Swapped an Ibanez bass for a 93 LP Studio

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
I went ahead and swapped an Ibanez SR1600B bass guitar (2018-19 model) for a clean 1993 LP Studio.
Im very happy with the swap as the guitar is beautiful to play and it sounds awesome...I love an overdriven tone and this baby kicks absolute arse in that department.
Overall, its in very good nick with the only signs of wear on the usual items...bridge,stop bar - Let's call it patina LOL.
Frets are in great condition (not played a lot-came from a "Strat" man) and that ebony fret board is just so nice to play...its gorgeous, its almost black!
The neck is super fast (thinner profile) ,just perfect for my smaller hands.
I'll have to admit, the cherry burst isnt really my thing but its quickly growing on me...how can it not, this thing is a beast : )
These Studio models are vastly underrated...who cares if there's no binding etc,this guitar kicks absolute arse!
93 was a very good year.
I love this thing!

Attachments

• IMG_5683.JPG
    IMG_5683.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5685.JPG
    IMG_5685.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5688.JPG
    IMG_5688.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 40

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
That is a fantastic top for a Studio! Good swap IMO.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! :)

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
Hey Sp8ctre,
thank you for your kind words.
When i went to check the guitar out, the top grabbed me right away.
There's some beautiful grain patterns going on there...and, depending on which way the light hits the body, the grain literally "lights up".
Iovely maple back in '93.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Congratulations. Yes, it's a good year, and the guitar should play and sound fantastic. Also, does this one have a maple neck? Most, if not all, 1993 Studios had maple necks.

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
Congratulations. Yes, it's a good year, and the guitar should play and sound fantastic. Also, does this one have a maple neck? Most, if not all, 1993 Studios had maple necks.
Hi vivanchenko,
yeah, she sounds and plays so sweet...its definately one of the "better" ones.
The guy who swapped it knew exactally what he had and almost pulled out of the deal. Fotunately, my Ibanez SR1600B pulled him back over the line : )
I believe the neck is mahogany although im not 100% certain about that. You've got me wondering now...i'll have to take another look to make sure.
All in all, she's a killer LP and she wont be going anywhere...EVER!

Damn that's beautiful!
Thank you very much whatshisname.
It's a dream to play and it has a gorgeous tone.
I honestly think id be hard pressed to find another LP that sings like this bird...I consider myself very lucky,i scored big time with this one.

sparky2

Reaction score
I owned a 1996 Studio, and it was a fabulous guitar.

The overdriven tones were pure Bad Company and Foghat.
Loved it.

Ultimately sold it because of the weight.
My back just didn't enjoy strapping on a nearly ten pound guitar.

All my current guitars are a lot lighter.

:)

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
I disagree. The early 90s Studios with ebony fretboards are highly regarded.

Welcome to the forum. That’s a great guitar!
Thank you for the welcome and compliment Who...seems like a great forum here.
Looks like im wrong in assuming these early 90's studios are underrated, which im glad to hear.
I havnt played a guitar that's truly blown me away for quite some time...this one has definately done that.
The ebony fretboard is so dark on this guitar, its gorgeous.
And talk about sustain...I cant believe how long a note hangs on this guitar, whether you're bending the note or not (it certainly puts a grin on your face).

• Love
Reactions: Who

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
The guitar originally came in the brown case with the pink lining but the guy i got it off couldnt stand it and so he sold it and got the black one LOL.
He showed me a few photos of the guitar sitting in the brown case, so he wasnt speaking crap.
To quote him directly..."That case was the ugliest piece of shit ive ever seen, every time i opened it, it pissed me off"
LOL.

• Haha

batdog

Reaction score
I went ahead and swapped an Ibanez SR1600B bass guitar (2018-19 model) for a clean 1993 LP Studio.
Im very happy with the swap as the guitar is beautiful to play and it sounds awesome...I love an overdriven tone and this baby kicks absolute arse in that department.
Overall, its in very good nick with the only signs of wear on the usual items...bridge,stop bar - Let's call it patina LOL.
Frets are in great condition (not played a lot-came from a "Strat" man) and that ebony fret board is just so nice to play...its gorgeous, its almost black!
The neck is super fast (thinner profile) ,just perfect for my smaller hands.
I'll have to admit, the cherry burst isnt really my thing but its quickly growing on me...how can it not, this thing is a beast : )
These Studio models are vastly underrated...who cares if there's no binding etc,this guitar kicks absolute arse!
93 was a very good year.
I love this thing!
she is beautiful from the good wood era of the 90s nice color congrats!!!

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your positive comments.
Its great to find an LP forum that's active...I'm looking forward to hanging out here.

• Love

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a fan of the '93 Studio myself.

I bought mine 10 years ago based partly on their high reputation here.

I'm know to mod mine a tad. ;)

Who, you're very good with your hands, I love how your 93 turned out...its stunning.

I had a fleeting thought of putting a middle pick-up in mine.

I just think a 3 p/u LP looks totally kick arse.

• Love

RoonyMcNish

Reaction score
If only i had the dollars (i could always sell my motorcycle LOL).
My dream guitar.
LP Black Beauty.jpg

• Love

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Hi vivanchenko,
yeah, she sounds and plays so sweet...its definately one of the "better" ones.
The guy who swapped it knew exactally what he had and almost pulled out of the deal. Fotunately, my Ibanez SR1600B pulled him back over the line : )
I believe the neck is mahogany although im not 100% certain about that. You've got me wondering now...i'll have to take another look to make sure.
All in all, she's a killer LP and she wont be going anywhere...EVER!

I wouldn't be disappointed either way. According to former Gibson employees they used the same necks for Customs and Studios back then. They selected the best ones for Customs, but basically they were the same necks made of the same wood, so your Studio should be very similar to Customs in terms of tone because it's made of the same materials and it's very close in terms of construction. Enjoy you beautiful guitar!.

• Love

Latest Threads