String Change With A Few Suprises

Nard

Reaction score
Changed the things on my Les Paul today and thought that while the strings were off the covers on the pups can come off too. I was surprised to find them wired like this so not being any kind expert in these kind of things I left everything alone. Will the covers come off without any fuss or am I asking for trouble.
09AA60F6-4728-432B-93E8-4922C54D6D0D.jpeg

While re-stringing a piece of something falls off one of the tuners.

F6AB26A6-74B9-48BE-83E4-C0B598B390CE.jpeg

This has happened a few times on an old acoustic I have and I’ve never found anywhere that can get me replacements so I’m hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction.

13CDDBA7-85F3-49F6-8075-BCECF5EEF503.jpeg

Sounds great with the new strings though

Roxy13

Reaction score
An o ring fell off your tuner. Hopefully your local hardware store has the size you need. If you need to order one online then check the oringstore.com

As for your pickup covers, I think you can do it, but of course you need to be careful and precise.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
When I picked up my battered LPC for a project guitar it was missing one of those washer things on a tuner.

I just pulled out a washer from my junk/misc drawer that fit and used that.

rogue3

Reaction score
Vintage Bill Lawrence pickups.Late 80's lesters. Nice pickups.They are wax potted,so something to be aware of before you set iron to solder.I never took mine off but i did replace them,not because they didn't sound good, but because i became a driven paf snob for a short while. Fact is those pickups are excellent to gig with.I can say that with experience.Good noise rejection and outstanding controllable feedback without squealing uncontrollably...within reason.;).

Nard

Reaction score
Just my .02c but,You won't find anything special under the covers(zebras/double whites)and if you ever decide to swap pickups and sell them they'd probably be worth more in an "untouched" condition.

View attachment 319736

If you do a reverb/eBay search for "Gibson USA "The Original" Bill Lawrence HB-R & HB-L Pickup set"

Are those Grover tuners?

https://reverb.com/item/2498035-grover-gp092-nylon-tuner-machine-head-washer-buttons-white?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5J2S9OWK3AIVDD0MCh1cXAQzEAQYASABEgKf7_D_BwE&pla=1

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=232736423327
I wasn’t expecting to find zebras (it would have been though) I just prefer pickups without covers.
The tuners are Grovers but I’ll have to look closer to home for the rings. Reverb want 3 times the price of the rings for shipping. Thanks for posting the link though.

When I picked up my battered LPC for a project guitar it was missing one of those washer things on a tuner.

I just pulled out a washer from my junk/misc drawer that fit and used that.
I used a bit of cable sheathing for my acoustic. Don’t want to be snob but I’d like something a bit more quality than one of my own hack jobs.

Vintage Bill Lawrence pickups.Late 80's lesters. Nice pickups.They are wax potted,so something to be aware of before you set iron to solder.I never took mine off but i did replace them,not because they didn't sound good, but because i became a driven paf snob for a short while. Fact is those pickups are excellent to gig with.I can say that with experience.Good noise rejection and outstanding controllable feedback without squealing uncontrollably...within reason.;).
I really like these pickups but occasionally I get wondering if there is something better to be had. I might swap them out one day just to compare them with something else but generally I’m happy.

Thanks for the replies. Learnt something new from MLP yet again. :D

chasenblues

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction.
Don’t want to be snob but I’d like something a bit more quality than one of my own hack jobs.
Well you could try pulling 1 of the un-crushed/broken nylon washers from one of the other tuners and take it to a Lowes/Homedepot/plumbing supply store and see if you/they could match it, Or get them close enough that you could adapt them to fit.

Nard

Reaction score
Well you could try pulling 1 of the un-crushed/broken nylon washers from one of the other tuners and take it to a Lowes/Homedepot/plumbing supply store and see if you/they could match it, Or get them close enough that you could adapt them to fit.
I decided to cannibalise some old tuners that were hiding in the shed. Not perfect but they’ll do until I can get hold of some made for Grovers. My local guitar shop usually go the extra mile when you need something but it means waiting for them to put in a large order for stuff. Hopefully that won’t take too long.

Latest Threads