String gauge question.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I play 11s right now and want an even beefier tone. I also play an acoustic and can do all my blues bends on that with 12s...... I am contemplating trying a set of 13s with an unwound 3rd on the strat . Will I notice a big tone difference, and will I eat my hand up? I also play tuned to Eb.....

Hamtone

Reaction score
I did it with 12's on an old strat I had, and yes you can hit it harder BUT i would not say it added more tone. It also beat up my frets a bunch more.

I stick to 11's @ 440

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My brother used to play 13s on his strat. One thing I know.....you really need big frets so you can get some purchase when bending.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I always found that RWRP Strats were missing balls.
That's where your "problem" might be.
My '57RI and '62RI both have the "regular vintage pups" with no noise cancelling RWRP
connection and they got balls and tone "for days".
And they play like butter too.
But that's another thread...
:)

Hamtone

Reaction score
I always found that RWRP Strats were missing balls.
That's where your "problem" might be.
My '57RI and '62RI both have the "regular vintage pups" with no noise cancelling RWRP
connection and they got balls and tone "for days".
And they play like butter too.
But that's another thread...
SSL5 or FS1 bridge pickup. Theres a thread going in the pickup section about this right now.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
SSL5 or FS1 bridge pickup. Theres a thread going in the pickup section about this right now.
Not talking about pups specifically but the RWRP
"Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity" middle pickup configuration that, in my view, totally eats tone.
That might not be his problem though. Just bringing that possible issue into the mix.

Hamtone

Reaction score
"Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity" middle pickup configuration that, in my view, totally eats tone.
That might not be his problem though. Just bringing that possible issue into the mix.
If you have a fat enough bridge pup, you dont need to shift into second lol I have heard that the noise canceling can cancel out certain things, but ive never owned a strat without it.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
My brother used to play 13s on his strat. One thing I know.....you really need big frets so you can get some purchase when bending.
Never considered that.....dammit.
OK now.
It's Friday.
Can we take a moment before the weekend and establish if "string gauge" of "fret size" is more important for tone?
I would feel more relaxed knowing.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fan either.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
My fret size comment wasn't about tone, it was about ease of bending when using heavy strings.
But that must surely transfer to "Tone".
Otherwise, why bother?

:laugh2:

Just mocking the tone debates on a Friday.
Have a good weekend!

And yes! # fretsizematters!
And #radiusmatters!
I've experienced it with a friend's guitar.
7.5 radius Telecaster Deluxe flattened to 9.5 and frets changed from vintage type to medium jumbo on a maple neck.
What a drastic change. And seriously, the tone was much better. More bite. More "leverage" on the bends and much more
sustain above the 12th fret. That said, each spec brings something to the mix, the rest is personal choice to like or not.

stringbender11

Reaction score
I've always wondered if super heavy strings are harder on a guitar's neck from the extra tension, or is that a non-issue?

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered if super heavy strings are harder on a guitar's neck from the extra tension, or is that a non-issue?

I wondered the same thing, especially with some of the different truss rod materials

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Depends on the neck and the truss rod....slim necks have a harder time....but hey....it's wood, not sugar. Those things used to take all kinds of mother nature's abuse when they were trees.