String gauge---Does this settle it once and for all?

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I liked the .10's

the .9's and .8's sound ok but you can hear a string-clanking sound that I don't hear on the .11's or .10's

with the 10's and 11's I hear more of the actual notes and less of the strings making noise. On the 8's and 9's I definitely hear more string noise.

cjpeck

Reaction score
nope.
It's one guitar, played dirty.
That lester (and other lesters with similar pickups most likely) sound different with different gauge strings. The difference there can be gained the same way by twiddling a couple knobs on the amp.
Relax, you bastards, I said knobs ON THE AMP. now settle down.
Different guitars will react differently, P90's won't loose as much bottom end, and singles get thin sounding.

no where did they address how different gauges feel and play. They ain't the same fer sure.

The point they left out entirely is that 'better' is 100% subjective.
What's better to me may suck donkey balls in someone else's world.

redking

Reaction score
You are all using the wrong gauge of strings.

DADGAD

Reaction score
I just watched this video and then found this thread. Honestly if you had played all 4 versions to me I probably wouldn’t be able to tell if I wasn’t looking for it. It makes more sense how a lot of our greats played 8’s. As a mediocre player with the finesse of Johnny Ramone, 8’s would be destroyed. I bought A pack but have never tried them. Maybe it is time.

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because of my bad arthritis, I had to go to 8's.

I get a great tone without the pain and if I lose a little whatever with 8's, I make up for it by being able to play more comfortably and not have to fight the strings.

But different stroke for different folks and all...

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I always buy 10's for simplicity. D'Darrio's because I don't like thinking about stuff unnecessarily.
They're great on both the Strat and LP.
I'd think that if I changed string gauge, I might also need to tweak the pickups a little.

BKS

Reaction score
Restringing everything to 9's from now...except for flatwounds i keep them at 11's...okay one stays at 14's only exceptions.
Bending with those 9's is way more easy for me to get to pitch.... With 10's i just try to hard.... :laugh2:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lighter gauges also have the added benefit of you not getting punched in the mouth.
Heavy strings and 12 string guitars give me a better workout. More power. Giant veiny steroid looking fingers. Knuckles of DOOM. Do you even string bro? Come at me bro :D

Nahhhh, I use 10's on all 3 electrics and 11's or 12s on the acoustics.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me it's not so much the difference in feel (which is there ) as the sound.
And that's just among the 10's. I'm not in the market anymore for lighter gauges, I've been there and done that.

Now that I've settled on 10's what I am noticing is a difference in the sound of the different brands of strings.

I was playing D'Addirio just because , why not? No reason .... Then they started breaking at the ball end and I moved over to Ernie Ball with the secure ends.. Again, no other reason.

Then I tried the Gibson brite wires for the first time in my life and wow!

To me they have a twang and a sparkle that is very noticeable from the others.

I liken it to playing electric strings on an acoustic. You get used to it and then one day you put on the phosphor - bronze.

It's like... Oh! THAT'S what I've been missing!

YMMV....

:laugh2:

oicu812

Reaction score
And then there is the anomaly:

When it comes to the debate of "the best guitarist:", there are the obligatory guys we all know. I don't disagree, but when the list comes out, for me personally, I always gotta bump this cat up from the laughable range often out of the top ten, into the top three if not numero uno.