Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
stupid.jpg

While doing the finish work on a Tweed Cab, I made a startling discovery. I made the cab backwards!!! The top of the tweed cabs have 1" less depth than the bottom, so the front of the cab slopes back. Well, being the idiot that I am I routed the cab so the front is straight and the slope is in the back of the cab.

20211018_090734.jpg

20211018_090714.jpg

20211018_090618.jpg

It's the sort of thing that would probably go unnoticed until the moment it hits you and you go WTF.

At this point I don't know what to do with it. Probably throw it on the bonfire some evening. Certainly not something I want to put my name on. At least I haven't spent the tedious work of applying all the coats of shellac and lacquer.

I'd like to say "live and learn", but I have a feeling this won't be the last time.

Last edited:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This has Custom Shop Limited Edition all over it! :thumb:

Yeah, the 2021 "Post Pandemic" one-off cab. :rofl: :rofl:

Or perhaps, I can market it as a new prototype design that enhances the low-freqs that are otherwise lost in a standard tweed cab. The sloped rear panels project the low-freq standing waves to enhance bass response.

redking

Reaction score
Rather than destroy it, I would just sell it as a "factory second" with no name on it for someone to use for their own "kit" amp project. People building their first tube amp would be happy to have something so nice to put it in. (aside from how it may not project the sound exactly how you want it to based on the angle - it actually looks pretty cool with that "Hot Rod" stance)

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a pair of legs on the front would save the cab and the projection, look cool, and you could keep it as a test mule. On the other hand, I'm not always particular about how things look as long as they're functional :laugh2:

redking

Reaction score
I think a pair of legs on the front would save the cab and the projection, look cool, and you could keep it as a test mule. On the other hand, I'm not always particular about how things look as long as they're functional :laugh2:
good idea - just put some tall feet on the front and some tiny feet on the back

Big John

Don't mess with the cat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't write this off as a Gump moment just yet, Don. Load it up, fire it up, stand back, and let your ears decide. You might have accidentally stumbled into something.

grumphh

Reaction score

Or perhaps, I can market it as a new prototype design that enhances the low-freqs that are otherwise lost in a standard tweed cab. The sloped rear panels project the low-freq standing waves to enhance bass response.
This being the internet, yes. That is how music stuff gets marketed, so you can do it too.
Someone is bound to buy it (at a vastly exaggerated price of course, after all it is a prototype that may rise sharply in value - so you'll need to create a COA as well, in order to justify the price) and will then post about how his low end has never been so affirmative before.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This being the internet, yes. That is how music stuff gets marketed, so you can do it too.
Someone is bound to buy it (at a vastly exaggerated price of course, after all it is a prototype that may rise sharply in value - so you'll need to create a COA as well, in order to justify the price) and will then post about how his low end has never been so affirmative before.

The internet is definitely the wild west. P.T. Barnum's got nottin on me! :rofl::rofl:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Use enough big important sounding words to describe it and popcorn munchers will get in a bidding war....

Roxy13

Reaction score
If one of my first builds here has a major cosmetic problem or something I'm going to finish it anyway and find an underpriviledged kid who is dying for a guitar to donate it to. It will at least be set up nicely to learn on.

smk506

Reaction score
That is still way too nice for a scrap fire IMO, but I can get not wanting something less than perfect out there.

Worse case I’d put an undrilled faceplate where the chassis would show, seal up the back and make an extension cab out of it.

Best case something would fit and look cool in there.

Latest Threads