Surface Mount Parts/Kits?

modernrelic

Reaction score
Hey all. First-time poster here.

I'm about to start a guitar build and I'd like to make the pickups as well. Since the guitar is a Ric-inspired build, I'd like to make surface mounted pickups, ala Ric toasters or maybe DeArmond style. Could anyone recommend a source for parts for that style of pickup? I'm not trying to copy the Ric toasters look, I just want something that looks like it belongs there and has some jangle.

Any thoughts? My Google-Fu has failed me. I'm open to alternative options as well. I just didn't want to slap a strat pickup or a humbucker on it. Lipstick pickups might work, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Thanks for any and all input!

ARandall

Reaction score
Making your own pickups is not an easy venture.....nor a simple once-off effort. You will probably spend the same amount of money simply to buy the necessaries as to buy the right pickups themselves from a boutique winder......and it might take you much more than just one spool of wire to get to the point where you have even something usable. And much more to get to something where you are happy with the tone.

Antigua

Reaction score
Hey all. First-time poster here.

I'm about to start a guitar build and I'd like to make the pickups as well. Since the guitar is a Ric-inspired build, I'd like to make surface mounted pickups, ala Ric toasters or maybe DeArmond style. Could anyone recommend a source for parts for that style of pickup? I'm not trying to copy the Ric toasters look, I just want something that looks like it belongs there and has some jangle.

Any thoughts? My Google-Fu has failed me. I'm open to alternative options as well. I just didn't want to slap a strat pickup or a humbucker on it. Lipstick pickups might work, but that wouldn't be my first choice.

Thanks for any and all input!
You could buy Chinese Ric. Toaster knockoffs for very cheap, and then either use them as-is, or take the things apart and make your own pickup from the parts. If you're interested in trying that out, I can point you to some Chinese vendors.

I've seen a hadnful of success stories on the 'net of guys winding one off pickups by just using their drill as a winder. It's worth a shot if you're not looking to commit to a more expensive pickup making rig.

modernrelic

Reaction score
Making your own pickups is not an easy venture.....nor a simple once-off effort. You will probably spend the same amount of money simply to buy the necessaries as to buy the right pickups themselves from a boutique winder......and it might take you much more than just one spool of wire to get to the point where you have even something usable. And much more to get to something where you are happy with the tone.
I don't mind the time or effort. I'm retired and I need a project. :)

ARandall

Reaction score
Thats good then.

You can get started with even very basic tools. I've not wound myself, but having read a lot of threads from those who have just commenced the process they continually speak of breaking wire due to excess tension. As you will be the controller of that you will need some form of winder that is very even in its pull as if the wire gets stuck on your finger (the guide) then you can easily have snappage.

I would look to hitting up a winder here - maybe calling out to James from ReWind - and see what tips they have for a beginner. James in particular is very generous with his time, and may even be able to point you toward materials suppliers for unusual parts - the pickups you want to do will have some odd bits to source.

modernrelic

Reaction score
You could buy Chinese Ric. Toaster knockoffs for very cheap, and then either use them as-is, or take the things apart and make your own pickup from the parts. If you're interested in trying that out, I can point you to some Chinese vendors.
Thanks! I'm getting some parts from aliexpress already and saw those toasters. I was actually going to order a pair just for the covers, since the guts are different. But I ended up finding some DeArmond style covers that will do the trick, for half the cost. I've found the magnets and the wire too. And I would definitely like to hear which vendors you use. I know they're hit or miss.

A bobbin is the last piece I need now. I'm obviously not going to find a Ric bobbin. I've read that they're somewhat short and wide. Maybe I could use a P90 style bobbin? Apply some sandpaper and a drill? I'll have to find those dimensions and compare them to the covers I've got. If it's too big, I could sand it down to fit inside the DeArmond covers. I'll figure something out. :)

I've seen a hadnful of success stories on the 'net of guys winding one off pickups by just using their drill as a winder. It's worth a shot if you're not looking to commit to a more expensive pickup making rig.
I have my wife looking for a used sewing machine for me. :D

modernrelic

Reaction score
Thats good then.

You can get started with even very basic tools. I've not wound myself, but having read a lot of threads from those who have just commenced the process they continually speak of breaking wire due to excess tension. As you will be the controller of that you will need some form of winder that is very even in its pull as if the wire gets stuck on your finger (the guide) then you can easily have snappage.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely expecting to fail at first. Wouldn't be the first time. :D But I'm stubborn.

I'm looking to fashion a basic winder out of a sewing machine. Hopefully that will help. I saw a build on YouTube that looked fairly straightforward.

I would look to hitting up a winder here - maybe calling out to James from ReWind - and see what tips they have for a beginner. James in particular is very generous with his time, and may even be able to point you toward materials suppliers for unusual parts - the pickups you want to do will have some odd bits to source.
Thanks, I will look for him. I'm not familiar with ReWind. Is that a winders resource site?

Latest Threads