String gauge question.

Hamtone

Reaction score
As I said before, I tried it, it beat the crap out of my frets. First 3 frets were beat to shit, in about 4 months. They couldve been soft, but I saw no benefit over 11's

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Does beefier mean more bass - ier ?
Not sure how to describe it. FULLER may be a better term than BEEFIER. I have an outdoor gig tonight and apparently we have MORE rain coming. If it cancels I may run to the music store and grab a set and just play around with em tonight.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
As I said before, I tried it, it beat the crap out of my frets. First 3 frets were beat to shit, in about 4 months. They couldve been soft, but I saw no benefit over 11's
I don't understand how the gauge can cause that?

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I always found that RWRP Strats were missing balls.
That's where your "problem" might be.
My '57RI and '62RI both have the "regular vintage pups" with no noise cancelling RWRP
connection and they got balls and tone "for days".
And they play like butter too.
But that's another thread...
:)
I don't know that I have ever had a strat that WASN'T... Mine has ssl1s in it right now.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have definitely noticed my acoustics suffer much faster from fret abuse and I chalk it up to the larger strings. So I'm not surprised to hear others say that.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I play 11s right now and want an even beefier tone. I also play an acoustic and can do all my blues bends on that with 12s...... I am contemplating trying a set of 13s with an unwound 3rd on the strat . Will I notice a big tone difference, and will I eat my hand up? I also play tuned to Eb.....
Nah you will just calluses quicker i like 10s myself- try until you find the gauge you prefer.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I don't understand how the gauge can cause that?
Think of it like this:
A wire brush would scratch, yes? A file would remove material, yes?

Thats the best analogy I can use. The stiffer strings have more and stiffer material against the fret metal.

I would also add, that you are gripping/pushing down harder on the strings than a lighter gauge string.

8-11 you're safe, moving up to 12-13's it takes its toll on you and the guitar.

Rene, even talked SRV out of 13-60's, for 11's to get the same attack and feel he liked.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Changing gauge will almost certainly alter your intonation and set up.
0.010's are the most I could handle.
Feels like more on accoustics though.
Everything I bought before the 90's is still strung up with 0.009's or 0.008's (the SAME .009's and .008's! lolol).

:)

Hamtone

Reaction score
After a week or 2 playing a couple hours a day, 12's on a strat was no big deal.

For balance now, I use 10's on my strat and 11's on LP, so it feels about the same.

Walt_T

Reaction score
I play Teles. My wife recently gave me a birthday present of EB extra slinkys 6 pack. I'm a light player, and I like them. No difference in tone at all. Takes a lighter touch when chording on the big fretted guitars. I think Billy Gibbons was playing 8s. No loss of tone there.

jvin248

Reaction score

Search youtube for "BB King Billy Gibbons Working Too Hard" -- BG was using 13s and BBK asked him why he was working so hard so since then BG went down to 7s on Fender and 8s on Gibson and gets his big tone from playing.