Sun bleaching a faded LP

Diocletian

Reaction score
I have a nice cherry Faded Studio LP. I really like the guitar, and under lights it looks really nice - but most of the time, it looks too dark, so you cant see how nice the top on it is. It almost looks black its so dark unless theres light shining on it.

I just wondered, I keep some of my guitars on stands in the house, would the sun lighten the colour of the top if I left it in a place where the sun shines in the window for a few hours each day? Over a period of time, would it make much difference?

in2madness

Reaction score
In Scotland? Really. The only Scotsman I have seen with a tan has been a long way from home:)

Diocletian

Reaction score
I've posted photos of it before. I'll see if I can find them. On the tan thing - well, you know, the sun isnt hot enough to get a tan but if it is bright enough to bleach things after a few months hahaha!

Okay, here's how it looks under light (for example, the camera flash, or sunlight):

P1010005 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

Here's how it looks normally, without light directly on it:

P1010002 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

Bountyhunter

Reaction score
I don't think it will bleach it. If it did, it would take a very long time.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I don't think it will bleach it. If it did, it would take a very long time.
Gah, I suppose so. Years probably. I need to get the frets crowned, then I'll use it live and see how it looks in photos onstage. Maybe it will look cool under stage lighting.

MeKevin

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, that's one HECK of a nice looking Les Paul, at least in the pictures. I too think that it would take awhile to fade, but it would look super nice. BTW, I like the white plastics and copper knobs!

Diocletian

Reaction score
Yeah it is a cool looking guitar Kevin, thats why I was attracted to it. I had the money all ready for a Standard then I found this and decided just to get it and use the extra money on our holiday last year. I just wish it was a little bit lighter.

MeKevin

Reaction score
What year is it? I think I got the Studio in my profile picture in 2005, and it was chambered, I think. I sold it during one of those stupid moments. I never thought to put creme plastics on it. If I see another one that looks like yours, I'm gonna snatch it up. The wood grain is hypnotizing on yours, especially the seam.

Diocletian

Reaction score
What year is it? I think I got the Studio in my profile picture in 2005, and it was chambered, I think. I sold it during one of those stupid moments. I never thought to put creme plastics on it. If I see another one that looks like yours, I'm gonna snatch it up. The wood grain is hypnotizing on yours, especially the seam.
Thanks man, its from 2006. The frets are really sharp on it I really need to get it sorted. Other than that I really love it (the Epiphone in my avatar is still the nicest Les Paul I've ever played though!)

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
UV rays will weaken everything though so you'd want to mask all of your plastic for sure, and your fingerboard too.

That's the least that I would do...I'd likely do the headstock as well.

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
UV rays will weaken everything though so you'd want to mask all of your plastic for sure, and your fingerboard too.

That's the least that I would do...I'd likely do the headstock as well.

drew365

Reaction score
I've owned my '07 Standard Faded for about three months. It sits out on a stand full time in a bright room but not in direct sunlight. I just took off the selector ring to check and there's no change that I can see. I live in Southern California, so there's no lack of sunshine here. I'd like to see mine lighten also, but I think it's going to be a while.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I've owned my '07 Standard Faded for about three months. It sits out on a stand full time in a bright room but not in direct sunlight. I just took off the selector ring to check and there's no change that I can see. I live in Southern California, so there's no lack of sunshine here. I'd like to see mine lighten also, but I think it's going to be a while.
So-Cal vs Scotland eh? And you havent seen a difference. I think I'm pissing into the wind then :laugh2:

Thanks for checking though.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I don't see how pissing in the wind will lighten the finish on the guitar...but I learn something new every day.

There are a couple (probably more) about guys fading the finish on their guitars by putting them outside in the sun. Over time, the sun will fade most things. If the light is coming through any kind of a treated glass, it's (the sun's) fading power may be reduced. I do not like the idea of heating up my guitar (the effect of direct sunlight on a dark object), but that's me. In direct sunlight, I'd expect that the black half of those zebras would be warm enough to melt some wax. Heating the entire guitar will cause all of it's components to expand (each at its own expansion rate) and as it cools, the respective pieces will likely return to their original dimensions and shapes. However, this can put considerable stress on the joints and the adhesive between the joints and might encourage some cracking in the finish, particularly where two pieces meet (e.g. where the cap meets the body or the FB meets the neck).

I think it looks great "as is."

Latest Threads