Strings discussion not found so...

DavGrape

Night of the Lepus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them Pyramid's packaging. ↑
Bought some Rev Willy's 7's just for the box, really.
You can bend them way off the neck.

Those Nogal carbon steel look like 80 bucks a set, so that's out.

DavGrape

Night of the Lepus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon had them....
Untitled.jpg

Got a 12au7 in my cart, with a bottle of ink.
10 for the ink, 20 for the tube.
Tube should be 10, DERP.

Those 7's, tho; you will not like.
They're fun, and you can hammer on them tirelessly for an hour; but I was squeezing them out of tune; lifetime of heavy-handedness.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
@tilen777jurca
How’s your string discussion thread looking now?
:wave:

What part of the world are you from?

Knoby

Reaction score
Is this carbon steel harder than the steel in regular strings?

If that is true, they will wear out the frets quicker.

Knoby

Reaction score
That’s a misnomer.
Pretty much all steel is simply carbon added to iron ore.

Carbon steel is also called mild steel.
So, it’s generic steel without special or expensive alloys added.
Interesting. Sooooo..... What are these? Regular steel strings, rebranded for a premium price?

Leee

Reaction score
Oh, I dunno.
I’m certainly no expert on string manufacturing.

But I stay away from products I don’t trust.
Strings are cheap.
Even good ones.

Why take a chance?

You’re talking about the strings in the OP, right?
Never seen ’em.

No telling what super alloys they claim to use, or their unique process, or superior packaging.

Lotsa snake oil out there.

Last edited:

Leee

Reaction score
Hey - the new guy said he couldn’t find one.
So come on, humor him, eh?

Whatcha got?

:rofl:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 7's, tho; you will not like.
They're fun, and you can hammer on them tirelessly for an hour; but I was squeezing them out of tune; lifetime of heavy-handedness.
Yep.
And I seriously doubt that BG uses them.
The whole "conversation" with BB King came out right about the time Dunlop started marketing these.
I have no doubt that the conversation took place, but as typical with BG (and EVH, and others) it seems the facts were stretched a bit.
BG was running 13s at the time... as was popular with the SRV fan crowd.
Mr King used 10s, not 9s or 8s.

So Mr King may indeed have asked BG why he was working so hard, but it wasn't because BG was running 10s, and he was not encouraging him to go to 8s (or lighter)

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... You run out of new things to talk about eventually. Just ask my wife. Or Ringo Starr, for that matter.
Funny you mention Ringo, as he has been on my mind lately. Ringo is coming to my neighborhood. I had to really think about whether I wanted to go see him with his All-Starr band. Most notably, he currently has Edgar Winter (who I really would LOVE to see), Colin Hay from Men At Work (who I would I like to see), Steve Lukather (who I think is - sorry - talented but wayyyy over-rated), and Greg Bisonette (who is a killer drummer that I saw back in the day with DLR w/ S Vai and B Sheehan; wow, what a band that was!). If brother-in-law Joe Walsh were there, I would buy tickets in a second. I finally decided to pass ... probably a big mistake on my part not seeing Edgar Winter, though.

4a53bd8d5590f0857dece10af095750f4f-04-ringo-star-joe-walsh-2016.2x.w710.jpg

Brazilnut

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention Ringo, as he has been on my mind lately. Ringo is coming to my neighborhood. I had to really think about whether I wanted to go see him with his All-Starr band. Most notably, he currently has Edgar Winter (who I really would LOVE to see), Colin Hay from Men At Work (who I would I like to see), Steve Lukather (who I think is - sorry - talented but wayyyy over-rated), and Greg Bisonette (who is a killer drummer that I saw back in the day with DLR w/ S Vai and B Sheehan; wow, what a band that was!). If brother-in-law Joe Walsh were there, I would buy tickets in a second. I finally decided to pass ... probably a big mistake on my part not seeing Edgar Winter, though.

You and I do think alike. Edgar Winter is one talented musician. And I am not totally enamored of Lukather, either. Although if the lead part is not too long, I love his fast runs and note choices. But like most great rock and pop guitarists, if you give him too much time, he will try to cram in every hook he knows.
As for Joe Walsh...well, who DOESN'T love that guy!

Last edited:

1allspub

Reaction score
Gibson Vintage Reissues 10-46
D’Addario NYXL 10-46
GHS Boomers 10-46
Ernie Ball 10-46

Pretty much in that order. I’ve tried the hybrid 9-46s as well and really liked them. When I am through my current supply of 10-46s (have several packs so it’ll be a while) I might give the 9-46s a try again.

mjross

Reaction score

Luke is OK by me, one of my favorites! I‘ve seen him many many times and going to see him again in April (Toto and Journey). Not everyone digs Luke and I get that, lot of who people think are great guitarist that I don’t get. To each there own, Rock on Sir!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Luke is OK by me, one of my favorites! I‘ve seen him many many times and going to see him again in April (Toto and Journey). Not everyone digs Luke and I get that, lot of who people think are great guitarist that I don’t get. To each there own ...
Yeah, it is all good. My brother is a HUGE Toto/Luke and Journey fan, too -- while I am definitely not. He (my brother, not Luke) plays a '20 Les Paul Classic. Now THAT we agree on. (LOL)

XIZqdyq.jpg

mjross

Reaction score
Yeah, it is all good. My brother is a HUGE Toto/Luke and Journey fan, too -- while I am definitely not. He (my brother, not Luke) plays a '20 Les Paul Classic. Now THAT we agree on. (LOL)

XIZqdyq.jpg
Yap, play what you like!

Latest Threads