Stupid strap locks help!?!

ItsChrispyTv

Reaction score
ok so i just bought a new strap (red monkey slasher) its a brilliant strap looks great and everything. i tried to fit my strap locks but the holes to small and the straps to thick. Me and my dad tried drilling a slightly bigger whole and all its done is made the strap look crappy. I've just put it on the normal strap picks without the locks. I've put on one lock strap from dunlop as it fits. I just ordered 2 rubber ones off ebay so im just wondering if they are gonna fit. Does anyone know some kind of strap lock that will properly fit the strap and everything at the moment im using cheap metal ones that are copys of schallers.
thanks in advance

ijustdontgiveaf

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
edit: nvrmind i misread your post.

edit2: what i do with my schallers is that i turn them like a screw to get them on the strap tightly for being able to put the washer and the top on properly..

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
I've had the same problem everytime I've put schallers on my good straps. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers to force strapt over the threads on the lock, and eventually, I was able to put the washer on. It's a pain in the ass, but worth it.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No kidding? You tried to drill a hole into a strap? :shock:

Custom53

Reaction score
What I do... I don't like Dunplops but I do like how they fasten to the strap... Very easy and they don't come loose.

I love Schallers but putting them on the strap is a pain and unless you use locktite the nut it will come loose. (read: IT WILL COME LOOSE)
As stated above, a sturdy pair of needle nose really helps...

I also get slightly bigger and/or slighter longer screws than come with them. (I think I use #7 or #8 x 1" or 1-1/4" screws) Sometimes I have even drilled out the locks to fit the larger screws. Never had a problem that way....

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Here's what I do: Instead of puting the lock on the strap, just put the strap over the schaller button on the guitar, then lock the lock part onto the button over top of the strap. It'll never come off that way, guaranteed.

Liter O'Cola

Reaction score
yes, i now regret doing it hahaha

:shock:

I don't know if it's salvageable at this point, but you can use a 'leather punch' to make bigger holes in the strap. It's like a metal spike and acts as a template. You lay it down over the spot where you wanna make the hole and then use a hammer to smack the spike down.

They're only a couple bucks, but you'll need to figure out which size you may need.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Schaller's are tuff to install but worth it. Use needle nose pliers to force the strap over the threads on the lock. Place the nut over the lock and tighten it down to seat the strap. Remove the nut and you will see there is enough thread to seat the washer and the bolt.

ehamady6

Reaction score
I had trouble inserting the locks on one of my straps so I held the end over some boiling water and the steam made the strap hole more pliable. The lock then installed easily.

Hizzy

My 15 minutes are up
Reaction score

I don't know if it's salvageable at this point, but you can use a 'leather punch' to make bigger holes in the strap. It's like a metal spike and acts as a template. You lay it down over the spot where you wanna make the hole and then use a hammer to smack the spike down.

They're only a couple bucks, but you'll need to figure out which size you may need.

A 3/8 leather punch and a plastic mallet will do the trick. Have any Tandy Leather stores close to you? Thats where I got mine.

Liter O'Cola

Reaction score
A 3/8 leather punch and a plastic mallet will do the trick. Have any Tandy Leather stores close to you? Thats where I got mine.

Do you know if 3/8 is the correct for Dunlop or Schaller?

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love Schallers but putting them on the strap is a pain and unless you use locktite the nut it will come loose. (read: IT WILL COME LOOSE)

That's not true.
If you install them correctly, the nut won't come loose.
I've tightened mine with a wrench and I've yet to have a problem.

Torren61

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;2243014 said:
That's not true.

Same here.

Custom53

Reaction score
-=[Shifty]=-;2243014 said:
That's not true.

How often do you play...? I love them and have them on almost every guitar I own and eventually they come loose... But I play them quite a bit... And yes, I don't believe I have ever put them on without a wrench...:laugh2:

I was trying to help a novice and really don't appreciate being called a liar... "That's not true."

chrisuk

Reaction score
I agree.

Loctite - I have three sets and some can loosen themselves. To be safe put them on and then you can drip the loctite in afterwards. There isn't really a downside.

newsat

Reaction score

Throw the guitar in the garbage and start from scratch!!!

Grey

Reaction score
Not sure why you had problems... the holes are a standard size and i've fitted Schallers to much thicker leather straps without much trouble.
I can't believe you drilled holes in a 100$ strap. :laugh2:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How often do you play...? I love them and have them on almost every guitar I own and eventually they come loose... But I play them quite a bit... And yes, I don't believe I have ever put them on without a wrench...:laugh2:

I was trying to help a novice and really don't appreciate being called a liar... "That's not true."

I play every day. I also use the same strap for all of my LPs, so no matter which one I play, it's always the same pair of strap attachments that gets used.
Like I said, I've never had a nut come loose, so far.
When I said I tightened them with a wrench, I meant I really tightened them, up to the point where the attachment would rotate although it has those hooks that should prevent it from rotating.

As for calling you a liar, I'm sorry, but I didn't do that.
I'm pretty sure that, in your experience, your statement is true.
But if you go from your own experience and make a generalized statement like that, you have to expect that there are people who don't share that experience which will disagree.
There are so many people here that use Schaller strap locks, yet there are only a few who always claim that the nut comes loose.

Latest Threads