String Change Frequency

MiniB

Reaction score
A little longer between changes these days, by those rates. But sometimes I'll change out with different bridges or tailpieces or such. When I was gigging it would be each gig, maybe a set would last two nights in a row. But I'd eat them up pretty fast with my skin chemistry.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
No where near that frequent.

I don't sweat much at all and my fingers aren't very acidic, so I change about every 2 months.

But I really just rely on the condition of the strings.

I have 6 of my guitars currently hanging on the wall, and they all get played at least 2-3 hours a week. Some more than others of course.

I use Gibson Vintage reissue 10-46 for the Gibson's, and Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46 for the long scale strats and tele.

I get pretty good life out of the Gibson stings, but the Slinkys I have to change more often.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I can get 2 gigs out of a set usually, unless it’s a summer outdoor gig in the heat. That usually kills a set after one show.

dodona

Reaction score
In the 70ths and early 80ths I changed them weekly. Since I'm playing flats with my jazz guitars I also change the round wounds of my rock/blues guitars within a couple of years.

jwinger

Reaction score
I play most days at the moment on pyramid maximum performance and find I change about once every 2 months. I don't mind them a bit used, as long as they aren't dead! The pyramids seem to hold up really well for me

stiff fingers

Premium Member
Reaction score
Once a week a string change and "deep clean" of one guitar, that works out to once every nine weeks for each guitar. Not often enough by Gibson standards.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Funky math, what.....

My G skrang tells me when to change..... Listen to the G. The G will set you free....

When I change skrangs, first order of biz is to take my small mineral oil board rag (size of a pack of smokes Vic lifted) and grip each rag'd skrang between fingers and run it up and down a time or two.... Puts an extremely thin layer of mineral oil..... Oxidation mang...help prevent oxidation caused by yo fanger kank gnawing on the skrang.......

MiniB

Reaction score
I can get 2 gigs out of a set usually, unless it’s a summer outdoor gig in the heat. That usually kills a set after one show.
Depends on the strings, too....at least to me it did. It used to be that Ernie Ball Slinky's would maybe last a long first set before they went really dead...then GHS Boomers stayed more consistent, but they weren't as brilliant even from the outset. DR's seemed to work well overall, and now that I'm not gigging as much even regular D'Adarrios seem to hold up pretty well since I'm not working them as hard in general. Some have claimed they're all the same strings, so maybe a lot of it was in my head.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Depends more on the string brand for me. Some strings I'm lucky to get a week out of. Some I may get 2-3 weeks.

MooCheng

Reaction score
tend to keep 'em on longer than I should

I change them more often on acoustics, every 3 or 4 weeks. On electrics they last ages

mdubya

Reaction score
I change the wound strings when they start to wear through the windings against the frets.

I rotate through all of my guitars regularly, so I can't really guess how much play they each get.

I buy 10 x big E strings, 20 x A strings, and 30 x D strings at at time. I don't change the plain strings unless they break (almost never) or I am doing a full cleaning and setup (2-3 x/year).

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Using NY/XL 9s I can get three 3 hour gigs and 4 rehearsals before they're on death's door.

jbash

Reaction score
Depends on the strings, too....at least to me it did. It used to be that Ernie Ball Slinky's would maybe last a long first set before they went really dead...then GHS Boomers stayed more consistent, but they weren't as brilliant even from the outset. DR's seemed to work well overall, and now that I'm not gigging as much even regular D'Adarrios seem to hold up pretty well since I'm not working them as hard in general. Some have claimed they're all the same strings, so maybe a lot of it was in my head.

People who claim all strings sound the same are tone deaf or ignorant. Sorry, but that's the truth. Fine if people don't really care about the difference, but to say it's not there is a bunch of non-sense.

Might as well say all guitars sound the same, all pickups sound the same, all tubes sound the same, all magnets sound the same, all amps sound the same.

Some people like to say that because there are only a handful of string manufacturers. D'adarrio for example makes a WHOLE LOT of strings for other brand names, including big boys like Fender and many, many moons ago they made Ernie Balls. But those string formulas are provided to D'addario, and they make to the spec they are given.

So no, it's not in your head-Different things are different.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I’ve been bouncing back and forth between Ernie Ball Rick n Roll and D’Addario pure nickels. They seem to outperform all the others I’ve tried. But I have not tried the super expensive boutique strings... I can’t see paying $12+ for a set of strings no matter how long they last.

MiniB

Reaction score
People who claim all strings sound the same are tone deaf or ignorant. Sorry, but that's the truth. Fine if people don't really care about the difference, but to say it's not there is a bunch of non-sense.

Might as well say all guitars sound the same, all pickups sound the same, all tubes sound the same, all magnets sound the same, all amps sound the same.

Some people like to say that because there are only a handful of string manufacturers. D'adarrio for example makes a WHOLE LOT of strings for other brand names, including big boys like Fender and many, many moons ago they made Ernie Balls. But those string formulas are provided to D'addario, and they make to the spec they are given.

So no, it's not in your head-Different things are different.
Of course there's also pure nickel, or plated, hex core and round core, etc. So there's a lot of variation there as well.

I gravitate towards nickel-plated, hex core for my Gibson's, round for Fenders.

MiniB

Reaction score
I’ve been bouncing back and forth between Ernie Ball Rick n Roll and D’Addario pure nickels. They seem to outperform all the others I’ve tried. But I have not tried the super expensive boutique strings... I can’t see paying $12+ for a set of strings no matter how long they last.
I've noticed much more difference in acoustic strings, and what I need from them. Mainly I've need strings that have good projection and stay that way for a long time, but not some of the tinnier bronze-alloy mixture ones. And then they also had to hold up against corrosion. Elixers were just horrible. It didn't matter if the coating stayed slick, it felt and sounded like someone put a condom over the strings.

By recommendation I tried what was at the time the Martin SP set, and it was great. Really rang our, but wasn't hard or metallic, and stayed nivce and lively over the course of many months....and then a year back or so it looked like they didn't sell them any more. But apparently the current Lifespan 2.0 Martins are the same string, so Ill be trying those out soon because i've had a set on my acoustic for about a year now! Donb't play it that much.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
I tried some of those silver $25 a pack German round core pure nickel strings one time on my old KWS strat. Green & White package, can't recall the name. Handmade. They also make some less expensive ones in an orange package for around $12

I have to admit the tone and feel was like no other pure nickel string (or any other) I had tried. Made my guitar sound more 3 dimensional. Great feel. The next morning, one of the plain strings was like a sitar. I thought my guitar was messed up, but eliminated everything else. After hemming and hawing about removing it because of the price, I did and replaced it with a plain slinky. Problem solved. No more sitar sound. Just got a bad string (ball end issue is my guess) First and last time I used them.

Slinky Classics and DR Pure Blues are my go-to's for pure nickel, but the DR's do have consistency issues.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I believe people when they say the boutique strings are way better tone-wise, but it’s really not cost effective for me, given how many times a month I play out (in non Covid times that is).

Latest Threads