Studios - What year did they DO that?

Blind Jasper

Reaction score
Hello friends. I have a 1984 LP Studio in black and I've noticed several differences from the ones that are being produced today. Specifically mine has a binding and dot inlays.

My real question is about the pickups. I havent pulled them yet to see what's written on the botton but there are stickers on the p/u rings that say Patent Applied For. I know later Studios come stock with the 490-498 combo but does anyone know what the original Studios came with?

Someone told me they were Tim Shaws but I have a hard time believing it. Although I have to say they do sound phenominal.

Any other differences between early studios (wood, paint) that you know about, as well as what year they switched, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always for any help you can give.

Blind Jasper

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
It may be a Studio Custom. And yes, higher end Studios of the mid 80s had Shaws. Well kept secret. Your Studio is far superior than the ones they make today!

siggy14

Reaction score
I also believe yours is an alder body with a maple neck if memory serves me correct.

Lemonhead

Reaction score
I believe they were Studio Standards

p1_uwq52ffss_so.jpg

Gibson20Les20Paul20Studio20Standard.jpg

Mule

Reaction score
They had the studio standards and customs. I found this on the web..

"During the early 80's Gibson decided to release a custom shop line. The guitar followed the original specs of the studio but with upgraded wood and materials.

All models made from 1983 until 1984 featured alder carved topped bodies with set maple necks. The mahogany body and neck combination did not appear until 1985 per Gibson Customer Service"

They're nice guitars. They sound a bit different to a regular LP. I think because of the maple neck and alder body.

Post a pic of yours if you can. I'd like to see it.

Blind Jasper

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks. I'll try and get a pic up this weekend. Its definitely a Standard as they did the binding and dot inlay as late as 86. The p/u's blow me away which is why I asked.

Also, would an alder body's finish start cracking? Thats whats happening with mine, I'm getting long vertical cracks the length of the body.

Mule

Reaction score
Also, would an alder body's finish start cracking? Thats whats happening with mine, I'm getting long vertical cracks the length of the body.

I don't know if its the alder body or not but mine is doing the same thing. I thought it was the nitros finish starting to check but the local guitar guru said that it wasnt. He thought it either had been exposed to some moisture or it was a shitty finish job from the factory. Interesting to know its happening to yours also.

There are some posts on this board already about identifying Shaw PUPs. I think there is a purple ink stamp on the back of most of them.

"The first three digits will tell you the type. 137 is a neck pickup with less windings and 138 is a bridge pickup with more windings. There is a date code after the fist three digits. 1381280 would be a bridge Shaw made in December 1980."

Deftone

Reaction score
What was the only year studio's came with a Floyd Rose trem?

duh....

Blind Jasper

Reaction score
I have serious checking in the nitros on mine as well as the cracking in the paint.

Blind Jasper

Reaction score
I have another question on p/u's from the mid 80's. I also have an SG 61 RI from 1986, the first year they made them and often called the 62. I found an original ad from 1986 that says the p/u's are "Patent Applied For". Is there a chance these are Shaws? If not, what p/u today is comparable to these? I know that new SG 61 RI's come with 57's but I have two mid 80's Gibsons that have similiar sounding, and pretty amazing, p/u's. I would, like any guitar player, like to think I stumbled (twice!) onto pure gold.

Anyone?
Thanks
Jasper

Blind Jasper

Reaction score
So I checked the back of the bridge pick up and there is the pat no. and then there is a stamped number, it was 3731084. The 10/84 matches the serial number. But what about the 373? Anyone? Would that make it a shaw?

frets2005

Reaction score
I purchased a guitar exactly like this in 1983. It was a Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul Studio Custom Shop Series. Unfortunately I traded it off about 15 years ago, they are very rare and mine played like melted butter. If you can get your hands on one, don't let go!! Mine had P.A.F. humbuckers on it.

Mule

Reaction score
Did it look anything like this?

Plays like butter!:thumb:

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 136

EEF13

Reaction score
I have never seen a Studio Standard before

Mule

Reaction score
Thanks, if you like the 60s tapered necks this thing is to die for.

Latest Threads