree at the end of the street got into their water pipes). I kept some of the trunk in 30" sections. Does anybody know if sweetgum is useful for guitars? All I know about this wood is that it supposedly spalts nicely if you leave it outside for around a year. It would be nice to have a guitar made from my tree in a few years after spalting and then drying. Anybody have any advice on spalting? Do I just throw it out in the yard? Protect it from rain? Leave it directly on the ground?

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the wood database site - Sweet Gum

It says it is prone to warping and not real stable. Frankly you can make anything into an electric guitar. I would paint the ends of those logs and slab them ASAP. Then sticker them and dry them slowly. I would cut them to about 2 1/2" thick and sticker them with 3/4" stickers in a breezy location. You'll need to sit for about 2 1/2 years or take them to a kiln.

Spalting is tricky. It is rotting. You cold let them sit as is but it will be tricky to know when they are spalted the "correct amount". Too little, no spalt, too much and they are rotten. Some wood spalts better than others. I have spalted maple by slabbing it and then leaving it unstickered but stacked outside.

I regularly cut down trees and mill into lumber and have made many guitars from trees cut in my neighbourhood. Some turned out quite nice. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

45WinMag

Reaction score
So, I won't be making a neck out of this stuff, but the pics in the database give me visions of Telecaster bodies. I think I have enough to attempt to spalt some and start drying some, however I have no current means to slab the logs. I found some info on a couple of websites that says this wood should be spalted "in the log", so I suppose I should just toss a couple of the logs in the back yard?

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I won't be making a neck out of this stuff, but the pics in the database give me visions of Telecaster bodies. I think I have enough to attempt to spalt some and start drying some, however I have no current means to slab the logs. I found some info on a couple of websites that says this wood should be spalted "in the log", so I suppose I should just toss a couple of the logs in the back yard?
Yeah - maybe somewhere damp. Just make sure to keep an eye on them.

Do you have any idea how you will slab them? You can try just cutting with a chainsaw. Lots of waste that way but if you have no other options... Do you have some way of planing them?

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads