Studio Deluxe Volume/Tone Controls

Classicplayer

Reaction score
What exactly are the Les Paul Studio Deluxe volume and tone controls all about? I looked in the control cavity and see that on the volumes there is some type plastic (?) attached to the control, and how do they differ from previous pots put in Studios? The volumes are tapped with push pull switches. I think they still have the 300K linear volumes and 500K audio taper tone pots. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, when I run my volumes at about 7, which is where I run my Classic, I get a very loud hum on the amp.... .ground problem?
Faulty control? Cold solder joint?.......Very annoying.

Classicplayer

tzd

Reaction score
Gibson specs both Volume and Tone to be 500k pots. I don't get any hum on my Studio Deluxe. Could be a wiring problem.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
tzd,

Thanks for that valuable information. I suspect a cold solder joint or two as one of the joint has that less than shiny look to it. My local tech will look at it next week.

Classicplayer

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
Volume = 500K linear
Tone = 500k non-linear

Do you get the hum in single-coil or humbucking mode or both?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
There is a pronounce hum at 7 on the volumes in both single and humbucker mode. Actually, the hum is present at any point that the volumes are set at, just very noticeable at 7. It is a 2010 Studio Deluxe, one of the several hundred made for Guitar Center. This one I got used, but the receipt in the case shows it sold at a Guitar Center. Guitar is quite good, except for the noise. Thanks for explaining the values of the pots. I did not know that.

Classicplayer

Latest Threads