String Change Frequency

MiniB

Reaction score
There's also a part of me that shys away from strings that have more brilliance or 'character' to them because it is so fleeting. Like if they're wonderful and sparkly out of the package, they're inevitably going to change dramatically once wear and chemistry/tarnishing sets in, which for me is pretty immediate. So in a lot of ways I'd rather start with a set that isn't particularly remarkable but stays more consistent through use. I think that's why EVH supposedly boiled his strings or such. Not that I can play like him, of course. And especially if we're talking strings that cost a premium over others...I just don't want to go down that road if I'm going to be watching them tick away so quickly, so to speak.

So for me at least going back, the Ernie Ball Slinkys and GHS Boomers kind of represented the extremes of the spectrum, from brilliant and short-lived to duller and more consistent, respectively. That's why DR's were kind of in the middle and remained that way more consistently over time.

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
.... but the DR's do have consistency issues.
I heard there were some bad runs or the like some time back....like coming with corrosion or the like? Haven't got them in a while.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I heard there were some bad runs or the like some time back....like coming with corrosion or the like? Haven't got them in a while.
I tried the Pure Blues set once, they were dead right out of the package.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Every 2-3 months for me. First, I have too many guitars and rotate them so nothing is getting a ton of playing time. Second, my body chemistry can't even tarnish gold hardware and third, I wash my hands before I play.

MiniB

Reaction score
I tried the Pure Blues set once, they were dead right out of the package.
These days I'm just getting D'Adarrios because they're easy and they're everywhere. Back when I was gigging, I'd play .011's....these days .010's but about to try the .015's.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I go through a lot of strings on setup for the guitars I build. And I include a new spare set along with the strings that are already on the guitars I ship.

I do this because they are dirt-cheap, and people like them.

I use the house brand for Musician's Friend.

Something like $2.29 per pack. I've had great reviews on them, as well as customers asking me where they can get the strings I supply. This is why I started including an extra set.

Musician's Gear Strings, 10-46

$2.29 per pack, and free shipping, even on small orders!

MiniB

Reaction score
Cool, might order a bunch of those....good for this times when you're swapping out hardware.

NotScott

Reaction score
Every 2-3 months for me. First, I have too many guitars and rotate them so nothing is getting a ton of playing time. Second, my body chemistry can't even tarnish gold hardware and third, I wash my hands before I play.
I am the same. I rotate about 16 guitars through most gigs so on average 2 maybe 3 gigs and I change the strings out. However, if I hear the wound strings starting to lose definition, they get changed regardless of playing time.

jbash

Reaction score
They went through a period of issues years ago with intonation and dead strings right out of the package. I bought a 10 pack back around 2005/6. I went though several of the sets on my Tokai and they would not intonate- complete garbage. I threw all of them in the trash I was so pi$$ed. I told the retailer I wasn't going to send them back because I did not want that crap back on the shelves for someone else to buy :laugh2:

Not long after that they started putting in the special instructions on how they needed to be crimped/bent so they wouldn't unravel, not to stretch them, etc, to avoid the issues.

I've tried them since, and didn't have any issues. Good tone, good intonation. But I still don't trust them.

NotScott

Reaction score
They went through a period of issues years ago with intonation and dead strings right out of the package. I bought a 10 pack back around 2005/6. I went though several of the sets on my Tokai and they would not intonate- complete garbage. I threw all of them in the trash I was so pi$$ed. I told the retailer I wasn't going to send them back because I did not want that crap back on the shelves for someone else to buy :laugh2:

Not long after that they started putting in the special instructions on how they needed to be crimped/bent so they wouldn't unravel, not to stretch them, etc, to avoid the issues.

I've tried them since, and didn't have any issues. Good tone, good intonation. But I still don't trust them.
My experiences with them too. However, even following their installation directions, I could not get their D strings to intonate.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever play any of the 11 guitars I have, but I have a few sets of 9-46 Brite Wires if I feel the need to replace a set.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I've used Boomers 10-46 for the last 5 years
because they're cheap and consistent. I also have tried the MF house brand and they're pretty good considering the value but they seem a little "stiffer" to me. I would use either without hesitation. I get a couple gigs
and several rehearsals out of a set so generally between a month and 2 months depending on which guitars I choose to play on a given day. Buy them in 10 packs and they're under $4.00 a set for the Boomers.

Meatwad

Reaction score
I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, and they last forever for me.
When I was gigging, I'd change 'em out every week, but these days I probably let them go way longer than I should.
It's usually the D string that gets to where I can feel the wear from the frets.
That's when I swap 'em out.

Acoustic is another matter altogether.....I use a lot of alternative tunings, and that kills strings pretty quick, so they get changed more frequently.

jbash

Reaction score
Pyramids are really good strings. And they have a round-core option, for the nostalgia guys who really want that 60's tone.

That's what everyone says, but my experience soured me on them.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I've been using the MF strings for set up and recently I had a pack of them that rusted within like one week on the guitar! I've never, ever had strings rust before. I have bought old, project guitars from Japan that had rusted strings on them and I figured it was due to the sea air there or something. And when I wasn't working on the guitar or playing it, I had it in a case. So I will probably continue using them when I need to make a nut and slot bridge saddles but I'm leery about using them in general.

MiniB

Reaction score
I've been using the MF strings for set up and recently I had a pack of them that rusted within like one week on the guitar! I've never, ever had strings rust before. I have bought old, project guitars from Japan that had rusted strings on them and I figured it was due to the sea air there or something. And when I wasn't working on the guitar or playing it, I had it in a case. So I will probably continue using them when I need to make a nut and slot bridge saddles but I'm leery about using them in general.
Yeah I just ordered some for essentially that. Got a new ES-335 coming in and may be trying different bridges and tailpieces with it, so at least to have some inexpensive strings around in case I need to go through some in a short time. But if they sound good they'll also stay on until I change, too.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I change my strings when they become hard to fret. Tone wise, all strings lose their treble after a rather short time, but I can crank more in with my amp controls or with a 10 band graphic EQ. So when a guitar becomes a PIA to play, I change strings. As "my tone" is not very treble oriented anyway, my strings last a long time for me. As far as brand is concerned, I use EB cobalt, Curt Mangan pure nickel round core, and DR Pure Blues. Now I've had problems with the DR with the D string failing to intonate, so no more of those.

Latest Threads