Swee baby Jesuss, she is amazing!

cvrle1

Reaction score
Yet another Elite on eBay, but this one is special. Made for Japan market, with Gibson headstock, brand new condition, never played, plastic still on. And she is magnificent looking. Bid at $510 (i just put in $500 bid now, so that I feel ok for not winning it). A lot of time left. BIN price of $1800

This may be the guitar I wouldn't mind giving my left nut for :p

Epiphone Elitist Elite Les Paul | eBay

Edit: Cant change the title, I have to many S's in Jesus :(

Bobbyk1978

Reaction score
You realize Skit already has this thread going right? lol

Vinkuhippula

Reaction score
..and the orphans man! Don't forget the orphans..

Although I'm not sure I agree with the black binding and the knobs..

djw171

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar and rare I guess from what the write up says. Is it worth $1800 though? What pickups are in these, it just states made in USA by Gibson.
A 2014 Gibson LP Classic would be a couple hundred more than the BIN price.
I'm not tryign to stire anything here, just interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
There is something wrong with that guitar. I have never seen a JDM Takburst without Tak Matsumoto's signature along the neck under the switch on the body. It is also missing the original Matsumoto case which is unique among Elitist cases. And $1800??? The seller is delusional and from reading his auction, he has no idea what he is selling.

By the way...the pickups in this model are different from the usual Elitist. They are Gibson Burstbucker-2 and Gibson Burstbucker-3 in the neck and bridge respectively.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
There is something wrong with that guitar. I have never seen a JDM Takburst without Tak Matsumoto's signature along the neck under the switch on the body. It is also missing the original Matsumoto case which is unique among Elitist cases. And $1800??? The seller is delusional and from reading his auction, he has no idea what he is selling.

By the way...the pickups in this model are different from the usual Elitist. They are Gibson Burstbucker-2 and Gibson Burstbucker-3 in the neck and bridge respectively.

This is what the seller replied when I asked him how he bought it from Epiphone.
"Thanks for the message. Epiphone moved to a new building in January of last year and had a big moving sale at their old location. That's where I bought this. So technically I guess it was not a factory direct sale, but it was purchased directly from Epiphone."

Tanqueray

Reaction score
I've always thought those quilt tops were pretty cool, but for some reason I would never want to own one. Especially not for $1800. I spent considerably less than that on a brand new Gibson LP Traditional.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
I think I remember a few posts about that sale. It's possible that this was a display or demo model that was sold along with a lot of other gear. That would explain not having the correct case or the signature on the body of the guitar. It's also possible that not all JDM Takbursts had the signature, but all those I have seen pics of do have it and export versions do not.

The price is still insane, however. :D

houston

Reaction score
So in a nutshell, this is a JDM Tak, but with missing and/or incorrect bits?

Seems the seller is trying mainly to capitalize on its uniqueness (assuming his story makes sense). But what's a correct JDM Tak go for (if sold domestically or having one imported)? I don't see how this should be worth more than one of those.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
Taks are among the hardest to find Elitists around. I don't know if that's because few were made or it people just love them and hang on to them, but you don't see too many for sale. I've seen the JDM version sell in the past in the $1400 range which is about what they sold for when new, and even the export versions with the tombstone headstock sell for around $1200 and up.

Barcham

Elitist Club Member
Reaction score
It's an Elitist. Even if it was all beat up it would be a good buy at $600. In the condition it's in, at that low a price it would be an amazing chance to flip it.

twilliams

Reaction score
That one is located about 20 mins from me but as has already been said he has lost his mind with an $1800 price tag

cvrle1

Reaction score
Yes, BIN price is insane. I would never buy it for anything close to that, but at 1/2 of it, it may be worth it. I dont think I would pay $900 for it either, but that is mainly because I wouldnt spend that much on any guitar, not just this one. I would have liked Japanese market Elitist, but not for the insane prices they go for. Someone will get a great guitar none the less. Only question is will they get a steal of the price or pay something considered normal for it, or will they get fleeced.

Latest Threads