Strings and pole pieces dont line up

stevoe

Reaction score
26995071_10157393428764466_2056063307_n.jpg
26913753_10157393415864466_600326406_n.jpg
I just got a 2004 LP Studio. Sounds and plays really nice. Never got into les Paul until I tried a Gibson... tried Tokais, epi's etc... this one has all the plinkyness on the cleans that you could ask for.

one thing is the line up of the strings and pole pieces.... pics below. does it look like the bridge has been changes maybe to accommodate someones personal specs or taste or is this quite common

Thanks

steve

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Unless it bothers you, the string looks like it’s in the magnetic zone. If you’re hearing it, it’s being picked up.

stevoe

Reaction score
it sounds fine, but would like to know if this looks normal, or are there replacement tune o matics with wider spacing that would line up the strings

lunchbox

Reaction score
That doesn't look right at all.

One thing about the 490/498 combo is that the pole spacing is different for each to accommodate for the strings tapering as they go down towards the neck. Are those stock pups?

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Your strings are not evenly spaced.
The high E is the worst.
It's either out of the slot in the saddle or you need a new slot.
I hear Gibson puts the strings on and gives them a rap with a hammer (really!). I prefer a small, fine 3-corner file and clean it up with emery paper.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like the spacing of the strings is a little off,.....the saddles are wide enough to make adjustments as needed. The B string and E string look to be too close toward the G string. you seem to have enough room to move them over to the edge of the board. Try that before making any notches until it plays right, not pulling off the board.

stevoe

Reaction score
That doesn't look right at all.

One thing about the 490/498 combo is that the pole spacing is different for each to accommodate for the strings tapering as they go down towards the neck. Are those stock pups?
Hey, I'm not sure if they are stock. or if anything is stock.

would you think I need a new bridge with different spacing

ACEit

Reaction score
it seems that the bridge is shifited sideways towards bass side.
if you look to the alignment on the fretboard high e has more space to the rim vs low E.
Maybe it was done on purpose 'cause the string sometime slip outside the frets...
the slots on the saddles seems quite centered.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
26995071_10157393428764466_2056063307_n.jpg

line up the bridge post to the pick up ring screws on either side closest to the bridge. Anything look funky?

Consider the bridge is at an angle..........if the furthest bridge post was closer to the pickup ring it would really be wonky.

stevoe

Reaction score
View attachment 285703
line up the bridge post to the pick up ring screws on either side closest to the bridge. Anything look funky?

Consider the bridge is at an angle..........if the furthest bridge post was closer to the pickup ring it would really be wonky.
Not sure what you're getting at

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're getting at
The pic may be off though (angle) but to me the centerline of the bridge doesn't match the centerline of the pickup.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does look to me like the last owner liked really close string spacing...

I had a similar problem on my 82 with the bridge pickup, but the neck poles were still lined up, unlike yours...
You can see here both outer strings are in from edge of fret board, BUT

In this one you can see that the neck poles are still lined up, but the bridge poles are not. If you look close you can see how I have offset the notches from Low to High to even the strings out across the width of the neck.

All of my saddles were center cut, like yours. In the old days Gibson didn't make bridge spaced pickups (53mm) like they do now, so my setup was typical for the time.

I ended up changing my saddles because I preferred the Fender spacing and wanted a bit more room between strings and this really aggravated the volume problem.

I DID notice a volume dropoff on my bridge pickup as well as volume swells when I did upbends with the high E. It got louder as I went over the pole.

I fixed mine with a 53mm custom wind from Sigl pickups, but what I'm trying to say is that it is OK to get new saddles and notch them off center to fan the strings out more evenly, and that it is not unheard of in the realm of Les Pauls.

This is the 53mm custom wind with 2 strings to test pole alignment. You can see the offset notches here too.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
The pic may be off though (angle) but to me the centerline of the bridge doesn't match the centerline of the pickup.
It looks ok after a hard gander. Black on black is tough, but I looked straight up and down from the edges of the post wheels to the pup rings and they look to me to overhang the same on both sides....

stevoe

Reaction score
It does look to me like the last owner liked really close string spacing...

I had a similar problem on my 82 with the bridge pickup, but the neck poles were still lined up, unlike yours...
You can see here both outer strings are in from edge of fret board, BUT

In this one you can see that the neck poles are still lined up, but the bridge poles are not. If you look close you can see how I have offset the notches from Low to High to even the strings out across the width of the neck.

All of my saddles were center cut, like yours. In the old days Gibson didn't make bridge spaced pickups (53mm) like they do now, so my setup was typical for the time.

I ended up changing my saddles because I preferred the Fender spacing and wanted a bit more room between strings and this really aggravated the volume problem.

I DID notice a volume dropoff on my bridge pickup as well as volume swells when I did upbends with the high E. It got louder as I went over the pole.

I fixed mine with a 53mm custom wind from Sigl pickups, but what I'm trying to say is that it is OK to get new saddles and notch them off center to fan the strings out more evenly, and that it is not unheard of in the realm of Les Pauls.

This is the 53mm custom wind with 2 strings to test pole alignment. You can see the offset notches here too.
Thank you.... I will check into these things

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have had that on some of my guitars.
I wouldn't worry about that if the guitar feels and sounds good.
Just play it and when the time comes to have a new (bone) nut installed :)D),
put some new saddles (have them filed) at the same time and have the luthier align everything then.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks ok after a hard gander. Black on black is tough, but I looked straight up and down from the edges of the post wheels to the pup rings and they look to me to overhang the same on both sides....
I'm maybe not be as old as you:D, but my eyes are BAD, too much night driving.:cheers:

sk8rat

Reaction score
just get a new unnotched saddle and do it your self.

Latest Threads