Sweden's air travel declines as 'flight shaming' takes off

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's right.

If not here, then where?

If you want to see how people really feel, and not the colored, filtered "cherry picked" bullshit on the news, just log on to MLP.

Hey, we've got rich folk, poor folk, middlin' folk. All walks. We got 'em old, we've got 'em young.
MLP has folks from all age groups and all walks of life. Old, young, rich, poor, white collar, blue collar, many parties and ideologies. I'd say our "polling samples" are more accurate than any shit that spews out of Hollywood, the Beltway, "pundits", or any other self absorbed pampered overpaid echo chamber type group.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are talks underway now to end tax concessions for European aviation and put a blanket pollution tax on all flights in & out of European airports. Nine EU countries have so far signed the pact.

I don't know how that will affect countries like Spain which rely heavily on tourism via flights.
But but but isn't flying on a major airline MORE efficient and environmental than all those people taking their CARS?????

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
MLP has folks from all age groups and all walks of life. Old, young, rich, poor, white collar, blue collar, many parties and ideologies. I'd say our "polling samples" are more accurate than any shit that spews out of Hollywood, the Beltway, "pundits", or any other self absorbed pampered overpaid echo chamber type group.
I think we are ok in most of the other “genders” but still seem a little low on females amongst our membership...

cheers

cjpeck

Reaction score
Anyone here have experience making dugout canoes?
funny enough I helped make a Salish canoe this summer. It was a lot of fun.

I think we are ok in most of the other “genders” but still seem a little low on females amongst our membership...

cheers
MLP is one of the echoiest echo chambers that ever reverberated an echo.

I take the train for gigs when I can. Portlandia, Victoria, Vancouver and the like. Pretty much anything down the west coast. But stuff in the midwest? Can't be done.
Stuff in the UK/Ireland? Fly in, take the train everywhere. Easy Peasy.

But you want to shame me for flying across the U.S.?
Fuck you.

cjpeck

Reaction score
You know, just to piss off someone somewhere, I'm calling up our fiddle player's husband. He's got half interest in a small plane. We're playing Spokane next weekend, we were going to drive over but now I want to see if he can fly us.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish the fucking SJW's over here could do something about that... I'm sick and fucking tired of getting on packed airplanes full of fat, disgusting tourists, carrying everything they own on board.

Stay home and save the planet, you politically correct cocksuckers. Or, drive your fucking Hybrid whatever.

Get off my fucking plane!!!

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
I wish the fucking SJW's over here could do something about that... I'm sick and fucking tired of getting on packed airplanes full of fat, disgusting tourists, carrying everything they own on board.

Stay home and save the planet, you politically correct cocksuckers. Or, drive your fucking Hybrid whatever.

Get off my fucking plane!!!
Sounds fair to me.

lancpudn

Reaction score
But but but isn't flying on a major airline MORE efficient and environmental than all those people taking their CARS?????

LOL I think they want to banish all forms of travel! It's not just aircraft! Another big city in the UK Birmingham has just unveiled their new planes for curbing emissions & private car use today :eek2:

It looks like they want us to use bicycles & public transport from now on, I'm too long in the tooth to straddle a bicycle so bus & train it is for me then, :thumb: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/01/13/birmingham-reveals-radical-ghent-style-plan-to-cut-car-addiction/?ss=logistics-transport#1b7fa099760f

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL I think they want to banish all forms of travel! It's not just aircraft! Another big city in the UK Birmingham has just unveiled their new planes for curbing emissions & private car use today :eek2:

It looks like they want us to use bicycles & public transport from now on, I'm too long in the tooth to straddle a bicycle so bus & train it is for me then, :thumb: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/01/13/birmingham-reveals-radical-ghent-style-plan-to-cut-car-addiction/?ss=logistics-transport#1b7fa099760f
Hmmmmmm.

That is looking like far more than SJWs and "ecolo-cops".

It looks like a more organized and concerted effort to limit the ability to travel. And if they control the public transport, they can get people dependant on that and then seriously curtail it TOO, later. The only reason for government to do that, is to exert more and tighter control over people - and it's NEVER for a good reason, only bad reasons.

Ecology, planet, emissions are just the excuses they use to sell it.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
In many European countries intra-country travel by train has always been more popular than flying. Flying there (as here) is a hassle. Seating is uncomfortable and cramped (unless you shell out for first or business class). In many countries in Europe trains have more routes and are faster and more comfortable than those in the US, and less expensive to take than intra country air. But it is obviously impossible to take a train from the US to Europe!
I am sure Elon Musk is working on a train to Europe... :naughty:

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
Nothing new, I remember it going down in rate before she was born over same type of debate. All that happened was that the companies lowered their prices and suddenly everyone wanted to travel more because it became cheaper.

This type of stuff goes in cycles

Dolebludger

Reaction score
mgenet,

That would be one wet train ride. Here in the part of the US I live in (SW Colorado) it is a 7 hour drive to Denver, some 280 miles away. It is not a fast drive as too many highways on the way are criminally obsolete. If we had a multi lane 80 mph interstate, I’d drive it, but we don’t. And if we had a 100 mph train, I’d sure take that. So, I have to fly, even though I don’t want to. Not because of environmental concern, but I have to fly because it is the only way to get there in a reasonable time. It only takes about 2 1/2 hours (counting all the time screwing around in airports) whereas I could take a train or drive it in the same time if we had the same good infrastructure they have in a lot of Europe. I don’t know anything about the degree of pollution from airliners, compared to cars or trains on the same route. But I would take an alternative to flying if there were a reasonable one — but there isn’t.

Latest Threads