Swapping tuners from Tribute to Standard?

pondcaster

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before but is it easy to swap the Kluson type tuners that came stock on my '18 Tribute Goldtop with the Grovers that came stock on my 2019 60s Standard?

Is it as easy as unscrew, remove, replace, install, screw in, string up? 100% drop in replacement? Same dimensions? Will I have to put in another screw (and hole?)

As always, I appreciate the help and info. Thanks in advance!

pondcaster

Reaction score
Hmmm... Guessing I'll have to add screws/holes but are the posts interchangable size-wise, so to speak?

Will they drop in without resizing?

Upon closer inspection, this may be more effort than it's worth?

Anyone done this swap before?

jaqueh

Reaction score
You'll have to drill in another hole. Wouldn't recommend it if you aren't comfortable drilling to wood and have a fine bit and only know to drill in like 1/3 of an inch

pondcaster

Reaction score
You'll have to drill in another hole. Wouldn't recommend it if you aren't 1. comfortable drilling to wood and 2. have a fine bit and 3. only know to drill in like 1/3 of an inch
Oh fer three!

Three beers & early 420 and I think I can start modding stuff!

Fenders, yeah but LPs... Best leave well enough alone!

jaqueh

Reaction score
You also might not be able to use the existing screw for the lower depending on if the tuner you're getting is a good match. IMO this is not worth it, just get a 50s standard instead.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I am going to take the differing view here. Yes, the tuners can be changed out as the peg holes and mounting can be used without alteration. You can do the top hole without any drilling; just start the hole with a screwdriver point, then screw in (no different than adding a pickguard screw). I am not sure if the "lower hole" will line up with each tuner type; I would be curious to know that myself -- as I am looking to go the other way on a 2018 LP, removing regular Grovers and replacing with locking Kluson Revolutions with Keystone buttons (adding locking feature and also more vintage vibe).

jaqueh

Reaction score
I am going to take the differing view here. Yes, the tuners can be changed out as the peg holes and mounting can be used without alteration. You can do the top hole without any drilling; just start the hole with a screwdriver point, then screw in (no different than adding a pickguard screw). I am not sure if the "lower hole" will line up with each tuner type; I would be curious to know that myself -- as I am looking to go the other way on a 2018 LP, removing regular Grovers and replacing with locking Kluson Revolutions with Keystone buttons (adding locking feature and also more vintage vibe).
Those screws are so tiny and easy to strip, can you get enough torque that I really don't think you can use them to drill into wood, at least I wouldn't try it

pondcaster

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I was asking. I did it this way a long time ago on an old Telecaster I was swapping tuners on.

Guess I'll just hold off for now.

pondcaster

Reaction score
I chickened out.

Even looked into it again day before last but just afraid I'll mar the standard.

integra evan

Reaction score
@pondcaster what were your intentions for wanting to swap the tuners? Was it just cosmetic? If so, you can buy replacement buttons only - unscrew the kidney beans from the tuners and install the new buttons. Hipshot sells kluson style buttons that will fit on the grovers.

pondcaster

Reaction score
@pondcaster what were your intentions for wanting to swap the tuners? Was it just cosmetic? If so, you can buy replacement buttons only - unscrew the kidney beans from the tuners and install the new buttons. Hipshot sells kluson style buttons that will fit on the grovers.
Yeah, sorta cosmetic and thinking it may shave a few ounces from overall weight? Our maybe I'd been modding a Fender or two recently and got the itch to tweak an LP? Something I very rarely do.

I really like the Grovers so no big deal either way. I may look into those buttons. Thanks for the info. As always you rock, my friend.

pondcaster

Reaction score

Latest Threads