String Breakage Revisited

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRBQ,

What the hell are you posting about? This thread is about strange string breakage on an acoustic guitar. Do you have any idea what is causing that?
Hasn't that been asked enough already?

I'll say it again:

#1 Nobody can be 100 % certain what's going on, unless they have the guitar in their hands.

#2. Nobody can do a thing to make much of a difference without proper tools and materials.

#3. After all this trouble, all this "armchair speculation" and Monday-morning quarterbacking, it's best left to a pro, in a pro's shop.

Anything other than that is pure speculation.

And that speculation has been pulling the OP in every direction possible.

Two separate threads full of posts.

Time for someone to cut a decision and be done with it.

In addition:

It is not your job Dole, to tell other members what they can and cannot post about.

Maybe NRBQ doesn't have yet another off the wall, speculative idea about it. And that would be a blessing.

I"m about This >. close to closing the thread.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Hasn't that been asked enough already?

I'll say it again:

#1 Nobody can be 100 % certain what's going on, unless they have the guitar in their hands.

#2. Nobody can do a thing to make much of a difference without proper tools and materials.

#3. After all this trouble, all this "armchair speculation" and Monday-morning quarterbacking, it's best left to a pro, in a pro's shop.

Anything other than that is pure speculation.

And that speculation has been pulling the OP in every direction possible.

Two separate threads full of posts.

Time for someone to cut a decision and be done with it.
Given that all breaks were right where the string crossed the saddle and Mark told me what to do to fix that....I hope it is fixed now.... even if I had taken it to Mark to fix the only way to know if it is fixed is to play a few times. I played several times today, once for a solid hour playing hard. If it is not solved then it is going to Mark. I MIGHT pull strings off and look for any signs of cutting. The string angle is not sharp enough for it to be kinking. I appreciate all of the advice. I DID contact the best luthier I know of and I did EXACTLY what he said to do to avoid an hour and a half drive to his house for something he said I could easily do myself.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, now that I've cooled off from the irritation, I will address this in summary.

Man had a problem with string breakage. Every bit of advice was offered, much of it good.

Man decided to change strings. A fair process of elimination. Yet still, and although lessened, there was still string breakage.

More advice was offered. All the usual tells; string break angle, lubricating the nut slots, smoothing the bridge, etc etc etc.

All things such symptoms would indicate were covered.

After that, there's not much else that can be said, except "take it to a really competent pro".

Yet everything goes sideways. So much so, people started making sport of it.

..and it did get funny.

But in the end, Steve decided to listen to exclusive, proprietary advice from his pro, and was offered method to cure the problem.

Good on him. That's the way to go.

Anything further, the guitar should be taken to said pro, or another, really competent pro to get results.

Now, we don't need 26 more pages of armchair speculation as to what's wrong, do we?

Dolebludger

Reaction score
OK, close this thread. And know I do not run this forum. But may I make suggestions about it?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, close this thread. And know I do not run this forum. But may I make suggestions about it?
Glad I have your permission. :)

And you did make a suggestion upthread. And a good one at that.

I'll bring it up to Alex. I think a live perf forum would benefit this place.

But please, leave the moderating to the staff.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Lt Dave,

i didn’t mean to imply that you needed my permission to close a thread — which you clearly do not. I was just giving my opinion that this thread had pretty well run its course.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Not looking for advice or answers just following up.... I polished the saddle with 600 grit then 0000 steel wool. Played 2 solo gigs no issues. Played a gig with the band and BOINK broke another string. I got to thinking I have not broken a string when playing solo..... then our fiddle player who occasionally switches to guitar BOINK broke a string......few minutes later BOINK he broke another one. Him and I talked and neither of us can hear our guitars so we are playing REALLY hard trying to hear our guitars. SOOOO I think the saddle had issues that I fixed but I play really hard anyway...add in that I can't hear it and there ya go. I want to use my in ears to stop it but then I can't hear the other guys. It's funny when I listen to a video I can hear myself fine. On stage not at all even though our mains are behind us. AAAAGGGHHHHHH.LoL

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Know what I'd do? If I did everything in my power as an amateur guitar repairman (I'm decent) and couldn't fix it... I'd post about it. Then I'd take it to a skilled professional

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Another update........ was still having issues so I sent very detailed pics to Mark Kaiser. He looked everything over, asked me a few questions and determined it is NOT the guitar. I am just beating the shit out of it. So last nights gig I grabbed a lighter gauge pick. Was a bit more conscious of my right hand and got through the first band gig break free. I never break em solo so it tells me it is the noise on stage and me just playing so hard trying to hear.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I beat the bejabbers out of an acoustic sometimes and can't remember ever breaking a string. Maybe don't dig in so hard? :) A softer pick helps for sure. I rarely use a pick, so that may be why I don't break strings. I hate the sight of blood on a spruce top :laugh2:

Latest Threads