String Compliance Question

MCT

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am not a luthier, but suspect that a luthier might be able to answer this question.

I’m a happy owner of many LP’s, but one in particular has a particularly troublesome feature- no matter what strings I put on it, it feels incredible taught, and difficult to bend (I guess you’d call it low string compliance?). Top wrapping helps slightly, but not much. The string height and type is the same as all my other LP’s, and I just can’t for the life of me figure out what’s causing it. Which variables could be causing this?

The one thing I notice is that the nut and bridge saddles have grooves that are shallower than my others, but I have no idea if this could explain it.

Any thoughts would be tremendously appreciated!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
How's the bridge height compared to the tailpiece?
Compared to your other Les Paul's?

Maybe a case of high bridge / low tailpiece combo.
And high nut sluts added to the mix too maybe.
Everything "pulling" on the strings.

:dunno:

MCT

Reaction score
How's the bridge height compared to the tailpiece?
Compared to your other Les Paul's?

Maybe a case of high bridge / low tailpiece combo.
And high nut sluts added to the mix too maybe.
Everything "pulling" on the strings.

:dunno:
All my LP’s have the stopbar all the way down. And the height of the bridge is the same as my others.
I think the high nut slots may be the culprit. I may have to grab a file and bust a nut (slot)!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Assuming they are all Gibsons and the scale lengths are the same....

Is there any chance that the setup, frets, and / or neck shape are different than your others and just giving the impression that the strings are stiffer feeling?

If the strings are actually sitting higher above the first fret, because of the shallower slots, that'll make things feel stiff, for sure, especially at the lower frets.

You could measure with a tension gauge, if you wanted to get really nerdy.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
The frets might be lower on the one that's harder to play. That could make chording and bending more difficult.

Latest Threads