Super Strat -> LaBaye

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
Good evening all, I have a great sounding, single pickup 80s Ovation GS Utra with a black finish - It looks like an escapee from a heavy metal summer camp. I am thinking of putting it on a saw to lose both of the horns and end up with something like a Steinberger/LaBaye 2x4 body. i’ve been told the wood on these isn’t great, but I am wondering if removing that much of the body mass will affect the sound. Any pro tips for a wannabe axe hacker?

strömsborg

Reaction score
Certainly if it’s great sounding.

But the world is awash in black super strats that can be had for next to nothing. Get one that you have no feelings for and have at it.

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
OK, I get the point (ha). I can put up with the weight and the jumbo frets because it serves up so many varied tones from a single DiMarzio humbucker and volume knob. Thanks!

Deftone

Reaction score
OK, I get the point (ha). I can put up with the weight and the jumbo frets because it serves up so many varied tones from a single DiMarzio humbucker and volume knob. Thanks!
You don't like Jumbo frets?!

I.M.Noone

Reaction score
They may only be medium jumbos. They're OK, but I'll always prefer smaller frets. Some day I'll build my own 2x4 guitar because I'm through being cool.

Deftone

Reaction score
They may only be medium jumbos. They're OK, but I'll always prefer smaller frets. Some day I'll build my own 2x4 guitar because I'm through being cool.
yea, build your own 2x4....sounds cool.

Latest Threads