Studio neck profiles

EvanPC

Reaction score
Quick question - have all studio's been made with the same neck profile, or has there been some variation over the years/models?

The Gibson website states that Studio's have 50's style necks. Is this true across the board? I've got a 2006 Premium Plus, and I'm wondering the about the "name" of the specific neck profile.

Slainte

Funkwire

Reaction score
My 08 has a 59 neck. Still the rounded profile, but not a 'baseball-bat' feel like the 50s neck.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The currently offered Studios have a 50s neck. The exceptions are the Studio Deluxe, Studio Silverburst, Studio Pro Plus and Studio Tribute 60s, all which have a SlimTaper 60s neck.

EvanPC

Reaction score
My 08 has a 59 neck. Still the rounded profile, but not a 'baseball-bat' feel like the 50s neck.
I think this is where some of my confusion comes in. There's "50's necks", and then there's "59's".

It's difficult to find specs on my particular Studio. I know it's definitely one of the two mentioned previously, I'm just not sure which.

EDIT: Found this - http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile649.html

Looks like mine is a 59. Sounds about right. Definitely has that baseball bat feel, which I like.

SexyGibson

Reaction score
I owned a '92 Studio Lite that had a 60s slim taper neck profile. It was the best playing Studio of any I've ever owned.

azimuth

Reaction score
I had an '06 studio once which had what I thought was a 59 neck. I measured it while I had it. .827" 1st fret, .969" 12th fret.

For comparison my '05 classic 60s neck is .795" 1st fret, .882 12th fret.

Indyclone

Reaction score
my '92 Studio has a '59 neck... when I bought it I tried a Lite, and it was thicker without being bat-like.

EvanPC

Reaction score
OK, so clearly the neck profiles vary quite a bit.

We've got 50's, 59's, and 60's in the same model line. I started to second guess my thinking that I "prefer" my Studio's neck profile versus just being used to it.

After recently swapping out the pups in an Epi LP, I've been playing it a lot more lately. Off the bat, I found the thin neck awkward, but forced myself to play through that. Now, it's not as awkward and it's comfortable, but I still prefer my Studio...

Just trying to narrow down every little detail of what I like on a guitar, and why, so my next purchase is "perfect".

Deej

Reaction score
59 rounded neck is about the middle point between a 50's rounded and a 60's slim taper, that I can tell.

My 05 Studio Premium Plus has a 59 neck, which is what I've found I prefer the most, less my 89 Custom, which has either a 59 or 60s slim taper... can't really figure that one out, and haven't really found any specs out there for it. It is definitely slimmer than the 59 neck. I think it was likely a 59 that was sanded down a little bit more. The necks are sanded down my hand, from what I understand, and can vary slightly. I have a 50s Tribute, which feels really close to the 59

From what I do understand, anything newer that says 50s rounded neck is closer to the 59 neck than the older baseball bats, unless it's a historic or re-issue.

So the new term we are now seeing with guitars just released for "Studio rounded neck profile" is closer to a 59 rounded neck than a 50's rounded.

I also have heard that most studio guitars in the 90's were 59 necks, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

starscream

Reaction score
I also have heard that most studio guitars in the 90's were 59 necks, but I haven't been able to confirm that.
Most of the Studio Lite guitars from the 90's are slim 60s necks. I think the Lites switched to 59 for the last year or two of production.

praga37

Reaction score
Quick question - have all studio's been made with the same neck profile, or has there been some variation over the years/models?

The Gibson website states that Studio's have 50's style necks. Is this true across the board? I've got a 2006 Premium Plus, and I'm wondering the about the "name" of the specific neck profile.

Slainte
I have a wine red 03 Studio with a 59 neck profile. I adore it!

judson

Reaction score
i have a 90 and 93 studio...big fat necks which feel great

but doesnt help much sometimes as how big is big and fat?

i have been meaning to get one of these to measure so its better to post a better idea of big fat...but they are the beefier necks of all my LPs...

contour gauge $8 bucks at Home Depot

scozz

Reaction score
@EvanPC....a 2006 Studio Premium Plus has a 59 rounded neck.

Btw....loved to see pics of that Premium Plus!!

scozz

Reaction score
I think this is where some of my confusion comes in. There's "50's necks", and then there's "59's...Looks like mine is a 59. Sounds about right. Definitely has that baseball bat feel, which I like.
Your 06 Studio PP has a 59 rounded profile neck. The 50s profile refer to a thicker neck than a 59 profile. I have a 2004 SG Standard that has a huge neck, (referred to as ‘baseball bat’)...much larger than my 06 Studio.

Macronaut

Reaction score
i have a 90 and 93 studio...big fat necks which feel great

but doesnt help much sometimes as how big is big and fat?

i have been meaning to get one of these to measure so its better to post a better idea of big fat...but they are the beefier necks of all my LPs...

contour gauge $8 bucks at Home Depot
Ok, I want one of these.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I feel like most of the ones I've had had been '59ish, but my coppertop with the marker less ebony board really stood out to me as huge.... hate I sold it, b/c it also had the hottest 498 I've run across. I've said it before and will again, what Gibson considers a certain spec is pretty subjective and varied across the board, just need to get some hands on a few.

Lester

Reaction score
I'm a slim taper guy. My experience is that I find more LP's and SG's with thick 50's and baseball necks when I go guitar shopping these days, particularly with the SG. But that's very subjective... I have no idea whe current production levels are.

The neck to center body curve dimension is different on an SG. So when you sit, the SG neck seems really far to the left. For me it's less comfortable (different) than most other guitars (including Strat /Tele) until I get used to it. Standing up changes the rules. I also like the way a heavy LP stays butt down, but that's not for everyone.

Latest Threads