String Treatments?

Scott A Novak

Reaction score
Many years ago i used a product called "Finger Ease" on my strings and liked the results. It made my guitars easier to play and I think there was less noise as I moved my fingers along a wound string. I think it was also supposed to keep the strings sounding good longer. But as all good thing come to an end, they changed the formula and I didn't like the new stuff at all. I haven't used anything on my strings since then.

Does anyone have any recommendations for or against string treatments and what do you like or dislike about them?

Scott Novak

morbidalex666

Reaction score
I've used the GHS fastfret for ages. But it went up in price and I don't like that.
I'll try the D'addario xlr8 next.
Also open to suggestions.

jm55

Reaction score
It's not a string cleaner or lubricant, but I've found Nomad's One guitar polish to work rather well on the neck and then I give the strings a quick wipe as well.

moreles

Reaction score
Maybe Finger-Ease got rid of the silicone that was reportedly at the root of funny things that seemed to happen with finishes via overspray.I had a can years ago and used it a few times but thought it felt strange. Slick, for sure, but not particularly good feeling. I don't use any of these products because I don't like anything building up on my strings. But even more important, to me, is that I like a little grab from my strings -- I don't need for them to be slicker or faster. I have developed a lighter touch over the years, less through a need to finger or change positions faster, but more through a super need to reduce the death-grip of my hand, thumb particularly, on the back of the neck.

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
I've used the GHS fastfret for ages. But it went up in price and I don't like that.
I'll try the D'addario xlr8 next.
Also open to suggestions.

I've used mineral oil or fret board oil using two older GHS fast fret applicators. I just soak the oil in it and use it. If you look up fast fret ingredients it is mostly mineral oil.

I started lubing the strings after reading decades ago that Eric Clapton used to use chicken fat.

Scott A Novak

Reaction score
I started lubing the strings after reading decades ago that Eric Clapton used to use chicken fat.
EEEEEUUUUUWWWWW!!! I don't need a "FAT" sound that badly. I am NOT using chicken fat to lube my strings, NO WAY, NO HOW!

In terms of viscosity, mineral oils run the gamut from liquid oil to paraffin wax.

FYI, paraffin wax was shown to reduce bicycle chain friction more than any other lubricant, be it petroleum based or synthetic. While paraffin wax might be less messy than mineral oil, I suspect it may damp the strings more.

Scott Novak

Moni

Banned
Reaction score
EEEEEUUUUUWWWWW!!! I don't need a "FAT" sound that badly. I am NOT using chicken fat to lube my strings, NO WAY, NO HOW!

In terms of viscosity, mineral oils run the gamut from liquid oil to paraffin wax.

FYI, paraffin wax was shown to reduce bicycle chain friction more than any other lubricant, be it petroleum based or synthetic. While paraffin wax might be less messy than mineral oil, I suspect it may damp the strings more.

Scott Novak
The basic ingredient in Fast Fret is 'White Mineral Oil'

81U3Un9aeaL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: ehb

Pappy58

Reaction score
The product I use is 10% Lemon Oil... Pure Lemon is probably fairly sticky..
:dunno:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not want actual lemon oil on my guitars.... do some reading if curious...

That being said, lemon oil is usually 100% free of lemon oil.... Mineral oil with a scent.
If one 'were; to read the actual fed mandated data sheets that must be accurate by law, it might dawn on one that about every guitar lemon oil is mineral oil with a scent....rare to actually find one with real lemon oil.....extremely rare...

Some labels don't even list ingredients....but the data sheet meets all the 'shall, will, and must' shit' from the Pharoah Gummit... Mineral Oil....

Wally World
Constipation section
Equate Food Grade (pure) Mineral Oil
16oz
under two bucks.... more than you'll use in a lifetime on guitars....

I have an original FastFret metal can and occasionally drip a few drops in the bottom and stick the applicator back in there and lid it... Applicator soaks up the oil and viola, new FastFret... If you just gotta have lemon oil, pop a lemonhead in yo mouth while using mineral oil....

At the shop, I have a section of handkerchief dosed with a few drops of mineral oil and wadded up several times to spread.... rarely needs recharging.... Like BrylCreem....a little dab'l do ya....

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Meh. I just change strings frequently. But if I wanted something like this, I'd use a bit of lemon (100% mineral) oil and a rag to wipe along the strings.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
North, next time you put on new strings, get a ziplock bag, cut a section of handkerchief (preferably clean) about the size of a pack of smokes, drip a few drops of mineral oil, wad and roll to spread, and wipe down the new strings....

Store the little rag in bag and in case pocket, use before and after... strings will last a good bit longer...

Makes it hard for finger kank to stick to bares and hard to clog up winding space to deaden wounds....

dmac in SC

Reaction score
Or you could just use Finger Ease spray..I do..it's great for cleaning the strings as well as as making playing easier and quieter..and it leaves no noticeable residue or odor if you wipe down after applying

Scott A Novak

Reaction score
Or you could just use Finger Ease spray..I do..it's great for cleaning the strings as well as as making playing easier and quieter..and it leaves no noticeable residue or odor if you wipe down after applying
Which was the product that I used until they changed the formula over 40 years ago. I didn't like the new formulation at all.

Scott Novak

jim777

Reaction score
Popcorn, crayons, and FingerEase are three smells I'll be able to pick out when I'm way past a little senile lol. But I stopped using it as well when i kept reading the silicone could get absorbed into fretboards to the point where you couldn't refret the guitar anymore. I've never replaced it but would also be open to suggestions.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
Let's face it guys (Jim and Scott), and to a MUCH lesser extent myself, life expectancy for us is not a big enough number that multiple re-frets should be a worry:eek2:

And as I recall, the reformulation was done in response to the the pending ice age coming from the 'Ozone Hole'. The aerosol product was eliminated entirely and replaced with something that looked like a stick of under arm deodorant. That's when I quit using the stuff.

But feel free to smear chicken fat on your R9 if you want