Stubborn truss rod.

bigtuna

Reaction score
Ok I posted a while back about an aria ill I would. Be getting put back together. Got it a a stripped body and neck. Any way got the bridge and tailpiece on. Has been you know without strings for a LONG time. Was fitting a bone nut. Threw couple strings on and the neck needs to come up a bit. Truss rod is not frozen but very stiff to move and seems to not move the neck. Guessing that ice moved it close to 3/4 of a revolution?? Should I see any results from this much?? Let it test overbite??

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Ok I posted a while back about an aria ill I would. Be getting put back together. Got it a a stripped body and neck. Any way got the bridge and tailpiece on. Has been you know without strings for a LONG time. Was fitting a bone nut. Threw couple strings on and the neck needs to come up a bit. Truss rod is not frozen but very stiff to move and seems to not move the neck. Guessing that ice moved it close to 3/4 of a revolution?? Should I see any results from this much?? Let it test overbite??
Probably not helpful, but my buddy's bass is really tough to turn. Much less to let it set in place until you find the right adjustment. Truss may be gritty. Like pistons without oil I guess? I'm not really familiar with these, but I do appreciate a lot of their models.

Roxy13

Reaction score
This. And get the whole set of strings on and tuned up while it sits, might be all it needs.
Yes, we need more info here to offer any real guidance, but I won't turn one more than 1/4 turn without leaving it settle for the night. 3/4 concerns me I have to say. There are other things you can do to help the truss rod like force the neck straight or even into a slight backbow with the truss rod nut off and then putting it back on. The threads on it might be rusty too, and would benefit from some cleaning and lubricant while the nut is off. That might be why it's being difficult to turn.

kakerlak

Reaction score
A little dab of vaseline on the nut will make a ton of difference if it's actually stiff on the threads. If the neck is bowed and the nut is stiff because it's nearing the end if its adjustment, you might try adding a couple thin washers or you may also find it can't be brought straight. If the latter, you might have some success taking it to a talented repair person to see if the neck can be coaxed straighter with heat and strategic clamping.

If it's a backbow situation, you might find months of string tension are needed (but are all you need) to bring it back. Presumably, it was sitting adjusted to a spot that was reasonable when it was last strung, unless it was taken out of service for the very issue you're now discovering. Best of luck!

bigtuna

Reaction score
It needs raised , strings badly buzzing if I fret the first fretbit the nut needs to be lowered as well. Ill let it settle down overnite

Roxy13

Reaction score
I am still unclear about whether you have too much backbow or forebow, but I am suspecting forebow? If so please read this article. This is what the situation was on one of my Arias when it arrived. The truss rod had been overtightened and so much so the rod had been pulled forward in the neck. Luckily I had remembered reading this article several months before and knew how to fix it.

I am hoping for your sake that your truss rod has not pulled forward yet because if it is has, it's possible there is a hump now in your neck. The fix for that is to pull the frets and replane and re-radius the fretboard and then refret it. Luckily, I have not had to do that...yet. I used a brass punch to knock mine back and one half moon washer was enough for mine, but I bought 2 just in case. My Aria had a 6mm diameter truss rod. I just bought the Gibson washers and drilled the center hole to fit the Aria. I did also buy it a new truss rod nut, but I had to source that from Montreaux in Japan as there were no US sellers carrying it.

At this time my guitar is staying stable and playing cleanly with very low action after the truss rod repair and a fret level. I've been hanging onto it be sure though. But, it has gone through some wild temp and humidity swings since August and I play it at least twice a week to check on it.

Latest Threads