Strymon Mobius, what can it do?

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I've just bought a Mobius on ebay for a price I couldn't pass up. I watched 2 minutes of youtube demo before the purchase but had to act fast as there were a lot of watchers looking / listed and the sale had only a short time to go before ending.

So can someone tell me what I just bought?:laugh2:
I noticed it has a trem, vibe, some sort of funky auto wah or envelope filter.

Can you switch multiple effects on at the same time?
My plan is to replace a few pedals on my board and recoup some or all of the purchase price and I want to free up some room for a reverb pedal I need to add.

Help appreciated.:thumb:

Batman

Reaction score
It can only play one effect at a time but the effects are hugely tweakable and there are 198 preset slots (99 banks of two presets). It also a pre/post outputs so you can route each effect either pre or post gain.

It has chorus, phaser, flanger, tremolo, univibe, rotary, filter, auto swell, quadrature, bit destroyer and forment.

It has replaced all but my BF2 Flanger.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've just been watching this demo on the strymon site. Mind blown at some of the sounds I'm hearing. The 70's clock radio vinyl sounds cool. The quad thing sounds like it would be great for Floyd stuff.:thumb: It's a shame it's only one effect at a time though.

I have a bf2 on my board atm. So you prefer the boss? How do you route it? Do the in out jacks work in conjunction with the switches on the Mobius?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzWzpwGQOwM&feature=player_embedded"]Strymon Mobius - Rotary Machine audio demo - YouTube[/ame]

Batman

Reaction score
I could get really close to my favorite setting on the BF2 but never quite match it exactly with the Mobius. Also, the only way to get the swirling modulation at the start of She Sells Sanctuary is to run Flanger into Chorus and I love that tune so I needed to run both. . .BF2 stays on my board!

The pre/post is handled by the four in/out jacks on the back of the mobius and then you choose your routing in each pre-set from the menu's.

My board is wired

Tuner --> Mobius Pre In --> Mobius Pre Out --> OD --> Distortion --> Flanger --> Mobius Post In --> Mobius post out --> Delay --> Reverb

I tend to run Phaser and Univibe pre and the rest post. . .

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Cheers, can't mess with The Cult.:thumb::cool: That arrangement sounds like the go for me too. oc2 before dirt though on my board. Thanks for the help, looks like I've got some head to head testing to do when the Mobius arrives. I read 9v power supply, the pedal I just bought has a power supply included but can I run it on my supa charger power supply or does it prefer the included supply?

Batman

Reaction score
Its power thirsty (350-400mA) but works fine on isolated power. I run my entire board on a Voodoo Labs Digital Power (4 - 400mA isolated outs) One supply for each of my Strymons and one daisy chained for the tuner, flanger and dirt pedals. Dead quiet setup.

The Cult rulez! :D

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Cool. I wore out the first 3 or 4 Cult albums back in the day. I think it's time to give them another listen.:thumbs:

Thanks again.:cheers:

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Prymaxe has some good demo's of it. They have me wanting one, along with the Timline.

Strymon Mobius Modulator - Prymaxe Vintage

He's getting some sweet sounds happening in the first video.:thumb:

The more I see of it the more i'm hanging out to get playing with it.
The guy I scored one from on ebay lives in the same town as me. I should have messaged him and said I'd pick it up. The wait will drive me crazy if it takes more than a day or so. He probably lives down the street.:doh:

Batman

Reaction score
He's getting some sweet sounds happening in the first video.:thumb:

The more I see of it the more i'm hanging out to get playing with it.
The guy I scored one from on ebay lives in the same town as me. I should have messaged him and said I'd pick it up. The wait will drive me crazy if it takes more than a day or so. He probably lives down the street.:doh:

Mike Hermans is legend!

Good luck with the wait man. . .it'll be forgotten 5 minutes after it arrives.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Mike Hermans is legend!

Good luck with the wait man. . .it'll be forgotten 5 minutes after it arrives.

Thanks, my guess is it will be here in time for the weekend.:fingersx:

Yeah I like Mike's demos. He is quick to reply to comments and I dig the loops/ improv he comes up with. I haven't seen a lot of them but he coaxed a mini fuzz face out of me a while back after watching his demo of it.:thumb:

Phil W

Reaction score
This might sound rather indulgent but I have two of them. I thought the first one was failing so I bought another but it turned out to be a power cable problem. If the Type switch ever stops working (push click) check the power! I use one Mobius on my pedalboard in mono and the other as a stereo input to my PC based Propellerhead Reason 7. I would urge you to try the Mobius in stereo because that is by far its natural environment.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
This might sound rather indulgent but I have two of them. I thought the first one was failing so I bought another but it turned out to be a power cable problem. If the Type switch ever stops working (push click) check the power! I use one Mobius on my pedalboard in mono and the other as a stereo input to my PC based Propellerhead Reason 7. I would urge you to try the Mobius in stereo because that is by far its natural environment.

Thanks i'll keep that in mind if I have any problems with it. I will look into running it in stereo for home use, I imagine the vibe and trem would sound sweet in stereo.:drool:

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Been considering trading in the ETide for one of these, HNPD!!!

Thanks man,

I was looking for a flint but came across the Mobius for a cheaper price. The larger multi function pedals usually scare me but being winter I'm down for spending some time getting to know how to use it.:thumb:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Cool, yeah I have 2x tweak pedals, delay and swirls...after a year or so things usually work out for the best, Strymon is a win almost always so imagine after 2-3 years of getting to know one another \m/ Take your time and write down settings/tips for yourself as you noodle, its easy to run past a bunch of usable tones with excitement holding the wheel, still gets me ;)

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Cool, yeah I have 2x tweak pedals, delay and swirls...after a year or so things usually work out for the best, Strymon is a win almost always so imagine after 2-3 years of getting to know one another \m/ Take your time and write down settings/tips for yourself as you noodle, its easy to run past a bunch of usable tones with excitement holding the wheel, still gets me ;)

I'll be tweaking to find replacements for the pedals i currently use first. All song based so it should keep me focused enough to stick with it. Yeah will def take your advice and write the settings down and keep track of all the saved ones. That's the part i usually fail at which leads to me moving back to simple 1 function pedals that are quick and easy.

Latest Threads