Suhr-realism

VictOr358

Reaction score
Gentlemen, as I have already been headlong and stated that I'm craving for a tribute of Pensa Suhr MK... Not a replica, more like a build inspired by the original Mark's axe. I'll just start yet another eternal build. :wave:

It will be a neck-thru and a Fender scale.
Same lamination as for my "commissioned" LP build - maple/purple heart, 9 ply.
Khaya body
Canadian flamed maple cup, 3/4" thick. Rather humble flame
SM rosewood FB.
NZ born Abalone inlays.

I've traced the shape, but there's a discrepancy in body specs. There's no blueprint, and all not so trusty info I've got is that the Suhr's body is 7/8ths (8.75%) of an original Strat. So far I've made two plans scaled by the nut and by the bridge EMG outer casing. The delta in between these two measures is 8.02%.

It is most probably caused by the photo perspective. I realize that I'm planning a tribute and not a replica, but I'd prefer to start with better measurements. Anyone knows an exact measure?

Owners? Eders? Masters? Wise people?
Any guidance will be most appreciated.

My current plan. Looks biggish... :Ohno:

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i am seriously in, my russian friend. i'm sure along with another terrific build, we will hear much of your beloved and anticipated humor.

VictOr358

Reaction score
i am seriously in, my russian friend. i'm sure along with another terrific build, we will hear much of your beloved and anticipated humor.
Thank you, my American friend FDP!!! =)
I've decided to go with parallel builds, as the Big Boys Do.
Tomorrow, if I'm lucky and the Moscow Utilities Service kill the heating, I'll resaw a blank of Khaya. Fat chance, I'll sweat long time =) But I have some fresh Christmas gifts - CDs of Tori Amos and Cesaria Evora and enough of aluminum profiles. What could go wrong? =)

Not sure if these will help Victor:
Much appreciated, Open_Book! Unfortunately, been there, didn't get the dimensions. Might be that my eye is soaped, as our Russian saying goes. But thank you so very much for your effort!

guitarsmith

Reaction score
Gentlemen, as I have already been headlong and stated that I'm craving for a tribute of Pensa Suhr MK... Not a replica, more like a build inspired by the original Mark's axe. I'll just start yet another eternal build. :wave:

It will be a neck-thru and a Fender scale.
Same lamination as for my "commissioned" LP build - maple/purple heart, 9 ply.
Khaya body
Canadian flamed maple cup, 3/4" thick. Rather humble flame
SM rosewood FB.
NZ born Abalone inlays.

I've traced the shape, but there's a discrepancy in body specs. There's no blueprint, and all not so trusty info I've got is that the Suhr's body is 7/8ths (8.75%) of an original Strat. So far I've made two plans scaled by the nut and by the bridge EMG outer casing. The delta in between these two measures is 8.02%.

It is most probably caused by the photo perspective. I realize that I'm planning a tribute and not a replica, but I'd prefer to start with better measurements. Anyone knows an exact measure?

Owners? Eders? Masters? Wise people?
Any guidance will be most appreciated.

My current plan. Looks biggish... :Ohno:
Victor - I have a suhr custom Koa - let me get you some measurements. Let me know if this is what you are looking for, mine is not a Modern

VictOr358

Reaction score
Victor - I have a suhr custom Koa - let me get you some measurements. Let me know if this is what you are looking for, mine is not a Modern

Bingo!!! :dude:

Thank you so much, Guitarsmith! This is the droid I'm looking for!!
Suhr Srandard, which I am after, it's the closest resemblance to Mark Knopfler model. And I believe their carvetop and archtop models are sharing the body template.

If you'd be so kind to take the "waist" and "hips" width and body thickness? That would be enough for scaling. Once again, much obliged!

guitarsmith

Reaction score
I will take photos of the back, this has some extreme carves for the lower horn and waist. Also the Tremolo cover on the back is not flush mount on these and sits on the surface of the wood - I thought that was a really odd thing when I received mine.

The tremolo pocket is lined with a felt like material, and all of the cavities are copper lined.

I will take a bunch of photos and send you the measurements on the files.

look for these in the next day or two

VictOr358

Reaction score
Please take your time, I'll have my time building a frame saw =)

I'm still not sure if I want to go with a licensed Floyd or a Schaller Hannes. Anyway, Mark had his Floyd fixed, he just liked those fine tuners. =)

VictOr358

Reaction score
Almost there.
- 1"- ish (25 mm x 1 mm wall) Al pipe, 2pieces by 1 meter (~3' each)
- 2 threaded 8 mm rods, 1 meter each
- 2 threaded hooks (8 mm dia.)
- A "guided saw" blade, 550 mm (~21.7")
- Nuts and washers.

Here's the concept:

Cousin Sow...

This one is under 16 bucks (thanks for the exchange rate) and I can have both a frame saw and a bow saw with the same set of parts.

Threaded rods, nuts and washers are not shown on the draft, but I'm pretty sure you, Gentlemen, know how they look like.

I'm not so sure if these hooks will work well in order to keep the blade aligned, I'll post the test results.

VictOr358

Reaction score
Well, I'm done with my frame/bow saw.

Some fine tuning left to be done. But so far, the construction is rigid enough to keep square under tension.

(!!) Those garden variety threaded hooks do not work. Had to improvise :dunno:

Test drive is coming as soon as I learn the MK's Suhr's body thickness =)
After the test I'll be glad to share an approximate parts list and a build guide, if some one would be interested =)

VictOr358

Reaction score
It's a fully acoustic sow, FDP =) And a pretty resonant one, I must say... Old grown Aluminum, I presume... :rofl:

Barnaby

Reaction score
After the test I'll be glad to share an approximate parts list and a build guide, if some one would be interested =)
I'm someone...and I'm interested! :dude:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDXzZ1Gc2I&spfreload=10"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VDXzZ1Gc2I&spfreload=10[/ame]

VictOr358

Reaction score
Altightey then =)

But I'd note a couple of things first.

1. I've been using 25 mm pipe with a 1 mm wall and 8 mm threaded rods.
Next time I'd go with 30 mm pipe with a 2 mm wall and 10 mm threaded rods. Because in this case I'd avoid a necessity to reinforce the pipes and I'd be using larger coupling nuts, all thing would be stiffer.

2. An even better solution would be using a square rod with a turned thread and a tubular washer to mount the blade. But if you have a metalworking lathe, you're most probably not interested in a self-made hand saw =)

All parts in:

A metal saw, a file and a set of drills. the cuts are not too accurate, I know =(

You don't really have to, but it's a good idea to add some compression rod centering shims.

Bow saw, same set of parts.

To cut and file the coping pipe shapes, I've been using this resource:
Tube Coping Calculator

Enter the dimensions, print 1:1, cut the paper, wrap, align and glue :)

I'd say, in my case of parts chosen, the dimensions is blade length + 2 coupling nuts lengths + an inch for the tension adjustment =)

Latest Threads