Sunday Roast

Gar

Reaction score
Love a good Sunday dinner. My Mam cooked one every Sunday without fail. Everyone's Sunday dinner tastes different even using the same ingredients. My Granny used to use Yorkshire pudding mix to thicken the gravy, my mates Mum did bread sauce. My mother in law blended the veg and my Gramps used to mash his entire dinner into one big pile of brown, tasty mess. This is what my wife cooked today. The picture was a rush as we wanted to eat. Excuse the gravy on the coaster and lack of a table cloth but we're scruffy nothern folk.

Share your Sunday lunch or family cooking traditions regardless of day of the week or content.
15370177_10154683134000420_1667343375783809174_o.jpg

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shock: Yorkshire pudding!! I need 12 of those with my roast beast. That looks about as good as it gets right there :)

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had that but I sure would try it.
I never been able to duplicate my grandmothers cooking or my moms.

They mostly cooked from scratch,which I am sure makes a difference but still I sure do miss it.
My wife comes close but no matter what she does it will never equal it...

Not that I would ever tell her that..:hmm:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I like to sear all sides of the roast on a hot, cast iron pan. It helps to get a nice crust on the outside of the roast and trap the juices inside. I transfer the roast to a baking pan and make the yorkshire pudding in the cast iron. I make a couple extra pans of yorkshire pudding because it is always a hit.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Roast Beast.

Sunday Dinner.

Yeah, that works. Yum.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Havent had Yorkshire pud for years...looks yum!

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is so easy to make, you'd be surprised.

I've made it back in the recesses of time when I was assistant pasty cook in a holiday camp in England, but that was a long time ago.

Actually I was more interested in the cooking sherry for the wine trifle~

I do fancy having a go at it again.

dennis g

Reaction score
Ironically, I have a roast beef in the oven right now, along with yukon potatos and carrots. Dinner in about 45 minutes.

danohat

Reaction score
I had a fat pork roast last night. Tonight- a 14 oz steak cooked on a hot stone. Forget it.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I had taco bell on the way back from the big ten championship.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
How could you possibly enjoy that when there's no table cloth on the table???

Seriously...!

Cheers

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Love a good Sunday dinner. My Mam cooked one every Sunday without fail. Everyone's Sunday dinner tastes different even using the same ingredients. My Granny used to use Yorkshire pudding mix to thicken the gravy, my mates Mum did bread sauce. My mother in law blended the veg and my Gramps used to mash his entire dinner into one big pile of brown, tasty mess. This is what my wife cooked today. The picture was a rush as we wanted to eat. Excuse the gravy on the coaster and lack of a table cloth but we're scruffy nothern folk.

Share your Sunday lunch or family cooking traditions regardless of day of the week or content.
15370177_10154683134000420_1667343375783809174_o.jpg

A very traditional English Sunday meal that most of my family would enjoy.
I'm the odd ball out though and whenever we do have something like that I tend to just eat the cauliflower cheese, carrots, broccoli and a couple of potatoes. I'm not a vegetarian but I'd give the beef, Yorkshire puddings and gravy a miss because I'm not overly keen on the taste of them...
Just had two of my kids over the other day and they had some bacon and sausages for a snack. My daughter and both daughter in laws are all vegetarians so we have to come up with an alternative and I was quite happy eating cottage cheese with pineapple out of the tub with a spoon..:laugh2:

JCarno

Reaction score
We had pasta every Sunday. So did everyone else in our neighborhood.
Everyones last name ended in a vowel. Maybe that had something to do with it.:)

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I enjoy a traditional english roast. They make a grewt roast beef. Almost as good as their boiled beef :fingersx:

Seriously though, always up for a good roast, my gran made roasts portuguese sstyle when i was growing up, great.

I enjky the german roasts too with dumplings.. bloody marvelous,

Roasts with a porty red wine and we are all set :slash:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
A world where families get together for Sunday dinner just isn't the world I was raised in.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
This thread pisses me off. I love pot roast, and last Super Bowl Sunday, I told my girlfriend I would make the roast. I NEVER do that. Like a lot of guys, I'm a mean griller, but can't cook for ****e.

Anyway, made it. It was AWESOME. Everyone really liked it at the SB party.

We had to leave at half time to get her daughter to bed. I was feeling a little blah when we left. By the end of the game, I had the shakes, and was puking like crazy. :laugh2:

Since that's the last thing I ate, I can't even look at it now. Everyone else was fine, so, must have been a bug, but [email protected]#N it!!! :laugh2:

Latest Threads