Swapping pickups out on my standard - looking for wiring options

theycallmegio

Reaction score
I'm swapping out some Duncans for DiMarzio, primarily for aesthetic reasons.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for wiring and pots/caps understanding? I understand this is a great opportunity to upgrade pots/caps but I don't know much about this. Treble bleed, 50s wiring, no idea about any of this.

Would love to understand the differences so I can make the best decisions on any changes made.

thanks

sonar1

Reaction score
Dimarzio comes with pretty good diagrams with optional schematics.
I’ve found they’re mini-switch series/parallel scheme for their four-wire pickups (like SuperDistortions) to be much more effective than coil-splitters from most other manufacturers.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you just want to buy a prewired harness, Mojotone has an excellent one. Uses top quality materials and is wired so that you get independent volume while in the middle position.
I know that goes against a lot of people that just buy the parts and do it themselves, but this is easy for someone getting started, but not compromising in quality.
Mojotone Les Paul wiring harness

tjdjr1

Reaction score
Wiring and treble bleeds are a very deep rabbit hole ! I have been there and visit it from time to time still. Presently I have 50's wiring on my neck pup with a audio pot and treble bleed. I use modern wiring on the bridge with a treble bleed and a linear pot. I just like how the bridge pup reacts with linear and the subtle tone changes I can make with the neck pup and 50's wiring.

jvin248

Reaction score

If you use both volume and tone pots (not just leaving one or the other dimed) then you may experience the weird interactions of '50s wiring' where turning the tone knob also changes the volume and turning the volume knob changes the tone (the feature most want). That's why 'modern' wiring schemes were developed.

So many say 'I tried a treble bleed and didn't like it so went back to 50s wiring', but there is not just 'one' treble bleed system, and you can spend time selecting parts (mindful of their tolerance range) to get what you are after.

The path to follow: Adjust pickup heights/tip/screw poles, Measure and swap pots 'n caps (Treble bleeds, different points on the spec max/min as pots have a 20% tolerance range, different nominal marked parts 250k/500k/1Meg), and last swap pickups but go back to the beginning. All the parts from pickups to pots 'n caps are part of a tone system.

Latest Threads