String Height

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
How do you adjust the string height on a strat style bridge? My strings are very high off the fretboard and i was wondering how to adjust them down.

zontar

Reaction score
Each string saddle should have some sort of screw-and they can be adjusted to alter the height of each string individually.
You probably need a small Allen wrench/Hex wrench/other name for same tool to adjust it--but possibly a screwdriver.

MrRhoads

Reaction score
You can also adjust string height by working with the saddle up at the head and also you can adjust the truss-rod in the neck to alter the string height.

Good luck

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not messing with the truss rod... That's a last resort kinda thing.

Paragon

Reaction score
how high is the trem off the body? If that is too high.. I would lower that instead of messing with the saddles.

analogsystem

Reaction score
On a strat, often you need to shim the neck to get your action low all the way up the neck.

Is the action too high over the whole fretboard or just in one area?

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
Just to put in perspective how high the strings are; at the 17th fret they're nearly a 1/4 of an inch off the fretboard... o.o. I've adjusted the truss rod quite a but bit i can't get them down much. The screw thingy's on the saddles can be adjusted down but still not that much and then i have all the screws sticking up pretty far. Help lol

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
This is true. I'm just gonna take it to a pro to get it fixed. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong.

Paragon

Reaction score
Is this a partscaster or actual Fender? I cringed when I read you adjusted the truss rod "quite a bit"
If the base of the tremolo (breidge) is too far off the body, then no amount of adjustment elsewhere will lower the action.

First.. have you looked at the Fender setup instructions? Usually a good place to start.
http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php
Use a piece of guitar string for a feeler gauge if you need.

Sight down the neck to see if it is angled forward from the body. the half closest to the body should be a good place to sight down. If it is way forward (neck tilted up from teh body), then the neck needs to be shimmed and is what is causing the high action.

Get the trem adjusted (floating 1/8" or less or flat). Tune to pitch. Get the truss rod adjusted so there is a slight bit of relief or to taste.
Should be close to the action. Now adjust those saddle screws to get the action close to where you would like it. Tune to pitch.. check for fret buzz.. intonate.

overdriver

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not messing with the truss rod... That's a last resort kinda thing.
Good thing cause THATS NOT HOW YOU ADJUST THE STRING HEIGHT. Not an option! if you can't get the action set via the bridge saddles, and have the relief you need, ya gota shim the neck as said above , unless its got a micro tilt adjustment. Which does the same job as shimming. What Strat is it.

chromewhore2010

Reaction score
It's alright, the neck is straight i didn't bow it out at all. It's a "partscaster" but like i said i'm not going to do it. I'm going to have a pro do it. And what i mean by quite a bit is like 4 quarter turns then i saw the neck was perfectly straight and stopped. No need to go past that.

zontar

Reaction score
Good thing cause THATS NOT HOW YOU ADJUST THE STRING HEIGHT.
Can you send thta to the tech that set up my Iceman one time, and even though I told him I like the action where it was he lowered it considerably.

When I mentioned the action was too low he added relief!
I'll never take another guitar to that place as long as he's there.

and just a question; what is shimming a neck?
Shimming the neck is when you take the neck off, and then put it back on with thin strips of wood or other substance between the neck & the body--this can changes the angle of the neck to the body, and will also affect the height.

Paragon

Reaction score
and just a question; what is shimming a neck?
Please read through the link I posted before!
.:: Fender®.com ::.

It has everything explained there. Explains all adjustments that can be made and even gives a typical shim size. A lot of Fenders had shims from the factory (vintage) that were made from old business cards cut up.

If you want to learn more about setting up your own guitars.. then I suggest you go to the local Borders or other book store and see if that have This I saw one last week and looked through it. Intersting tips on setting up Strats. If you find it useful, buy it.

5F6-A

Reaction score
shimming necks always sounded wrong regarles who did it

Latest Threads