Sweden's air travel declines as 'flight shaming' takes off

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm.

That is looking like far more than SJWs and "ecolo-cops".

It looks like a more organized and concerted effort to limit the ability to travel. And if they control the public transport, they can get people dependant on that and then seriously curtail it TOO, later. The only reason for government to do that, is to exert more and tighter control over people - and it's NEVER for a good reason, only bad reasons.

Ecology, planet, emissions are just the excuses they use to sell it.
You're only just now catching on?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
mgenet,

That would be one wet train ride. Here in the part of the US I live in (SW Colorado) it is a 7 hour drive to Denver, some 280 miles away. It is not a fast drive as too many highways on the way are criminally obsolete. If we had a multi lane 80 mph interstate, I’d drive it, but we don’t. And if we had a 100 mph train, I’d sure take that. So, I have to fly, even though I don’t want to. Not because of environmental concern, but I have to fly because it is the only way to get there in a reasonable time. It only takes about 2 1/2 hours (counting all the time screwing around in airports) whereas I could take a train or drive it in the same time if we had the same good infrastructure they have in a lot of Europe. I don’t know anything about the degree of pollution from airliners, compared to cars or trains on the same route. But I would take an alternative to flying if there were a reasonable one — but there isn’t.
That's because there are like 4 houses between Durango and Denver. :rofl:

I've driven the entire stretch of I-70 across the state.

Last edited:

lancpudn

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm.

That is looking like far more than SJWs and "ecolo-cops".

It looks like a more organized and concerted effort to limit the ability to travel. And if they control the public transport, they can get people dependant on that and then seriously curtail it TOO, later. The only reason for government to do that, is to exert more and tighter control over people - and it's NEVER for a good reason, only bad reasons.

Ecology, planet, emissions are just the excuses they use to sell it.
Yeah they want to kill two birds with one stone! Congestion & emissions, The madness has already started and I read yesterday that Chester city council is demolishing it's council run car parks & building a bus station in their place :shock:

More car job cuts announced today. :(

1578998781822.png

Last edited:

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
In many European countries intra-country travel by train has always been more popular than flying. Flying there (as here) is a hassle. Seating is uncomfortable and cramped (unless you shell out for first or business class). In many countries in Europe trains have more routes and are faster and more comfortable than those in the US, and less expensive to take than intra country air. But it is obviously impossible to take a train from the US to Europe!
Yes, and no. Trains are horribly expensive in Europe, in most places more expensive than taking an airplane, or even driving....

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dancing Queen

Shaming teen
Only seventeen
Dancing Queen

Shaming teen
Only seventeen

" da-da, da-da, da-da..

Life so green, hypocrite on the eco-scene..

<add tension chord>

You can shame, you can chide,

having the time of your life.. oooh.

<and resolve>

See that girl, scowl so mean, digging the shaming queen.."

Last edited:

HearHear

Reaction score
Planes are nothing compared to cruise ships (from Forbes):

"The data collected reveals that standing on the deck of a cruise ship is similar to being in one of the world’s most polluted cities"

"...in the United Kingdom, local environmental groups have demonstrated that a single cruise ship can emit as much pollution as 700 trucks and as much particulate matter as a million cars."

"It has been estimated that between 40,000 and 100,000 Britons die prematurely every year as a result of emissions from the shipping and cruise industries, with major port-cities such as Southampton, Grimsby and Liverpool particularly affected."

From "Transport & Environment": Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017

If one is seriously looking to combat pollution, start with cruise ships Greta- not planes.

cjpeck

Reaction score
Planes are nothing compared to cruise ships (from Forbes):

"The data collected reveals that standing on the deck of a cruise ship is similar to being in one of the world’s most polluted cities"

"...in the United Kingdom, local environmental groups have demonstrated that a single cruise ship can emit as much pollution as 700 trucks and as much particulate matter as a million cars."

"It has been estimated that between 40,000 and 100,000 Britons die prematurely every year as a result of emissions from the shipping and cruise industries, with major port-cities such as Southampton, Grimsby and Liverpool particularly affected."

From "Transport & Environment": Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017

If one is seriously looking to combat pollution, start with cruise ships Greta- not planes.

while I'd like to see the numbers on that, the UK can stop importing things any time. So can Sweden. No food, fuel, manufactured goods. The lot. have fun, kids!

But I have to admit I'm pretty biased; modern cruise ships are the ugliest, must appealing form of transportation ever created by man or devil. A chain gang would be more fun. To me they look like prison ships from a bad scifi tv show.
1579019851492.png

it's a giant floating disease ridden roach infested fugly stinking cesspit. Full of the foulest kind of people ever to walk the face of the earth. We play a local pub (when in town) that is within walking distance of a few of the larger hotels close to the cruise ship docks here in Seattle. You can tell when a ship is just in/leaving the next day from the hoards of shitty people all over the place.

yeah, I hate cruise ships and the people that love them.

Last edited:

Olds442

Reaction score
we did one of those harbor boat tours and they were pointing out the newer cruise ship docks being built. looks like Vancouver isn't going to take the big newer ships that can't make it under lion's gate bridge so you'll have a lot more in the future.

cjpeck

Reaction score
we did one of those harbor boat tours and they were pointing out the newer cruise ship docks being built. looks like Vancouver isn't going to take the big newer ships that can't make it under lion's gate bridge so you'll have a lot more in the future.

yousumbitches...

Dolebludger

Reaction score
If you ever go on a cruise, do not book one of those huge ships, main stream lines. Too many crowds, lines, and extra charges! Take a small ship that is all inclusive — but dig deep into your wallet for the fare. A cheap cruise is like anything else cheap. If I were given one of those for free, I’d decline and stay home

wildhawk1

Reaction score
while I'd like to see the numbers on that, the UK can stop importing things any time. So can Sweden. No food, fuel, manufactured goods. The lot. have fun, kids!

But I have to admit I'm pretty biased; modern cruise ships are the ugliest, must appealing form of transportation ever created by man or devil. A chain gang would be more fun. To me they look like prison ships from a bad scifi tv show.
View attachment 432789

it's a giant floating disease ridden roach infested fugly stinking cesspit. Full of the foulest kind of people ever to walk the face of the earth. We play a local pub (when in town) that is within walking distance of a few of the larger hotels close to the cruise ship docks here in Seattle. You can tell when a ship is just in/leaving the next day from the hoards of shitty people all over the place.

Someone hates small boats and the people that fish from them.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
cjpeck,
I’ll bet those cruise ships were Carnival, Norwegian, or Royal Caribbean. Those are cheap cruises, and attract those who want a cheap cruise with 4K to 5K fellow passengers, wait in crowds and lines, and be charged extra for virtually everything worthwhile. I’ll bet that none of those ships were in the Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn lines. Those ships hold from about 250 to 700 passengers, and include everything onboard, including livable sized cabins and all drinks. People who take these “boutique” ships aren’t taking anything close to a cheap cruise. We refuse to take a mainline “mega ship” as there are too many lines and crowds, and ship personnel trying to sell me something at a ridiculously high price. We used to cruise the “boutique“ lines and ships frequently, but they have gotten so costly that we mainly stay home. Maybe, we will go on a Erropean River cruise (on a premium line) once in a few years, but they too have become too expensive, as has decent air to get there.

I too hate those mainline mega ships. It is not pleasant to be in a small port on a 700 passenger ship, and also have a 5K passenger ship in port!

I know nothing about the pollution from any cruise ship. I know they are all diesel electric powered, and know that diesel is not the cleanest power unless it is required to have its emission cleaned. And I know of no vermin infestation on the mega ships. There is certainly none on the smaller boutique ships. But I suspect their diesel power is not the cleanest either.

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score

View attachment 432789

It might be me and some latent agoraphobia (and desire not to get a norovirus), but I'd rather go to work than go on a cruise.