Suitable padding for a guitar stand?

Phylodog

Reaction score
My father made a guitar stand for me that'll hold four guitars. The padding he put on it is too thin to be of much help so I'd like to find something I can put on there that won't disturb the finish. Is there a material that is recommended?

TIA

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father made a guitar stand for me that'll hold four guitars. The padding he put on it is too thin to be of much help so I'd like to find something I can put on there that won't disturb the finish. Is there a material that is recommended?

TIA
cotton. Wrap with old t-shirt strips and put a cotton sock over it.

ARandall

Reaction score
I've got a wooden rack for my guitars that I made, and I simply went to a fabric store and bought bulk cotton material.

Axis39

Reaction score
When I built my guitar cabinet, I used crushed velvet. So far, so good. I used black to show off my guitars. I may still put some kind of material one the contact points (I used weather stripping underneath the velvet).

When I build my folding stands, I like leather. I picked up some nice un-dyed white-ish cow hide split. I have tried some foam I picked up at one of the craft stores and haven't had any issues yet either... But, I am still nervous about it. I've used white felt with good results. I've also tried the sticky felt stuff you get at Home Depot to stick on furniture feet.

White cotton is usually quite safe, but finding it thick enough to actually pad things out can be difficult... To get enough layers, it tends to be less than pretty.

Kennywayne

Reaction score

TIA
Perfect padding is the insulation wrap at hardware for plumbing pipes its easy to work with doesnt osts much and hold up great cines in lotta sizes

pbekkerh

Reaction score
On a standard rack I wrapped cotton bartape for roadbikes to protect the shellac and nitro from contact with any rubber with softening chemicals in it.

You could use that over the plumbing isolation

Last edited:

jkes01

Reaction score
Cork, it’s wood. Be careful with leather, the chemicals they use to tan will eat nitro.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I went with the foam pipe insulation and wrapped it with some soft cotton canvas. So far, so good and I'll be monitoring to make sure there isn't any reaction or damage forming. Thanks again for all of the suggestions, hopefully this works long term. I'm much more comfortable with them in this stand rather than hanging on the wall.

bum

Reaction score
I like the idea of using an old pair of denims for this, would that be OK?
I think it's look pretty cool.

Latest Threads