Swapping Pickups on a Collector's Choice: OK or a no-no?

PauloQS

Reaction score
I saw a guy online that didn’t even want to open the control cavity on his 2013 transition R9 he was selling. The dude also said a bunch of things that was straight out wrong. I personally don’t think too much of resale value. I want to make the guitar work for me. Besides a pickup swap is a reversible mod. I agree @Pageburst. It’s not worth trying to sell to a clown who is so picky he or she cares about whether the solder joints are original. Conversely, the person who cares about how much I liked the guitar, how well it plays, the things a person would care if he or she intended to actually play guitar with it is the best I could hope for in a resale. I’d know the guitar would be played and fulfill its purpose.
When Jimmy Page was asked about why he shaved the neck on his #1 and #2 he said he was doing it for himself, for the guitar to be more comfortable for him and not about resale.

modavis99

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Are you a player or collector? If you’re a player, swap the pickups and make the guitar work for you. If you’re a collector then don’t touch it.

As an aside, I don’t know anyone that would care about original solder joints in a CC but I’m not a collector.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
You will lose that percentage of rich buyers who want everything original including solder joints. I think it's dumb people see guitars this way but it is what it is.
Yeah the rich buyers who dont play the things just stare at em they probably want the rusty stinky strings from 1958 when it rolled out of the factory I SAY SIR THOOSE ARENT THE ORRIGINAL STTRINGS OHH I SAYY. :cheers: I do have respect for collectors that let people play and even let there treasures go on tour NOW THATS COOL.:thumb:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
I collect as a side hobby to playing

I’d not care 1 bit if any parts were reversably swapped out as long as they remain with the guitar

youdevil

Reaction score
Thanks for this wisdom! I find much to agree with here. I'm thinking that the looks of the CC is what drives buyer interest, since these are basically a curated gallery/index-of-the-possible when it comes to bursts. We like window shopping for bursty examples anyway, and the CC series is a chance to put some fences around that process: whatever you like is probably represented in that group of instruments, so when the time comes to actually get one you may well simply start there to scratch the itch. So in that respect, the 'limited run' quality helps support value. More broadly, I think the 'collector' in 'collector's choice' more appropriately refers to the collector in our imagination -- our self who in another life had the $$$ to buy the actual thing -- and this series is like an attainable experience, a substitute for the unattainable one we have when we browse something like Beauty of the Burst etc. So i'm inclined to make a reversible change like swap the pickups simply because a future buyer is going to want it due to its appearance/gut reaction to a certain set of styling cues that any given guitar is endowed with. And the Monty's may actually be a plus: not only might someone appreciate their sound, but they'd bring a resale value of their own should the buyer want to revert it to stock. Thanks again folks, much appreciated.
Chris

Steam

Reaction score
Will changing of PU's make your music any better?

toymaker

Reaction score
It’s only a “ collectors item” because someone in the G marketing department said it is.

You don’t need to be a “collector” to own one, anyone with the $$ and the willingness to pay up can buy...hell, I’ve heard one or two even got sold as wall hangers to dentist who don’t play.

So no...your not hurting “collectibility” swapping pickups...can’t kill what you never had. The moment the market starts paying more for these - G will make more to satisfy the demand. You’ll never beat G marketing buying and holding looking for price appreciation...they will find a way to make theirs “better and more original” and you’ll always have the “old model”.

Swap them, enjoy it and if price and loss of resale concerns you...buy a nice R8 and enjoy that . I did and have no regrets.