stumped on 50s wiring

Mr French

Reaction score
It's late, I'm a bit stumped and disoriented right now with a slight low blood sugar. Working on this kids epiphone LP who lives down the street and he wanted new electronics which I installed 20 min aog. I always follow this 50s diagram but tonight I am lost. I have a ground buzz that I just can't figure out.

I made some edits to the grounding on what I did and I "think" the output jack grounding in the culprit but I'm tired and my multimeter died. My eye actually are hurting right now so don't bash me too hard lol.

Good night

lp 50s.JPG

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I guess the ThroBak drawing isn't totally complete, actually.

It doesn't show that the wire going to the switch / jack should all be shielded with the shield grounded.

Most will know that but someone is going to try to wire that up with Fender-style cloth covered wire or unshielded hookup wire. ...and that would work, but would hum and have noise issues.

drivers1959

Reaction score
It's late, I'm a bit stumped and disoriented right now with a slight low blood sugar. Working on this kids epiphone LP who lives down the street and he wanted new electronics which I installed 20 min aog. I always follow this 50s diagram but tonight I am lost. I have a ground buzz that I just can't figure out.

I made some edits to the grounding on what I did and I "think" the output jack grounding in the culprit but I'm tired and my multimeter died. My eye actually are hurting right now so don't bash me too hard lol.

Good night

View attachment 652833
when u do figure it out ..let us know...im curious,..best of luck

Guitar Quackery

Reaction score
Can you post clear photos of your solder joints on the switch?

Sometimes people get confused there.

NylesR

Reaction score
Depending on if the switch you’re using is American made or an import switch the center lug for the ground and the middle position can be in opposite spots. I made that mistake years ago on a Jimmy Page Wiring on a Les Paul that I used an old Epiphone switch. Took me hours of checking every single solder joint to finally figure out I ran the ground to the middle position on the switch. Best of luck!

Mr French

Reaction score
Depending on if the switch you’re using is American made or an import switch the center lug for the ground and the middle position can be in opposite spots. I made that mistake years ago on a Jimmy Page Wiring on a Les Paul that I used an old Epiphone switch. Took me hours of checking every single solder joint to finally figure out I ran the ground to the middle position on the switch. Best of luck!
Are you refering to the 3 way toggle? If so, I only use switchcraft but come to think I think I'm using the stock input jack.

I have to look at it after I fully wake up.

NylesR

Reaction score
Are you refering to the 3 way toggle? If so, I only use switchcraft but come to think I think I'm using the stock input jack.

I have to look at it after I fully wake up.
Yes. If you’re used to using Switchcraft and are using an import changes are the location on the switch you’re used to as being the middle position is actually the ground. Hope that helps and makes sense

56lp

Reaction score
As mentioned: If you are using a Switchcraft switch, follow the ThroBak 50s drawing. That is correct for the Switchcraft switch.

I have wired many guitars like this. At the Switchcraft switch, I connect the center ground from the switch and outer shields of each wire, all together.

NylesR

Reaction score
You can use that throbak diagram for either but you just have to be mindful of the difference in the middle lug and ground lug on an import switch and solder them into the correct lugs.

dasherf17

Reaction score
You can use that throbak diagram for either but you just have to be mindful of the difference in the middle lug and ground lug on an import switch and solder them into the correct lugs.
...using the thick lug on the switch is ground, yes? And will it not work at all or just sound "reversed" if done wrong? I have an issue with one of mine...sorry to intrude...

NylesR

Reaction score
...using the thick lug on the switch is ground, yes? And will it not work at all or just sound "reversed" if done wrong? I have an issue with one of mine...sorry to intrude...
If you run the middle position wire to the ground on the switch lug it won’t work properly. I can’t recall what it caused mine to do exactly (5 years ago) when I made the mistake. Nothing good tho that’s for sure

Mr French

Reaction score
How are you feeling today? Had me concerned...
Thanks. Just had slight low blood sugar after being up so late. Feeling good today except my darn cell phone is not charging so I have to get a new one.

Mr French

Reaction score
Bridge ground wire not/bad soldered maybe?
Possibly, I've yet to check it as I've been running errands. I have an appointment with T-mobile in about 30 minutes for a new phone as my Samsung is no longer charging.

Latest Threads