String gauge

ClarkyZeppelin

Reaction score
Heya!

As I'm buying my first R7 Black Beauty I would need to know how does their neck like/dislike heavy string gauges?
I'm used to and using 12-62 NYXL on my six strings (will add the tuning I'm using later when I get home) but I wouldn't want to ruin my new beauty. Is this way too heavy for the Les Paul or not really and I shouldn't overthink it? If it's bad for the guitar then what would be the highest safe gauges to use?

Would be glad to learn from your experiences.

Last edited:

Tobaccoburst83

Reaction score
Just adjust the trussrod and file the nut slots and bridge saddles to avoid intonation- and tuning issues.
You could even string it with 13s...

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I'd say if you're using standard pitch tuning you may need a slight adjustment on the truss rod, but if you're djenting, then probably no.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
12s will work just fine. I’ve been using 11s for years with no issues.

I was in a band that tuned to Eb and I switched to 12s for awhile to compensate. (Until I convinced them to tune to E, lol)

ClarkyZeppelin

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to let the custom shop set it all up but was just wondering if I should even put such heavy gauges on.

My tuning I use most:
C#/F#/B/E/Ab/C#

Thanks for the info!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yes, unless you don't have these special tools to set up the saddles and nut slots you should bring the guitar to a luthier nearby.
You will almost certainly need to widen at least the last few nut slots to fit a gauge that goes up to .062. As for stability, I think you'll be fine, especially if you're tuning down that far. Somebody (maybe TI?) had a nifty string tension calculator you could plug in gauges and pitches and see where you are -- I'm betting those strings will be fine at that pitch.

Latest Threads