Sunburst Les Paul Standard Under a Thousand Dollars?

woodyee

Reaction score
Will Gibson EVER release a sunburst Les Paul (Standard) for under a thousand? Seems like they're really losing out by not doing this. I recently played the Epiphone 1959 copy and it was a really good guitar. My question while I played it was "why couldn't Gibson had released this? Give it a name like 50's Classic Les Paul Standard or something". I'm willing to bet that the '60 Epiphone will be great but why couldn't Gibson had released this???

truetone6

Reaction score
Will Gibson EVER release a sunburst Les Paul (Standard) for under a thousand? Seems like they're really losing out by not doing this. I recently played the Epiphone 1959 copy and it was a really good guitar. My question while I played it was "why couldn't Gibson had released this? Give it a name like 50's Classic Les Paul Standard or something". I'm willing to bet that the '60 Epiphone will be great but why couldn't Gibson had released this???

They did.Gibson owns Epiphone.

atheos

Reaction score
no reason for Gibson to dilute their own products. There are plenty of decent guitars available for under a grand, if that's what you're looking for.
Otherwise, I'd be wondering why I can't get an acura for the price of honda.

UmpaHimself

Reaction score
no reason for Gibson to dilute their own products. There are plenty of decent guitars available for under a grand, if that's what you're looking for.

Yea. If you must have "Gibson" on your gee but dont want to shell out the big bucks then go used or get a studio.
:cool2:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Woodyee, do you have any idea how labor rates differ from China and the US?

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Because you're in the US of A.
Here in Germany you can, because they're all sold under the Honda name. :thumb:

Bubbletonic

Reaction score
Because if Gibson released it they would charge twice as much, why? because they could, and people would pay it, they're not going to throw away money like that. Not to mention it would cost more to make the same guitar in America anyway.

atheos

Reaction score
Yea. If you must have "Gibson" on your gee but dont want to shell out the big bucks then go used or get a studio.
:cool2:

agreed. I bought all 7 of my LP's used. Add to that, I'm not super impressed with any of the new ones I've seen. Add even more to that, the new lefties just aren't out there unless I order one.
If you've got a grand for a guitar, save up until you have two grand and get a mid 90's standard.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
After seeing what they go for used, I just can't imagine ever buying a les paul new, it just makes no sense. You can get 2 used ones that are as good as new for same price as 1 new one.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
After seeing what they go for used, I just can't imagine ever buying a les paul new, it just makes no sense. You can get 2 used ones that are as good as new for same price as 1 new one.

+1 for used. Check your local Craigslist listings so you can try before you buy.

JPaul

Reaction score
With apologies to people who own and love Epiphone Les Pauls. I have played a couple and they aren't even in the same league as a Gibson Les Paul. There's a reason they are so much more expensive, they are that much better.

nauc

Reaction score
i just dont get why they dont make Red Wine Standards anymore. these things are killer....

guitarvi.jpg

mpyne

Reaction score

Too bad people are scared of the word Epiphone,

Epiphone Elitist

UmpaHimself

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;2212116 said:
Because you're in the US of A.
Here in Germany you can, because they're all sold under the Honda name. :thumb:

Hahaha, tru that. I remember when I found that out. I hate that there always has to be a gimmick for americans to buy stuff, not just quality. :/

Yea I realized that after only buying one USA guitar new. I got my LP Classic on CL for 1280. Idk what it sold for new but probably around 1k more.

With apologies to people who own and love Epiphone Les Pauls. I have played a couple and they aren't even in the same league as a Gibson Les Paul. There's a reason they are so much more expensive, they are that much better.

I've played one Epi 335 dot that plays nice but the craftsmanship, pickups, hardware and electronics were still crap. All other Epis I have played (although never elitist models) have been second rate. Along with MIM fenders. But everything I've played from japan has been amazing!:thumb:

92Standard

Reaction score

True! Of course they're not as good (stock). It's inferior electronics, craftsmanship, quality control, wood etc....Like almost everything else in this world, you get what you pay for. You cannot possibly compare a $500 guitar to a $2500 guitar.

+1 for shopping for a nice used guitar.

Latest Threads