String through VS. Top load telecasters.

zowenso

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to replace the current hardware on my 1996 Mexican tele from chrome to nickel. I replaced the stock top load bridge about 12 years ago and had the back drilled and it’s now string through. I’m having a really hard time figureing out what bridges will fit and match the string holes in my guitar. I have a modern style bridge, but wanted to go vintage style. So my question is, if i can’t find a bridge that matches the strings holes and I went back to a top load bridge, is the sound that much different than string through? Thanks.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
I have a Glendale bridge that can be strung either way, and it's noticeably twangier when top-loaded.

20170214_105749.jpg

zowenso

Reaction score
Hmm, ok that’s good to know. That will be a noticeably different sound than I’m used to then. I don’t think I’ll be able to find a vintage style bridge that matches up for me, so sounds like my options are either abort the string through commit to twangy and do a top loader or keep what I have. Thanks.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have no idea what this implies but since it's a MIM and you're modding it anyway,
if you have to, plug the current holes and drill new ones for a
Vintage Reissue type bridge with three brass saddles.

Rock will ensue.
:D

zowenso

Reaction score
Yeah that’s an option I didn’t think of. Thanks.

JuSteve

Reaction score
The "String Through" Mexican Tele's have identical drill holes for standard or Vintage style bridge. I honestly have never had any hands on, as to top loaders.

You may have one of the odd ball models that have a US, Corona body & neck. I have a 1995 Strat with Corona woods & Mexican/Asia hardware, and it's labeled MIM.

(& I hate to say....."It still in the plastic.")

Last edited:

zowenso

Reaction score
I actually had it drilled for a string through bridge. It came as a top loader, so I’m Not sure the holes would match up with other bridges.

bum

Reaction score
I have a babicz full contact telecaster bridge and it does both top loading and through body and also has both 3 and 4 screw holes on it so it fits anything, it's also one of the best engineered bits of kit I have ever bought, I highly recommend them!

http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-tele-bridge

123180_3600x2698_2500.jpg

The way they works brilliant, you have no little allen key operated screws, they work on a cam system, you adjust the cam and as it turns it revolves, raising the string. Very impressed with mine :)