Super Distortion Vs Gibson Dirty Fingers

rich85

Reaction score
How do new Gibson Dirty Fingers compare to Dimarzio Super Distortion? Or what pickup would it compare to? I just read 70’s pickups and get interested.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I don't know that the 'recipe' for a GDF has changed at all. I had one and found it only suitable for high-gain applications, especially slamming the preamp.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the Dirty Fingers but have an Super Distortion in a Jackson JS11 and like it there. It can do a nice late 70s rock tone with a TS clone through a an Origin20H. It seems to clean up better than I would have expected with the guitar’s volume rolled back some. Pickup and guitar combinations seem to be unique. I’ve had an SD Distortion in 3 different guitars and it’s sounded a bit different in each.

jbash

Reaction score
Very different-

SuperD has lots of lows and thick midrange- especially low mids. It has a clear but not trebly top end. Almost an acoustic type quality when played clean (and it does cleans better than you would think) It has a fair amount of compression and gets "juicy" sounding when you wind the gain/amp up. It's a very big sounding pickup. It is a very easy to play pickup- it just seems to work with your fingers. Super D is a classic for good reason.

The DF is kind of the opposite. It does not have the lows or similar compression- it is all midrange and a slicing treble frequency. It has a fizzy top end. It is a very sterile/clinical sound. It is an unforgiving pickup to play leads with- it picks up (npi) everything audibly and throws it out there. It's like playing an old NMV Marshall- if your technique is not up to snuff, this will make sure everyone hears how bad you are. I'm not a fan of the originals or the newer versions. I need all the help I can get, and I hate the EQ curve/clinical tonality.

If you want more treble frequencies and bite, good lows/low mids, but want a "nice playing" pickup like the SuperD, the Duncan Custom SH5 is a really good choice.

brianbzed

Reaction score
^^ +1...what he said...perfect description. Had Dirty Fingers in a 80's Flying V...threw them in the trash..replaced with a set of Pearly Gates. Made a world of difference tone-wise..FWIW

rich85

Reaction score
Thanks guy! I have a Super Distortion and love it so was wondering if the DF was a slightly different flavour. I will just look for an unpotted old Super Distortion instead :)

jbash

Reaction score
Thanks guy! I have a Super Distortion and love it so was wondering if the DF was a slightly different flavour. I will just look for an unpotted old Super Distortion instead :)
It is a very different flavor compared to the SuperD. Whether you will like or not , is the kicker.

rich85

Reaction score
It is a very different flavor compared to the SuperD. Whether you will like or not , is the kicker.

Nope. It sounds like a pickup I would absolutely hate. I love the Super Distortion as it’s this weird blend of PAF and ceramic that’s just amazing. I thought it might be Gibsons take on that.

jbash

Reaction score
Nope. It sounds like a pickup I would absolutely hate. I love the Super Distortion as it’s this weird blend of PAF and ceramic that’s just amazing. I thought it might be Gibsons take on that.
498T although Alnico V, would be closer in overall tone to the SuperD. (though still very different) 500T is ceramic, but is shy on the beef.

rich85

Reaction score
498T although Alnico V, would be closer in overall tone to the SuperD. (though still very different) 500T is ceramic, but is shy on the beef.

Funnily enough I was just organising some original Studio pickups as mine got rained on after a tornado tore my roof off. The original pickups rusted out. I now have 500k volume pots not the stupid 300k in the guitar too. But never got to try the 498/490 with the 500k pots.

Latest Threads