Suggestions on placing compressor and delay?

Atmospherium

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm running a pedal board with:

Wah > Tube Screamer > Phaser > Tremelo > Reverb

And I'm going to add a delay pedal and compressor pedal into this. What are your suggestions for placing them?

I've heard that compression should go at the start after Wah, so the effects work on the compressed sound, rather than the compressor compressing the effected sound.

Obvious choice for delay seems with the modulating effects - phaser first, and then either before or after tremolo. Also So I'm thinking:

Wah > Compressor > Tube Screamer > Phaser > Tremelo/Delay > Reverb

...although I've heard that the phaser is better before the dirt as it dominates less, so maybe:

Wah > Compressor > Phaser > Tube Screamer > Tremelo/Delay > Reverb

Any thoughts on the order of Delay and Tremelo?

Many thanks

Jazzfinger

Reaction score
I like Comp after dirt. I like Analog Phasers before dirt and digital phaser after dirt. Tremolo before delay. If your delay is just for Slap, I like it early in the chain. For long delays or multi-tap, I always run it last.

It all comes down to how you use it. FOr the way I use my effects the rules above are non-negotiable but you might find a different order works better for you.

You just have to try it ou and see what happens.

Fugazi39

Reaction score
Tremolo is a tricky one but I like it before delay and reverb. Put the compressor right after the wah.

Some cats put tremolo last. That can work too.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO:

Wet is always last. DDL, ADL, DRev, whatever you prefer as your 'wet'
Modulation of any kind is always immediately before wet. CHorus/ Flange/Phase Shifter

Boost/gain/distortion/comp first BUT it is a gray area with some pedals. Play around and see what works for you as in which of those is first.

moreles

Reaction score
Your order is generally the one I use. I usually like hitting my distortion with a compressed signal, but for some fuzzes and ODs, germanium particularly, getting the signal directly from the guitar is really desirable if you want touch sensitivity.

Gar

Reaction score
I used to run compessor before od but now run it after. I like the way the overdrive responds to my dynamics and then compress that tone. With comp before od your od is hit with one dynamic. Just experiment as all pedals and players require something different.

Latest Threads