Sunburst Les Paul Standard Under a Thousand Dollars?

Liter O'Cola

Reaction score
i just dont get why they dont make Red Wine Standards anymore. these things are killer....

Agreed...I love wine red. But gibson kinda did recently with the Traditional Pro (GC exclusive). I think there were only a few hundred or so in wine red that were made. Looked great with the coil splitting zebras.

slapshot

Reaction score
get a used les paul from before they were chambered :)
if you can get one from before they had holes in them :) :)

michael2003x

Reaction score
Yeah get an LP with no chambering or holes and break your back for no noticable gain whatsoever. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gibson has Epiphone as the less expensive brand to fill the demand for less expensive guitars, they will not build them as well as the Gibson USA models, the same way they won't build Gibson USA models as good as Gibson Custom shop guitars, each brand is built, designed and priced to fill a specific demand and place in the market, just like Ralph Lauren with the Polo brand and the Ralph Lauren Chaps brand, Polo is more expensive than Chaps but both sell and they are aimed to fill a demand in different sections of the market.

JPaul

Reaction score
True! Of course they're not as good (stock). It's inferior electronics, craftsmanship, quality control, wood etc....Like almost everything else in this world, you get what you pay for. You cannot possibly compare a $500 guitar to a $2500 guitar.

+1 for shopping for a nice used guitar.

I got a 2003 standard, a honeyburst. Whether it was new or not was an irrelevance.

I've also got a USA Strat Deluxe and a Gibson acoustic. Those were both bought new.

Point is you go for the guitar you want, whether it's new or not isn't the point, it's the guitar which is the important thing.

dodger916

Reaction score
I got a 2003 standard, a honeyburst. Whether it was new or not was an irrelevance.

I've also got a USA Strat Deluxe and a Gibson acoustic. Those were both bought new.

Point is you go for the guitar you want, whether it's new or not isn't the point, it's the guitar which is the important thing.
I agree, but some can't afford the new pricetag or the loss incurred when they find something better and need to liquidate "inventory". I bought one new guitar (Strat) and will probably never buy new again. With some patience you can find a great axe and save hundreds of dollars.

lewddude

Reaction score
Too bad people are scared of the word Epiphone,

Epiphone Elitist

Hey I really like the masterbilt acoustic series! and the semi hollow electrics are pretty cool too. Just not the lester though! My brother wants the Goth Epi LP and there is nothing I can do to talk him out of it... :rolleyes:

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
IMO the only mistake Gibson ever made with Epiphone was in not giving them the same open book headstock. That's one marketing trick I have to give to all the JP copy companies. In all their lines, from the crappiest to the best , they all look very similar. And thats what people buying inexpensive guitars want.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
IMO the only mistake Gibson ever made with Epiphone was in not giving them the same open book headstock.

3162304052.jpg

3163833052.jpg

3158283052.jpg

:thumb:

Cpt_Gonzo

Reaction score
The biggest Gibson mistake ever was the discontinuation of the Epiphone Elitist series. I mean, that was really the best way to get a decent, not "special", LP and SG for under/a bit over 1000$.

Then they'd officially be able to compete with Tokai/Fgn.

JPaul

Reaction score
I agree, but some can't afford the new pricetag or the loss incurred when they find something better and need to liquidate "inventory". I bought one new guitar (Strat) and will probably never buy new again. With some patience you can find a great axe and save hundreds of dollars.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. The Les Paul was bought "pre-owned" as second hand has come to be known. It's just a fantastic guitar and was substantially cheaper than a new one would be.

If it were me buying a Les Paul, on a limited budget, I would look at buying a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Where I shop you can get a new one for £669 (that's about $1,127, with all the tax paid and everything). I think that's excellent value for money, for a new Gibson Les Paul. I'm sure there are deals to be had on pre-owned ones.

Latest Threads