String stiffness (or lack there of) on 2022 Custom Shop Custom

Reaction score
The main question is: why is it playing so slinky and buzzy? Is this normal for current customs? My most recent Gibson LPC before this is from 2001.

So I just received (5 days ago) a brand spanking new 2022 Custom Shop Custom in ebony and the strings are so slinky that they buzz up and down the neck. I play with 10s on my LPs and they play with a stiffer feel while being setup to factory spec with action and relief and tail piece set down as far as it goes just before the break angle makes contact with the bridge. Is this normal for current models to be so slinky? I’m still within my return window, so I’m back and forth on it. I also don’t want to pay for someone else to set it up at this time after spending $5k.

A couple of other things I can’t figure out if I want to live or accept…significant gap between binding and neck finish, bad scrape job on binding up near 16th fret on low e side, finish check where neck meets binding.
Gibson's are FANTASTIC guitars (as you already know) but I would never buy one online. I've always purchased Gibson's in person so I can inspect it, play it, and vibe with it. I don't understand the allure of buying a high dollar instrument, that may have the potential of issues without handling it first in person.

If I were you I would send it back and wait till your local shop(s) come up with something you fall in love with. Look at it this way, If those issues are enough to make you type them out on a forum, then you may never get over it at which point you're just settling.

mdunder08

Reaction score
Gibson's are FANTASTIC guitars (as you already know) but I would never buy one online. I've always purchased Gibson's in person so I can inspect it, play it, and vibe with it. I don't understand the allure of buying a high dollar instrument, that may have the potential of issues without handling it first in person.

If I were you I would send it back and wait till your local shop(s) come up with something you fall in love with. Look at it this way, If those issues are enough to make you type them out on a forum, then you may never get over it at which point you're just settling.
That’s very true about settling. I’m probably leaning towards sending this back unless they give me a significant discount back. You can’t find this guitar locally unfortunately, nobody has it. Sam ash used to and once in a blue moon GC would have one wall hanger up on the ceiling, but right now nobody has an ebony LPC surprisingly.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
Thanks for this, it’s is a good one from Joe despite him moving to PRS! I must have seen this one about ten times haha. The thing is if I just raise that bridge up, the strings will be in outer space by the time the buzz goes away, but you are right they do get a bit more firm.
God so simple and so good

mdunder08

Reaction score
At What fret and on which string does the buzz begin?
And does it go away anywhere above or below the offending ”section”?

-chris
So it buzzes up and down the b string and then up around the 7th and 8th it gets worse. And I’m just realizing now: did Gibson change fret wire? These frets feel considerably lower than my ‘01, maybe that is what is causing the squishy feel. It reminds me of my buddy’s’79 silverburst where the frets are shot.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it buzzes up and down the b string and then up around the 7th and 8th it gets worse. And I’m just realizing now: did Gibson change fret wire? These frets feel considerably lower than my ‘01, maybe that is what is causing the squishy feel. It reminds me of my buddy’s’79 silverburst where the frets are shot.

Can you bend out of the buzz?

mdunder08

Reaction score
Can you bend out of the buzz?
Sort of, it doesn’t die off right away like a complete fret out, but when you are playing all of a sudden it’s noticeably softer than the other strings and then when you single it out, you notice it being extra buzzy. And then when you look at the nut, it looks lower than the other strings. I’m also wondering if all new models have these shorter frets? My ‘01s and ‘06 seem to have much taller frets. This guitar reminds me of what I imagine a fretless wonder to be.
9143D5B6-C0B4-41E9-9905-24E59A5704D6.jpeg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do u have any nuts lying around to swap and see if that fixes it?

irocdave12

Reaction score
Having owned several of the more modern made Customs I don’t see anything in the cosmetic condition that is different than all the rest. The main thing I see a lot is a ridge where they scrapped the binding and the paint on the neck is so thick it leaves a unpleasant feeling ridge. If you don’t have that I’d keep it because good chance the next one might. Some have them some don’t. Secondly I would not judge the slinkyness of the feel until you have tried some new strings. A set Diaddiaros will likely make it feel like your other guitars. I think a few minor set up tweaks and you can get it dialed in better to your liking. If you think the nut slots are too deep you can always temporarily shim the strings with a bit of business card under the string to confirm those things if your not comfortable with and knowing the correct measurements at the first fret Along with neck relief etc. If you take it to a Gibson certified warranty center Gibson will likely reimburse you for the costs of the set up getting fixed for you. I;ve done that same thing a few times with a few of my guitars

Last edited:

mdunder08

Reaction score
Do u have any nuts lying around to swap and see if that fixes it?
I don’t have any spare nuts, but that’s one aspect I’m not comfortable messing with. I’ve watched Dan Erlewine videos about how to do it and I don’t believe me trying to get that right first try on a $5k LP is a good move for me. I’m comfortable with the usual adjustments, truss rod, action, bridge…but not nuts or fret leveling.

mdunder08

Reaction score
Having owned several of the more modern made Customs I don’t see anything in the cosmetic condition that is different than all the rest. The main thing I see a lot is a ridue where they scrapped the binding and the paint on the neck is so thick it leaves a unpleasant feeling ridge. If you don’t have that I’d keep it because good chance the next one might. Some have them some don’t. Secondly I would not judge the slinkyness of the feel until you have tried some new strings. A set Diaddiaros will likely make it feel like your other guitars.
so I did put a fresh set of daddarrio, same I use on all of my other guitars, but it’s the exact same. What I’m realizing is that I am feeling A LOT of the fretboard on my fingers and this doesn’t happen with my others. I called Gibson and asked if they are using smaller fret wire compared to my ‘01 and the guy told me no! I was surprised because I found a topic about people complain about low frets/smaller feet wire compared to pre-2019 and that is making sense based on how much wood I feel when I play….however the Gibson rep said this is not the case! It’s so squishy that my thought is “this guitar needs new frets”…similar to my friends ‘79 silverburst with low, totally shot frets.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I did put a fresh set of daddarrio, same I use on all of my other guitars, but it’s the exact same. What I’m realizing is that I am feeling A LOT of the fretboard on my fingers and this doesn’t happen with my others. I called Gibson and asked if they are using smaller fret wire compared to my ‘01 and the guy told me no! I was surprised because I found a topic about people complain about low frets/smaller feet wire compared to pre-2019 and that is making sense based on how much wood I feel when I play….however the Gibson rep said this is not the case! It’s so squishy that my thought is “this guitar needs new frets”…similar to my friends ‘79 silverburst with low, totally shot frets.

Hmm…I don’t know how u get over not liking the frets…

funny enough, my latest custom (2017) has the cryo treated gold frets and they feel high…
wish I could feel yours…

is there a guitar center or somewhere near u where u could take yours in and compare it(by playing) any custom they have from the last 3-5 years?

im very curious ur feel on the other customs

-chris

mdunder08

Reaction score
Hmm…I don’t know how u get over not liking the frets…

funny enough, my latest custom (2017) has the cryo treated gold frets and they feel high…
wish I could feel yours…

is there a guitar center or somewhere near u where u could take yours in and compare it(by playing) any custom they have from the last 3-5 years?

im very curious ur feel on the other customs

-chris
The last new LP Custom I was able to play in a store was Sam Ash NYC way back in 2011 and man, it was a great guitar! I wish I could have walked out with that one, I still
Think about it all these years later. Nobody has LPC in stock at the moment otherwise I would have tried to go for it.

So picture this LP in your hands, the strings are super spongy and you can feel a LOT of ebony on your fingertips and none of your other guitars do this LP or not. The best way I could describe it is if you tuned your guitar way down to C with .10 and dropped your action low so you can feel a lot of wood…that’s how this guitar feels except it’s tuned to pitch and I’ve got the action set to factory spec. I took all of the relief out of the neck and sank the bridge to the body…it’s very weird. It’s like the opposite of having one that’s way too stiff and hurts your hand.

So zzounds took 4.5 days to respond to my request and told me that they do not discount guitars for issues with the frets or nut, only cosmetic defects and they would rather I just return it. Interesting. I’ll do just that. None of my other guitars play like this and I refuse to believe it’s a simple setup issue at this point. Unfortunately, you can’t get this guitar anywhere right now. Not even Gibson.com has it and they can’t say when there will be more. Sweetwater is dry until July and zzounds has no idea when they would get more. That leaves you with random stuff off reverb where if this situation happened, you’re stuck to get rid of it. Who thought an ebony LPC would be so hard to get…doesn’t everyone have one of these?!

The last thing that kind of sucks is the ridge you feel between binding and black…my alpine white LPC has it a bit, but not like this… the feeler gauge probably shows it best, .006 and my pick is a 1.0mm Dunlop…quite a gap. I could get past that if it didn’t play so weirdly.

Attachments

• 7E1E1A5A-9225-4CB1-BCE4-B5CC121989EC.jpeg
    7E1E1A5A-9225-4CB1-BCE4-B5CC121989EC.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 003483C3-7AAD-4FA2-A3DA-F6583AE18AC0.jpeg
    003483C3-7AAD-4FA2-A3DA-F6583AE18AC0.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16

irocdave12

Reaction score
I don’t quite understand how the fret size could impact the slinkyness. To me when someone says slinkyness I think of how much effort it takes to bend a string up a full step. For example I can feel a distinct difference between Ernie balls vs diaddiaros even though both are 10’s. And I think I agree with the rep. Unless its a custom shop reissue I would expect it to have the same frets as the USA made standards and studios. Sorry but I can‘t think of what else to offer as far as advice

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last new LP Custom I was able to play in a store was Sam Ash NYC way back in 2011 and man, it was a great guitar! I wish I could have walked out with that one, I still
Think about it all these years later. Nobody has LPC in stock at the moment otherwise I would have tried to go for it.

So picture this LP in your hands, the strings are super spongy and you can feel a LOT of ebony on your fingertips and none of your other guitars do this LP or not. The best way I could describe it is if you tuned your guitar way down to C with .10 and dropped your action low so you can feel a lot of wood…that’s how this guitar feels except it’s tuned to pitch and I’ve got the action set to factory spec. I took all of the relief out of the neck and sank the bridge to the body…it’s very weird. It’s like the opposite of having one that’s way too stiff and hurts your hand.

So zzounds took 4.5 days to respond to my request and told me that they do not discount guitars for issues with the frets or nut, only cosmetic defects and they would rather I just return it. Interesting. I’ll do just that. None of my other guitars play like this and I refuse to believe it’s a simple setup issue at this point. Unfortunately, you can’t get this guitar anywhere right now. Not even Gibson.com has it and they can’t say when there will be more. Sweetwater is dry until July and zzounds has no idea when they would get more. That leaves you with random stuff off reverb where if this situation happened, you’re stuck to get rid of it. Who thought an ebony LPC would be so hard to get…doesn’t everyone have one of these?!

The last thing that kind of sucks is the ridge you feel between binding and black…my alpine white LPC has it a bit, but not like this… the feeler gauge probably shows it best, .006 and my pick is a 1.0mm Dunlop…quite a gap. I could get past that if it didn’t play so weirdly.

it’s a return…I have never held a custom that felt like that
fit and finish is next level on a custom too…especially the multi ply binding..

send it back and get a free tuner clip and/or Gibson vintage re-issue or les Paul premium strings…
they are the only strings I’ve ever used on lesters

But get something free for your trouble…u have tried and tried to make this work…

-chris

11302430-3B0F-419A-8AAE-6468285A150B.jpeg
2103F38B-9A18-46FD-BC06-E02AA540879A.jpeg

mdunder08

Reaction score
I don’t understand it either unfortunately which is why I’m going to be returning it. Something is definitely off and doesn’t appear a regular setup would fix it. I feel way too much ebony below my fingers for this to be normal. So what I am wondering is if all new ones are going to play like this or this is just a weird one that. I think of slinky as how easy it is to both bend and press down. Like I’ve mentioned above, the last guitar where I’ve felt this is on my friends ‘79 silverburst that does need a fret job.

mdunder08

Reaction score
it’s a return…I have never held a custom that felt like that
fit and finish is next level on a custom too…especially the multi ply binding..

send it back and get a free tuner clip and/or Gibson vintage re-issue or les Paul premium strings…
they are the only strings I’ve ever used on lesters

But get something free for your trouble…u have tried and tried to make this work…

-chris

View attachment 597238 View attachment 597239
I haven’t tried these strings in probably 15 years! Maybe I should try them again. I used Ernie’s from the early 2000s until about 2014 and changed to Dad’s exl110 after getting a guitar back from a fret level and liked it better than the Ernie’s I had been using for so long. It would be nice to get something out of them since this kind of blew, I still need them
To make sure they give me every penny back from my $5k. Scary to put that in the mail! I have to say though, I am unimpressed that it took me about 4 tries to get a response back about this bs and the response was they don’t discount it anyway so I’m not even going to waste my time bringing it to guitar center and having them look at it. What if that person puts a ding in it, now I’m responsible for that etc…it’s really disappointing. I knew within the first 30 seconds this guitar was probably going to end up going back. I just wanted to believe there was some magical stupid thing I’m not seeing, but there isn’t.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Picture #3 is especially bad IMO. I wouldn’t be keeping that one. Plenty out there that will sound and feel great, and not have those problems.

mdunder08

Reaction score
Picture #3 is especially bad IMO. I wouldn’t be keeping that one. Plenty out there that will sound and feel great, and not have those problems.
I agree, I took a closer look at it again and it looks like they gouged the binding really hard and then melted a strip of it back on to cover the horrible mistake. I’m sending this back probably on Friday since it’s going to rain all day tomorrow and I don’t want this box getting the slightest bit wet. What a pain. I really wanted to own a brand new LPC where every mark on it is mine and has all the paperwork. My ‘01 was second hand and of course came with absolutely nothing etc…while most dings are mine…not all of them being that it was 8 years old when I picked it up.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t tried these strings in probably 15 years! Maybe I should try them again. I used Ernie’s from the early 2000s until about 2014 and changed to Dad’s exl110 after getting a guitar back from a fret level and liked it better than the Ernie’s I had been using for so long. It would be nice to get something out of them since this kind of blew, I still need them
To make sure they give me every penny back from my $5k. Scary to put that in the mail! I have to say though, I am unimpressed that it took me about 4 tries to get a response back about this bs and the response was they don’t discount it anyway so I’m not even going to waste my time bringing it to guitar center and having them look at it. What if that person puts a ding in it, now I’m responsible for that etc…it’s really disappointing. I knew within the first 30 seconds this guitar was probably going to end up going back. I just wanted to believe there was some magical stupid thing I’m not seeing, but there isn’t.

they will give it back.
zzsounds once charged me $4k for a nashville 3 pup when I didn’t buy it from them…
i had reserved it and they sold it to someone else…then got another and charged me and mailed it…
they were sort of hard to get a hold of but when I finally talked to them they were awesome…
be polite but firm and casually mention u have heard great things on my les Paul forum…
and how all the members speak so highly about them…

as for the strings, I’m kinda ocd….they are more expensive but I’ve always gotten strings that Gibson puts their name on…

I love them

u will get ur money back and if u didn’t keep the box, u can get one from any local store..they are usually happy to get rid of boxes…

let us know if u have any issues…

-chris

Latest Threads