Suggestions for a Noise gate?

ehamady6

Reaction score
The Y Splitter only powers 2 pedals though. When connected to an AC adapter, the NS2 can supply power to 7 other pedals via a daisychain cable (PCS20A power connection cable). I daisychain 4 pedals from my TU2 Tuner and 4 from my NS2. That's powering 8 pedals using only 2 ports of my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2.

jerryo

Reaction score
Zoom makes a good one (its built into most of their devices)...

It seem to have no effect on anything other than the noise.

ynot

Reaction score
The Y Splitter only powers 2 pedals though. When connected to an AC adapter, the NS2 can supply power to 7 other pedals via a daisychain cable (PCS20A power connection cable). I daisychain 4 pedals from my TU2 Tuner and 4 from my NS2. That's powering 8 pedals using only 2 ports of my Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2.
I power 5 from the PSA-120s with a one spot 5 way jumper & only use the NS-2's jumper to send to one other pedal.A jumper is a jumper,they make ones to jump to up to 7 pedals I think,but it is still dependent on the ma's of the power supply.The NS-2 is doing nothing more in & of itself then supplying a jumper built in.Don't get me wrong,it is convenient.I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea & assume the NS-2 will actually supply any more power.Regardless,it's a nice noise reduction pedal.I have no problems with mine at all.

Strikerfox

Reaction score
Reading Owls, I used to have the same issue that you have with added noise. I normally play with a crunch tone from a pushed amp but if I added pedals on a clean amp to get some crunch/ distortion, I would get noise. I decided to buy a noise gate (NS-2) but I realized that it was the fact that the Boss pedals I had are crap component quality wise.

I now use boutique pedals (buy them used to save some cash) which are made with military spec parts. Difference can be substantial: 1% tolerance resistors on Boutique vs 15-20% tolerance on Boss/ Digitech/MXR. I used to think it was an issue with the Mains in my house but it was a similar situation everywhere I went. Very low noise, no extra annoying hum, what more can you ask for. Dont use a noise gate anymore.

Some people scoff at boutique pedals, and I agree some are extremely expensive and overhyped, but look into some Zvex, lovepedal, MJM, to name a few. You will be surprise how much your tone improves w.o sacrificing sustain or signal quality by using a boss ns-2.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Reading Owls, I used to have the same issue that you have with added noise. I normally play with a crunch tone from a pushed amp but if I added pedals on a clean amp to get some crunch/ distortion, I would get noise. I decided to buy a noise gate (NS-2) but I realized that it was the fact that the Boss pedals I had are crap component quality wise.

I now use boutique pedals (buy them used to save some cash) which are made with military spec parts. Difference can be substantial: 1% tolerance resistors on Boutique vs 15-20% tolerance on Boss/ Digitech/MXR. I used to think it was an issue with the Mains in my house but it was a similar situation everywhere I went. Very low noise, no extra annoying hum, what more can you ask for. Dont use a noise gate anymore.

Some people scoff at boutique pedals, and I agree some are extremely expensive and overhyped, but look into some Zvex, lovepedal, MJM, to name a few. You will be surprise how much your tone improves w.o sacrificing sustain or signal quality by using a boss ns-2.
I use a mixture - a lot of dan electro "crap" and some brand name boxes - OCD et cetera.
None of them make noise.

epilespaul2000

Reaction score
Hum would indicate a grounding issue...

Instead of trying to clean up the noisy mess, it's better to prevent it by investing in good cables and a good power supply for the pedals (regulated outputs with isolated grounds) and power conditioning or voltage regulation for the mains.

I agree with these. :thumb:

Latest Threads