Sub-Forum Cross-Pollination - Backing Track of the Month

DotStudio

Reaction score
Recently I stumbled into the "Guitar Lessons" sub-forum here on MLP. Forum member Orange Lester sets up a backing track every month for everyone to do their worst to. This month's track is a Pink Floyd-inspired tune:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385070

It's a great group of guys that offer up their knowledge and show off their skills. You can record it using software, your phone, or post up a video. Here's my first take for the month:

Listen to FloydJam1 by DotStudio #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/dot-studio-803888133/floydjam1

Anyways, I love hearing everybody play. Figured I'd put the word out in case people were unaware. Hope to hear you soon :wave:

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
I jam mostly to blues tracks. I followed the Backing Track thread for the first year and only heard one track that I could attempt to jam to.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I jam mostly to blues tracks. I followed the Backing Track thread for the first year and only heard one track that I could attempt to jam to.
BB was last month. Lots of great takes from everybody. :)

Floyd is basically just blues with a lot of bendy bits. Give it a go :wave:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like the clean sound best. How did you record?

DotStudio

Reaction score
I like the clean sound best. How did you record?
Squier Strat -> Mic'd Monoprice Tube Combo -> Scarlett 2i2 -> Ableton

Added a little reverb in Ableton.

I'd love to hear what you do with the track Joey :cool:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Squier Strat -> Mic'd Monoprice Tube Combo -> Scarlett 2i2 -> Ableton

Added a little reverb in Ableton.

I'd love to hear what you do with the track Joey :cool:
Monoprice sounded good man.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
Nice Dot. Sounds more Mark Knopfler to me, which is fine of course. 75% - 25%. :D

DotStudio

Reaction score
One more bump before it fades into obscurity. :wave:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I still need to hit this at some point. I'm insanely busy with review material after NAMM 2017

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Btw, monoprice had a small stage set up at NAMM and all instruments lighting amps everything : was monoprice. Impressive. Band sounded good too.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I still need to hit this at some point. I'm insanely busy with review material after NAMM 2017
Perfect opportunity to test out one of those killer amps you keep dragging into the Squawk Box :cool:

Btw, monoprice had a small stage set up at NAMM and all instruments lighting amps everything : was monoprice. Impressive. Band sounded good too.
Yeah, they make surprisingly nice products throughout their line.

The General

Reaction score
Damn, Dot. That was pretty durn good!!!! I could swear I just read a post on a soloing thread from you where you said you did everything wrong. Must have been an imposter, since what you posted for the backing track sounds great. I could definitely hear the Gilmour. Very nice work!

I've been listening to the submittals on the backing track threads for a few months. Been tempted to try some of them, just don't have very good recording equipment (well, I don't have ANY, to tell the truth). Plus, there are some great players that post and it's pretty intimidating. Very cool to listen to, though. Amazing how people can take the same basic track in so many different and cool directions.

DotStudio

Reaction score
Ha, thanks :thumb: Everyone gets lucky from time to time.

It can be a bit intimidating. Some of those guys make my noodling sound silly, but I find it helpful to give it a try at least. My first couple of takes were just recordings using my phone with the track playing through a speaker in the background. Give it a shot :wave:

parts

Reaction score
General

You don't need much equipment..
I have a $90 M Audio M Track and a old Pod Pro..and Audacity (free)..
May not be the best..or sound the best..but it does record good enough for what I play....

If this old duffer can do it..anyone can..

DotStudio

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really not that pricey. Here is everything I used from amp to computer for the first part of the track (the software came free with the interface):

Scarlett 2i2 - $150 new, $70 used at Guitar Center

So for $150 to $250, you can make a half decent recording (I use the pop filter for vocals).

The second part of the track was even simpler. Fender Mustang III direct to the interface using an XLR cable.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I liked that a lot! Great job.

The General

Reaction score
Dot, pardon some dumb questions but:

my practice amp is a Blackstar ID:15 TVP. It has an emulated out(headphones) and a mini-usb port. Would I still need an interface or can I go direct to my laptop? Obviously would need the right cable setup.

I'm looking at that Audacity program that Parts uses (since it's free and I'm cheap).

Latest Threads