Swapping Gibson P90’s for...? NEED SUGGESTIONS!

Reviresco

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I have a new 2019 Les Paul Standard 50’s with the Gibson P90’s. I like the sound, but dislike the hum.

I play all types of music from pop-punk to alternative to classic rock to pop. I do love the sound of a nice high gain solo though!

Most importantly, I’m looking for something that is hum canceling.

I have looked at the following so far:

Lindy Fralin Hum Canceling P90
DiMarzio DLX Plus
DiMarzio Virtual P90
Duncan P90 Stack

Looking to see if anyone on here has any experience with any of these or has any other recommendations for me.

Also, has anyone put the Duncan P90 Stack in a Les Paul Standard? It says that the pups are taller than a normal P90.

Thanks!

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pictured Top to Bottom:

2004 SG Classic
Bridge: Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy (Zero-Hum P-90)
Neck: Stock Gibson P-90

2006 SG Classic

2017 '58 Reissue LP Junior DC
Bridge: Lindy Fralin Hum Canceling P-90

full

Pictured Below
Left: Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy (Zero-Hum P-90)
Right: Stock Gibson P-90

full

This pickup combination is my favorite because I use the bridge for hi gain and the neck for cleans.

Reviresco

Reaction score
Pictured Top to Bottom:

2004 SG Classic

2006 SG Classic

2017 '58 Reissue LP Junior DC
Bridge: Lindy Fralin Hum Canceling P-90

full

Pictured Below
Left: Kinman Nasty 90 Heavy (Zero-Hum P-90)
Right: Stock Gibson P-90

full

These pickup combinations are my favorite because I use the bridge for hi gain and the neck for cleans.
The Kinman’s fit with no issues even though they are taller?

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kinman’s fit with no issues even though they are taller?

Only in the bridge position on the SG because it has a thinner body compared to an LP. I was going to replace both pickups, but when I discovered the neck cavity was too shallow compared to the bridge cavity, I decided to leave the stock P-90 at the neck. Everything worked out since I use the neck position for cleans only where 60 cycle hum is not an issue.

Caretaker

Reaction score
You can always put Mini Humbuckers in.
If you want to hear what they sound like in a Les Paul, listen to Iron Maiden Killers cd. Everything that is not a strat is a Deluxe with mini hums.<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had SG in the past with Mini Humbuckers and experimented with a P-90 at the neck and a Mini Humbucker at the bridge before I discovered the Kinmans and Fralins.

There's so many options available today with hum-cancelling P-90's, whether the coils are stacked or side by side. I prefer vintage style guitars with a modern sound.

full

Last edited:

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I had a Fralin Noiseless in my Tokai DC Junior. Good pickup, but I ended up with an early 2000s stock Gibson P90. I learned to tolerate the hum because Gibson makes (made?) one of the best sounding P90 pickups ever... IMHO.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I actually placed an order for the Fralin pups this morning. Should have them tomorrow and I’ll have them installed this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how they sound in my LP!
Did you go with the standard wind? My bridge is standard and the neck is +5% overwound.

dcurran87

Reaction score
I got a Donner Noise Killer pedal (cheap and effective) as the Gibson P90's just sound so...damn...good

dspelman

Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I have a new 2019 Les Paul Standard 50’s with the Gibson P90’s. I like the sound, but dislike the hum.

Best noiseless P90's on the market are made by Kinman. You can get the classic Gibson P90 sound and lose the noise. I do NOT recommend the Fralins.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I like the Gibson P90 myself. I have a Jr with a Lollar classic that is very good as well.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I had a Fralin Noiseless in my Tokai DC Junior. Good pickup, but I ended up with an early 2000s stock Gibson P90. I learned to tolerate the hum because Gibson makes (made?) one of the best sounding P90 pickups ever... IMHO.
Noiseless is NOT the same as a real P90.

Latest Threads